III.

III.

A Chapter by Kristen

        Draco and Hermione layed back to back in their king size bed, their normal ritual after a fight. It had been ten whole months since they moved in together and it had been fun the first six months. She didn't know if they were a couple, or not, but they only acted like it at times. It was a fine line for them. They'd kiss like lovers and act like best friends. They slept in the same bed, but never had taken anything past an innocent makeout session. Hermione didn't mind. They were only having fun. 

        Hermione reminded herself how much Draco had hurt her in those past months as well. He had brought many girls into their bed, her bed, actually. He had had sex with those girls, expecting Hermione to be willing to sleep on the couch without warning her of his guest first. He was rude but Hermione brushed it off most of the time. They had known each other for thirteen years now, and knew how the other operated. It didn't always work well though.

       Hermione sat up slightly and leaned on her elbows. She looked to Draco.

"Are you awake?" she said.

"Yeah." He whispered and rolled over to face her. "I'm sorry."

"I know. I am too." she smiled, weakly. He sat up into Indian style. He held out his arms, and Hermione moved over into them. She layed across his lap into his broad chest. She could feel his subtle heartbeat and she smiled. He was calm, and she was glad for that.

"Do you think this is working? " he said, quietly. She knew this talk would come sooner or later.

"I thought it was. Obviously, we have our issues, but what roommates don't?" He rubbed her back as they talked to keep her calm. He sighed against the top of her head. "Do you know what you want?" Draco's hand stopped in the middle of her back.

"What do you mean?"

Hermione hesitated. "I mean, with a girl. There's a fine line between love and wasting your time." She looked up at him from his chest. He was looking ahead, but Hermione couldn't read his facial expression. He sighed, and rubbed his face with his free hand.

"I've no idea, 'Mione, in all honesty. I guess I'm just messing around right now."

"Well, what are we?" Hermione regretted asking, but was curious, so she waited for an answer. She felt Draco shrug.

"I don't know that either. What do you think we are?"

"Roommates, but..." Hermione hesitated. She looked at Draco again and he was staring directly into her hazel eyes. A shiver went down her spine. "I don't know. We're confusing." She felt Draco nod and he started rubbing her back again. She closed her eyes.

        Hermione woke up to the sound of sizzling food. She smiled as she rolled over onto her back. She rubbed the tiredness out of her face and got up to put her robe on. She walked down the hall of the loft to find Draco in boxer-briefs and a Chudley Cannons shirt. Hermione smirked when she realized it was one of Ron's old one's that he had once given to her. She decided not to bring Ron up to Draco. She didn't need more of his feelings on her mind.

"Good morning, Miss Granger. You're looking dapper, as always."

Hermione laughed at the lie. Like every morning, her hair was puffed out and the small amount of mascara she always had on was now clumped together to form three or four giant eyelashes. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and rubbed her face once more, going over to the counter and sitting herself down.

"How'd you sleep?" she asked. Draco shrugged, his back now to her.

"Alright, I guess. No better or worse than normal."

Hermione looked down at her hands, dejected. They had spend nearly all night cuddling. They didn't plan on it, but she woke up a few times in the night when her head was in Draco's chest, or his head was on hers. They had fallen asleep in each others arms.

"Smile, Granger." Draco said. He had stopped cooking to look at her without her realizing it. She half-smiled and leaned on her arm. He walked over to her and kissed her forehead. "Don't be sad. You know what I meant."

Hermione looked up at him through her bangs, and sighed. "I know. I'm just confused for now." Draco nodded in understanding, and Hermione thanked him, mentally. He finished up breakfast and placed a full plate in front of Hermione. As she dug in, the doorbell rang and Draco went to answer it.

"Hey, Potter!" Draco exclaimed. Hermione shot up and ran to greet her old friend. She hugged Harry, and held on for awhile. It'd been months since she had seen him. He was so busy with his job that he rarely got time off. When he did, Hermione only saw it as fair that he spent his time with Ginny.

"How have you been?" Hermione asked, excitedly. She pulled him over to the sofa and sat him down. She poured him a cup of tea as he told her about all the trips he'd taken to other countries and how many wizards he'd met. She was so fascinated by the stories, she didn't realize how much tea she had drunk until he asked about her. Draco sat next to her, his hand on her knee. She liked this. A couple of the people she was most comfortable with, joking and telling stories. It was lovely, and suddenly she missed her teen years.

         "Bye, Harry. Don't be afraid to drop in anytime!" Hermione called after Harry as he walked out the big oak door of their loft. He waved one final time before looking around to make sure no one was watching and apparated away with a small pop. Draco looked too, and saw a couple of Muggles walking their dog.

"How did you ever convince me to move to Muggle London?"

Hermione smiled, fondly. She knew he loved it here. The Muggle world had been so new to him when they first moved in. She turned to him and wrapped her arms around his chest. He seemed slightly surprised but hugged her back.

        Lover? Friend? Together? Not? Hermione groaned. She'd been laying next to Draco for three hours, restless. Hermione had finally admitted to herself that she longed for Draco to love her. It was all that could explain her odd behavior around him - all the kissing and hugging, the jealousy and aggravation. Her heart raced when she thought of them together. She had only felt like this once before and that was with Ron, and it didn't end well. She didn't know if she was afraid of love or if love was afraid of her.

"Draco?" she whispered. His face scrunched up.

"Hmm?" he groaned, dreamily. She hesitated and waited for him to open his eyes before she spoke.

"Do you love me?"

He stopped stretching and looked at her.

"'Mione, it's three thirty in the morning. Do you really want to discuss this n-"

"Yes." Hermione cut him off and he looked appaulled. He sat up and faced her.

"I do love you. But I don't know what kind of love you're talking about."

"Any kind of love. I just need to know on some level you love me, so I stop driving myself crazy." Draco looked puzzled at her.

"What do you mean, dear?" Hermione's eyes glazed over. She loved the pet names.

"I don't know about you, but I think we're a match made in heaven." she said, quietly. His eyebrows raised at her, but she couldn't read his eyes. The gray in them seemed to sparkle as he stared into hers. She didn't dare look away. Her stomach fluttered as he kissed her. To her, this kiss felt different. She didn't know how Draco felt, but she felt more spark. His hands moved to right under her jaw as the kiss became more fiery. His lips unlocked from hers, and he smirked as Hermione opened her eyes.

"Let's try." he said, simply. Hermione's insides felt like they were going to burst from giddiness. They both smiled hugely at each other, and Hermione leaned in to kiss him again.

"Let's start tomorrow though, cause it's four in the morning and I have work tomorrow." Hermione giggled. Draco nodded and kissed her once more before laying down and holding out his arms. Hermione took the invitation, and put her head on his chest.

          She wasn't afraid of love, nor was love afraid of her. She longed for love. It finally made sense to her.



© 2011 Kristen


Author's Note

Kristen
This will have sequals.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love it so far. Couldn't stop reading these first three parts! Can't wait to see what happens next :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 22, 2011


Author

Kristen
Kristen

Middlebury, IN



About
Ohai. x) I'm Kristen. I'm in high school. I like Harry Potter, obviously. Proud Slytherin right here. I have an obsession with Dramione and Drarry. But I'll basically read any pairing. :) more..

Writing
Mhmm. Mhmm.

A Story by Kristen


Yeah. Yeah.

A Story by Kristen