V.

V.

A Chapter by Kristen

             "...he’s sensitive, people bully him, too, and he feels lonely and hasn’t got anybody to talk to, and he’s not afraid to show his feelings and cry!"

 Hermione looked up at Draco Malfoy. The words Moaning Myrtle had said about him were nearly heartbreaking, but Hermione still felt doubt that Draco felt any emotion besides anger. Hermione found it hard to believe that Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin Prince, had the capability of feeling real love, and to apologize and feel guilty. She shuddered. It would be grander than anything in the world to hear his thin lips say 'I'm sorry.'
  His hair, usually slicked back pompously, was now elegantly disheveled, slightly tousled to the side. His fingers were in his hair and she knew he was deep in thought. They were two of the nine people in the classroom. After all, it was free period, and she felt the need to study, like always. Draco did too, apparently because he was sitting in the corner with three books and several papers in front of him. His eyes were rimmed with pink, and Hermione realized he had probably skipped classes to study as well. She sighed, picked up her books, and carried them over to him. He looked up at her, startled. His eyebrows furrowed when he realized it was her.

"What do you want, Granger?"

"To help you study. You look troubled." She tried to smile, but all that showed up was one corner of her mouth tilting upward in an awkward fashion. He continued to glare at her, hoping she would go away, but she ignored him and sat down.

"Granger, do you realize what it would do to my reputation to be sitting with a filthy Mudblood like yourself?" His words didn't hurt Hermione. She was used to it, anymore. Plus, she was keeping Moaning Myrtle's words in mind and kept telling herself to give him time. "Really? Not going to leave? Fine." Hermione kept the awkward smile plastered on her face.

"I'm just giving you a chance. Unlike everyone else."

Draco looked up at her again, his eyes slightly shocked. She had gotten through to him. And he knew it was true. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Touche, Granger. At least you use your head. But that's nothing new, right?" He smiled at her, and her stomach fluttered with nerves. She's never seen a genuine smile from him, only smirks and condescending laughs. Hermione glowed on the inside. She made Draco Malfoy smile.

Hermione nearly taught Draco everything she knew, his mouth agape when she talked about his worsts subjects. He copied down all her notes and was very cooperative with her. Hermione was surprised about how open he was to her helping him study. They had talked about other things besides school, like where they were going on holiday, what they wanted to be when they 'grew up' and other various things. Hermione expressed how she wanted to move back to Muggle London near her parents, and Draco tried not to sound awkward when he responded. Hermione regretted mentioning the Muggle World. Draco touched her hand to assure her it was alright.

"It's our seventh year. I'm getting used to the Muggle World being mentioned. Plus, if I'm going to work at the Ministry, I'll have to get even more used to it. It's not a big deal, Granger. Really."

Hermione smiled, weakly and nodded.

"So why Muggle London?"

Hermione shrugged, "I've no idea. It just makes sense. Plus my parents are there, and I won't have them worrying constantly about my well being if I'm only a few blocks away. It just feels like home."

Draco nodded in understanding. "I haven't been back to the Manor in ages. It's just empty anymore. My mother's fled the country and father's in prison, obviously. All that's left are the house-elves and the animals. I'm debating on just letting someone else take it. I don't know if I want it."

"Malfoy Manor is your home though. It's been in your family for generations. Don't you want to get married and start a family, and have a big house like the Manor? I've envied you about that since I saw it. It's huge! And I'd kill to have a giant family living there."

Draco shrugged. "It's just full of bad memories. All the times father yelled, or was angry, when he'd hit me..." he trailed off before continuing. Hermione looked up from her lap and saw a tear run down Draco's cheek. He rubbed it away quickly and looked around, even if they were the only two in the classroom anymore. He put his face in his hands.

"I'm so sorry, Malfoy..." was all she could whimper out. She heard him sniffling and sobbing behind his hands. She moved to the other side of the table and wrapped an arm around him. 

"I just miss him, you know? Even after all the pain and embarassment he caused, all the people he killed and tortured, I still have it in my heart to love and miss him."

Hermione couldn't believe what she was hearing. Draco did have feelings. She rubbed his arm and shushed him as he blubbered.

 

          Nine months had passed since that one faithful free period. It was now February, and Hermione sat at her desk at the Ministry of Magic. Draco Malfoy strolled up to her in his normal work robes, his blond hair combed over and his eyes bright.

"Morning, love." he smiled and kissed her on the cheek. She beamed back at him and sighed.

"Good morning, love. How's Lucius?" She was honestly curious. Even though the man did not approve of her and Draco's relationship, she still cared and worried. Draco's eyes lit up even more.

"He's doing better! He's starting to talk again. He said 'I love you' when I left. I was downright startled. I mean, that was all he said! Nothing else during the whole day. He just blankly stared at me sometimes and smiled randomly."

Lucius had been transferred over to St. Mungo's in November because of his growing insanity. It had been a roller coaster for Draco and Hermione just tried to be a supporting girlfriend.

"That's fantastic, honey. Is it lunch time already?" Hermione checked her watch and smiled in relief.

"Yes, and it's time for our Valentine's Day lunch. So, I think I will kidnap you for an hour or so." He beamed at her. He was so adorable when he got excited. Once she had her coat on, he grabbed her hand and they Apparated to Hogsmeade. They stood outside Madam Puttifoot's Tea Shop, and Hermione sighed. Draco always knew where to take her.

"I love this place!" Hermione sighed as Draco intwined his fingers in hers once again and looked at her with his gray eyes.

"I know, love." he nearly whispered. He squeezed her hand as they walked inside to find the semi-packed shop bubbling with laughter of the couples seated in the booths along the wall. Heads turned as they to their table. People were still in shock that the gorgeous Slytherin Prince, Draco Malfoy had settled for a filthy Gryffindor Mudblood when he could've easily had someone just as gorgeous and pompous as him. Others found them to be a nearly perfect couple, saying that opposites attract and how Hermione had mellowed him out.

They both ordered butterbeer and Hermione looked up from her menu at Draco. His eyes were the brightest she'd seen in a long time and she chuckled at him.

"What?" he said, his eyebrows now slightly furrowed.

"Nothing. You're adorable." she smiled, biting her lip.

"I love you."

Hermione froze at his words. Her throat was not dry and her stomach flipped. She opened her mouth to speak but couldn't say anything. Draco's eyes suddenly looked rejected and hurt. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

Hermione opened her mouth again, "No! Draco, it's fine. You just caught me off guard. I love you too." She smiled and touched his hands. He searched her eyes to make sure she was telling the truth and smiled back at her.

"I do. I really do." Draco whispered.



© 2011 Kristen


Author's Note

Kristen
No song for this one. Just felt like writing something fluffy. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on June 22, 2011
Last Updated on June 28, 2011


Author

Kristen
Kristen

Middlebury, IN



About
Ohai. x) I'm Kristen. I'm in high school. I like Harry Potter, obviously. Proud Slytherin right here. I have an obsession with Dramione and Drarry. But I'll basically read any pairing. :) more..

Writing
Mhmm. Mhmm.

A Story by Kristen


Yeah. Yeah.

A Story by Kristen