Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Yes

        

Nora bounded into the kitchen happier than she'd been in months, her face still frozen in a grin.

“What's got you so happy?” Amy asked her daughter.

“Remember how I said I was going to the park to get some fresh air?”

“Yes, you were gone for more than three hours.” Scott told his daughter, disapprovingly.

“Well, I was getting some fresh air, and I was with a boy. Don't worry, he's real sweet. You don't need to worry about him breaking my heart, he's far too tactful for that.” Nora proclaimed happily, realizing these words were true as she spoke them.

Scott and Amy exchanged worried glances. “Honey, you still have to be careful. How long have you known this boy?”

“Only a day, but we had all afternoon together yesterday and a couple hours in the park today. I'm really getting to know him well.”

“Yesterday afternoon, you were at the Shelter with me. Are you meaning to say you met him there? What's his name?”

“James Shepherd. Yes, I met him at the Shelter.”

“Shepherd? I may know his mother, Tina Shepherd. She's been volunteering while staying at Saint Mary's. Is James staying with her?”

“Yes, James is staying at the shelter too. I met him while working in the kitchen.”

“As long as you are good to each other and safe, than I don't see any reason you shouldn't be together. When are you seeing him again?”

“Tomorrow. We're going for lunch at the Monteray.”

“Just be back to school on time, you can't be missing too much class.”

“I know, Mother.” Nora said, rolling her eyes.

“It's a mother's job to tell you all this stuff, weather you want to hear it or not. I just can't turn you free and hope you come back all right.” Amy replied.

The rest of the meal continued in silence. After she was finished, Nora trudged upstairs, showered, and fell asleep dreaming of a beautiful boy.

 

~

 

Fresh from his shower, James made his was back to room 16 A of Saint Mary's. He planned to tell his mother all about the three hours he spent by the fountain with Nora, but when he opened the old wooden door, he found his mother weeping as she sat upon her bed. He quickly ran to comfort her. James placed his hand upon Tina's trembling one, fearful of what she might say. He pulled her closer to him as they sat on the bed.

“Mom, it's okay, what's wrong?” James asked lovingly.

“Oh son, I want to go back. As cruel as your father has been to us, he can provide for a family.”

“What do you mean? We're going to do just fine by ourselves. We've got a place to stay, and you'll find a part-time job. You can't go back to Dad, you won't survive his anger.”

“I have to. I must. Do you know what our last fight was about?”

“No. I wasn't home for the arguing part.” James replied with a look more worried than it was moments before.

“Well, as it turns out, I'm pregnant. I can't support you and a baby. I'm going to have medical bills, and I'll have to buy new things for this baby. I just can't do it.”

“But Mom, we have to. If we went back to Dad, he'd kill us. Talk to the church. I'll bet they can help. Saint Mary's gets donations of baby stuff all the time. I'm sure they'd have a crib and some blankets, and maybe a stroller we could use. You'll get a job, and I can too. We're still covered under Dad's insurance, so that will help with some of the bills. If we have to, we can ask the church for some money. We can make it, I know we can. What choice do we have?”

“I know. But I can't raise another child alone! That's a lot of work, and I don't think I'm up to it.”

“I'd help, and Nora would. I'm sure people here will help you too. You can do this. Mom, you're stronger than you think. I can promise you will not be alone. Besides, if it really becomes too much for us to handle, we can put your baby up for adoption. I'm sure somebody would love to adopt your baby.”

“Thanks.” Tina said, wiping the tears from her eyes. “You really believe in me, don't you?”

“Of course I do, you're my mom. You can do anything. You got us away from Dad. I believe in you.”



© 2009 Yes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on April 27, 2009


Author

Yes
Yes

MI



About
22 / Female / Fine Arts Major (Theatre/Web Design/Arts Management) I write for me, and I'm here to share it with the internet. It will be full of typos and strange, strange grammatical errors, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Yes


One One

A Chapter by Yes


Two Two

A Chapter by Yes