I Hear Voices

I Hear Voices

A Chapter by TopHatGirl

    My eyes peeled open, sticky with tears. Struggling to see against the dark, I saw that the time was 2:08. I groaned, and rolled to my other side. I squeezed my eyes shut, and tried to get back to sleep. No luck. There was a faint echo in my ear, quieter than a whisper. I covered my ears with my pillow, but I could still hear it.
     Do you think she can hear us? a tiny voice said.
     Shush, she probably can. another said, irritated.
     Can I give her it now?
      Not now. Later.


      And then it was quiet.



    ~*~


     I woke up, a bright stream of light coming through my window. The sun was up in the blue sky, and it was telling me good morning. Birds tweeted outside my window, singing songs. I groaned, and closed my window. Damn nature. I half blindly undressed, then pulled on a pair of faded blue jeans with a tear in the left knee. After pulling on a 'I Heart Nerds' t-shirt, I went into the kitchen, pouring myself a bowl of cereal.
     Crunching slowly, I thought about the divorce. As a little girl, I never thought my parents would separate. Even though most of the time they fought, I assumed marriages are forever and ever. How wrong I was.
      Dumping my bowl and spoon into the sink, I flopped on the couch, turning on the television to watch some cartoons. It was that yellow sponge character on, and I was too lazy to change the channel. I laughed at the mindless humor, because it made me feel less sad.
      I spent the afternoon watching TV, playing video games on the computer, and rehearsing my script. My performance was at eight o'clock, so I had plenty of time. I looked around for my good luck bracelet, that helped me win my track meet in 7th grade. I remembered that Chris had "borrowed" it for his championship football game. Men.  I knocked on Chris' door.
      "Chris! Are you in there?" I asked. No answer. I creaked the door open. His room was a complete mess, even messier than mine. Clothes scattered everywhere, dirty plates on the desk, and a lampshade without its lamp on the floor. The whole place reeked of pot. But no Chris. My necklace was on the desk, next to his laptop. I picked it up, and clipped it around my neck. Looking around, I noticed a leather-bound book poking out of the bookshelf.
        Being the nosy little sister I am, I pulled the book from its place. Opening it to the first page, in Chris' surprisingly neat handwriting read 'Journal.' I knew that a journal was actually a diary, and that name was just to sound less girly. I giggled. Chris kept a diary? Blackmail time. I flipped to the first entry, dated eight years ago, when he was eleven.  I expected something about a cute girl, or how mean his teacher is. But instead I got this:
   
          April 11, 2002
     
      Mom was being mean to me, because I had mentioned something about Melody's adoption. Mel had been saying,
       "Mommy? Why didn't I get your pretty blonde hair? Why do I have black hair?" Mom had said she didn't know.
       "Liar," I had said. Mom turned to me.
       "Christopher Willhorn Clarke, did you just call me a liar?" she demanded, her face all big and mad.
        "Well it's true! You know that you're not her real-" Mom covered my mouth with her hand.
        "That I'm not her real hair color, you mean? Thats right, because I'm blonde," she said. I was mad. I didn't mean to say that. I meant to say,"because you're not her real mom." Why is she so freaking obsessed with keeping that secret. Melody is adopted, big whoop. I just hope Melody doesn't freak out when she finds out like 20 years later like they do in the movies.

          
I shut the diary. Adopted? I shook my head in denial. How could I possibly be adopted? They're baby pictures of me in the photo album. I remember playing with my dad when I was 6. But not one memory of foster homes. Surely Chris had been mistaken? I sighed, and shook it away from my mind. Putting the book back, I walked out of his room, closing the door gently behind me. My performance is in one hour, and I should get ready.


© 2010 TopHatGirl


Author's Note

TopHatGirl
Thanks for waiting out the delay.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This chapter seems like an insert. Stream line the opening part before you get to the journal/diary.

The diary doesn't sound like a boy would write it and it doesn't sound like a diary, more like a novelist wrote it. Be more informal. Also, we don't know much about Chris, so maybe mel could hopscotch through a couple pages first, revealing her brother a little more to the reader and then BAM! the adoption thing as a kicker....

Just a suggestion, (see my over view at the end) this is a great story, it's workin' girl.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Can I give her it now?
You could say, "Can I give it to her now?' Wow, Shocker! she's adopted! well can't wait to see how her paren's will react when she tells them she knos!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hmmm, adopted? Intresting.

You have a lot passive sentences. On your editing, remember to revise sentences using "was" and "is" as the verb.

Anyways, wonderful job. Hope you continue.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2010
Last Updated on May 15, 2010


Author

TopHatGirl
TopHatGirl

[Redacted], NV



About
Hi, I'm TopHatGirl! If you're here about my character lessons or to get some advice, email me instead of messaging at [email protected]. This is because I don't go on this site as much anym.. more..

Writing
chapter one chapter one

A Chapter by TopHatGirl


chapter two chapter two

A Chapter by TopHatGirl