Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Yes

        

Oh, God what was he doing? I knew exactly what he was up to, and I knew I didn't want to stop him... but I didn't know exactly what I was doing. Hopefully he does, I just kinda closed my eyes and tried not to think. It worked. I felt his hot, sweet breath. I could taste it too. Better than anything I could have imagined. Then he pulled back, worry on his face. He was afraid he offended or started me with his boldness. I smiled and hugged him closer to me. He inhaled sharply, in pain. I loosened my grip, mindful of his ribs.

I laid my head on his chest and listened to his heartbeat. He laid his head atop mine again. I don't know how long we laid there like that, it felt like only a minute, while in reality it was more like twenty. My life just couldn't get any better right now.

        James said that he would like me to go, for my mother would be waiting for me. By my watch, I've got about an hour until my mother would head for home. James and I agreed to meet at the Veteran's Memorial Park, about halfway between Saint Mary's and my place. I found myself agreeing to this, even though I didn't know how I would justify spending at least an hour in the park to my parents. I suppose I could say I wanted some fresh air, as it was late in the spring, when the air's really fresh. Late spring is a very beautiful time of year in Michigan. The trees are budding out, and the grass is greening up. Veteran's Park has a large water fountain, with tulips planted around it. They just started the water flowing now that the frost has seeped from the ground.

 

~

 

My goodness, I could not stop thinking about Nora. Her sweet, honey-brown hair and green-flecked eyes. I could never think a beautiful girl like that could enjoy spending time with a boy like me. I mean, I'm short, and scarred. And not the good, hero-of-war kind of scarred, but the little-helpless-child kind. I had decided to tell my mother of Nora Bubell.

I told her everything, right from the moment I met Nora in the storeroom. Mom said I did all the right things. I made my feelings clear, without plainly stating it. I tried o be cautious, take it slow. However, she said that if something feels so natural that it could just happen without me thinking about it, maybe it should happen. Mom was saying I could have kissed Nora today, and it would have been okay, if not wonderful. My mother is always so full of wisdom, and always willing to share it.

Mom also asked if she could meet Nora, face to face. I promised that one day she would, and I was just too afraid to scare Nora off. I knew Mom would understand, it was all part of taking things slow.

 

~

 

I watched Nora approach, a happy bounce in her step, her straight brown hair swaying as she walked. I was sitting on the edge of the fountain in Veteran's Park, a single white tulip in my hands. I rose to my feet as she approached.

Nora received my gift with all the grace of a very dignified woman. It was about three o'clock, and I could see Nora had accompanied the rest of the Bubells to a midday mass, for she was still in her Sunday best. She wore a long, dusty rose dress with satin trim. She looked gorgeous. I, on the other hand, wore a large t-shirt and well-worn jeans. She looked like she was going to an elegant dinner, and I looked like I was going to work in a barn. The contrast was quite comical.

We sat and talked about everything, from asteroids to her last, and very exciting, trip to the zoo. That story ended with her annoying cousin Rick in the emergency room, having been bitten by the goat he was terrorizing in the petting zoo. We also planned to eat lunch at the Monteray Diner. The Monteray has been in business since the early 1900's. It started out as a fine dining establishment, but when Tradewinds Supper Club came into town, The Monteray became a disco, complete with a mirrored, spinning ball and light-up floors. It then evolved into a cute little diner with red vinyl seats and a lunch counter. It has since been the same. The Monteray sees a lot of business from the retired men who enjoy a cup of coffee every morning, and from the crowd that makes the three-minute walk from Jefferson High during lunch hour.

Before I realized what I was doing, I leaned in closer to Nora, my mouth open, my nose touching hers. I followed my mother's advice and leaned in to kiss her. Her soft lips met mine and we stayed that way for what felt like an eternity. Finally, our lips parted. She leaped to her feet, a grin brightening her face. She proclaimed she was anxious for our lunch together, and she must be getting home to her parents before dinner begins. I rise and give her one last kiss before she bounds away. I walk slowly back to Saint Mary's, worry deep in my heart.



© 2009 Yes


FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG I love the ending just making me want to read more lol

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Added on April 27, 2009


Author

Yes
Yes

MI



About
22 / Female / Fine Arts Major (Theatre/Web Design/Arts Management) I write for me, and I'm here to share it with the internet. It will be full of typos and strange, strange grammatical errors, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Yes


One One

A Chapter by Yes


Two Two

A Chapter by Yes