Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Yes

        

As they sat down in class, Nora and Serena looked at each other and laughed.

“You look like you slept in your clothes.” Nora commented.

“Hey – didn't you wear that shirt yesterday?” Serena asked.

“Well, I presume you slept at the hospital.”

“Yes, and now the question is why aren't you wearing a clean shirt? Where did you spend the night?”

“Room 16 A of Saint Mary's Sanctuary. I fell asleep, and James didn't want to wake me.”

“Oh, so thats you're story...” implied.

“It's not a story, it's the truth! I fell asleep, nothing more and nothing less. Any news about Alex?”

“He's still in a coma, but he's reacting to changes in his environment. He'll shiver if he's cold, and stuff like that. The doctors say that's a good sign; it means his coma's not too deep.

“Well, that's good news.” The rest of the morning passed without incident. Nora shocked James and Serena by suggesting they go and sit by Jared, Tim and Justin.

“But they killed Mike, and put my Alex in a coma! Why should we sit with them?” Serena protested

“Exactly. If we can forgive them, the rest of the school can too. Christi Johanson was dating Mike, right? Do you think we could get her to join us?” Nora explained.

“I don't know her. Maybe Serena would be enough?” James said, understanding her plan. Serena rolled her eyes and reluctantly agreed. They got their meal and sat at the once-crowded table in the lunchroom. The rest of the school watched and wondered. Why wold Serena sit at a table with he people who put her boyfriend in the hospital? Why is she smiling? Gradually, their attention wandered. Then, Serena rose from the table and strode across the room to Christi Johanson. Tall and blonde, Christi would have made a wonderful trophy wife if not for her loud mouth and obnoxious behavior.

After Serena finished talking to Christi, she returned to the table, Christi in tow. After a few minutes of conversation, Christi's smile was as big as Serena's. The whole room was in shock. They killed Mike! How can Christi stand to be around them? An apology is just not good enough. Isn't Christi sad over Mike's death? How could she have forgiven them so quickly? What could Serena have said to her?

What Serena had said was key. It wasn't much, but apparently, it was all that was needed. Shje said they weren't bad people, they just made bad choices, so did Mike, and so did Alex. She said these men needed to be forgiven, by herself, Christi, and the rest of the school. She said it's just as hard fro these boys, they killed their friend. That was all the convincing Christi needed.

Gradually, more people began to filter in to the table, and soon, the table was crowded once more. James and Nora looked at each other, smiles bright on their faces.

 

~

 

Goodness, I could not stay away from that girl, which was probably why I am sitting cross-legged on Nora's back lawn, patiently staring at the purple-veiled window I knew to be hers. I was hoping she'd stand at the window, just to look at the dimly-lit grass. I had decided, that if she doesn't come to her window, that I shall throw small stones at it until she rises from her bed to see what the noise is. Of course, that was the tactic to which I had to resort, and it produced the desired effect. I had myself a pajama-clad Nora slowly exiting her house via the sliding-glass door that lead to the patio then bounding gleefully, barefoot, across the grass to me. She greeted me with such enthusiasm, it would make you think she hadn't seen me for weeks, even though it only had been a few hours since I left her at her doorstep, after sitting with her for hours in Alex's hospital room, watching him breathe and talking about life.

I had come to tell her, well, warn her more like, of my fear of becoming like my father. I figured it was only fair, even though I would break my heart if she left me. I wouldn't blame her though.

We sat below an ancient maple tree as I decided the best way to tell Nora of my fears. After a few minutes of deliberation, I decided there really is no good way to tell a girl something like this, so I began our conversation with one simple sentence:

“Nora, I believe I've got something to tell you.” I began.

“What is it?” She asked, snuggling closer to me.

“I'm afraid.”

“Afraid of what?” She asked, the smile fading from her face.

“I'm afraid I'm going to be just like my father, I'm afraid I'm going to hurt you.” I said in all one breath.

“You silly boy.” She said, the smile on her face brighter than ever. “I don't believe you would ever hurt me, or anyone else. You're sweet”

“But boys with abusive fathers tend to grow up to be abusive fathers and husbands. It's a proven statistic.”

“Who says you have to be part of that statistic? You're a wonderful person. I don't believe I will ever have a reason to fear you, either. Every boy who was abused doesn't grow up to be abusive. It's not a given thing. I'm really not worried about it.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Really really.” Nora replied. I just smiled and pulled her closer.

“You're not at all afraid of me?”

“You've given me no reason to be.” She replied. “I've already told you that.”

“I know, I just can't believe it. How can't you be afraid of me?”

“Because you wouldn't want anyone to feel the pain you do. You're a kind man, James.”

We talked and we kissed for about another hour, until I said that it is getting late, and we have school tomorrow. She reluctantly agreed, and snuck back into her house. I made my way back to Saint Mary's along the dimly-lit street.

As I approached the cathedral, I recognized a red truck in the church's parking lot. The window was rolled down to invite the warm breeze, and to facilitate the smoking of many cigarettes, as the small pile on the asphalt would show. I decided not to react; to pretend I didn't see the truck sitting there. I strode boldly across the street and up the steps to the Sanctuary. As soon as the tall doors fell shut behind me, I broke into a run.

 



© 2009 Yes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your story so far its good and keeps me interested throughout the whole thing! I can't wait to read more! Good Job!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
1 Review
Added on April 27, 2009


Author

Yes
Yes

MI



About
22 / Female / Fine Arts Major (Theatre/Web Design/Arts Management) I write for me, and I'm here to share it with the internet. It will be full of typos and strange, strange grammatical errors, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Yes


One One

A Chapter by Yes


Two Two

A Chapter by Yes