I See Things

I See Things

A Chapter by TopHatGirl
"

Chapter 4.

"
   I fiddled with my lucky necklace in front of the bathroom mirror. It was a small silver circle, with emeralds encrusted along the side. I don't know how I got it, because my mother said I had had it when I was very little.
   Maybe your birth parents gave it to you,I thought. Quickly, I pushed the thought away. Melody Clarke, you are not adopted, I thought stubbornly. I begun applying the bright red lipstick. It was the color of a fresh new red Crayola crayon. I never wore much makeup, except for my electric blue eyeliner that went past my eyes and swooped down into swirls. But being cast as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, red lipstick was a must. I sighed, and changed into my costume. A plaid blue dress and red sparkly shoes. My long black hair didn't quite fit the picture of Dorothy, so I had to bunch my hair into a wig. The wig was itchy, so I occasionally had to scratch my burning skull up on stage.
   My cell phone buzzed on the counter-top. I flipped it open.
   "Hello?" I asked. I heard a muffled sound on the other end, and some static. Soon a voice spoke.
   "Hi, Melody? It's Mom." Her voice sounded sick, like her throat was full of flem.
   "Oh, hi Mom," I said, sitting on the closed toilet.
   "I am so sorry sweetheart, but I won't be able to make your play tonight," she said sadly. I stood up.
   "What?" I asked.
   "Again, I'm sorry. But there's an emergency at the hospital. All of the nurses are on call," she said. I was about to stomp my foot on the floor, but that would seem teen drama-ish.
   "B-but, I've been rehearsing this for months!" I protested. I heard a sigh on her end.
  "I'll make it up to you, I promise," she said. More muffled noises. "I'm sorry, Melody, but I have to go. Good luck!" I snapped my cell shut. So nobody's going to my play. I already knew Dad wasn't going, he worked late on Saturdays. I opened up my phone again, and punched in a number. It began ringing.
  "Hello?" Chris asked.
   "Chris. It's Mel."
   "Oh, Mel? Hi. What's up, little sis?" he asked.
   "I need to use your car," I said. I still couldn't believe Chris got a car before me. He got his license at eighteen! There was a long pause on the other end.
  "Didn't I ride my car to Hannagan's party?" he asked, mostly to himself. I opened up the curtains an inch. Chris' beat up Karmann ghia was still parked in our driveway.
   "Nope," I said, leaning against the wall. I tapped my foot while he registered this.
   "Oh." He laughed. "That's right, I got a ride with Britt."
   "So? Can I use the car?"
    "Sure, little sis. Break a leg, Dorothy," he said, then hung up before I could say thanks. I stood there for a few seconds, thinking. I didn't know he knew I was Dorothy. He wasn't here to hear me talk about it ever. I shrugged to myself, and gathered the keys from the clay key bowl I made in third grade. Then I pulled out of the driveway. Driving down the road, I held back even more tears. My parents weren't even going to be at my huge debut. Well, not really a debut. God, I'm pathetic.
   I sighed at the third red light. I'm going to be late, and Ms. Cris will be pissed. I could almost hear her lecturing in my head. When I was little, I used to think I could change stoplights. Just by thinking green thoughts. Green trees. Green Popsicles. Green grass. As I looked up at the glowing red, I closed my eyes and hoped. Then I heard a honk from behind me. The light had turned green, and the drivers were pissed at being held up. I quickly pushed on the gas pedal.
   I was almost there. I sighed with relief. Then a flash of green and blue darted onto the road. It stood in the middle, frozen. I slammed on the brake, causing the car to jerk forward. Ouch. Serious whiplash. I looked at the figure. It was a girl. With green skin. And blue hair. She smiled at me, showing sharp teeth. And, the most startling thing, wings. Big wispy wings, looking like spiderweb silk. I gawked at her. When another car came speeding up behind me, and crashed into my car. Metal and glass went flying. I remembered with agony that there wasn't any airbags in this car. My face slammed into the dashboard. And I lost consciousness.
  


© 2010 TopHatGirl


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

TopHatGirl
Will Melody be okay? Who(and what) was that girl? And does Chris have car insurance? Find out in the next chapter of: Midnight Circle!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have once question. If she hates the name Mel why did she use it with her brother? Why was he so causal with it to if she hated people using it? Just a comment that you might want to think about. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This chapter shows the emotional confusion of your MC, cool. But it's a bit disjunct. Even a tornado moves in a perceivable direction. (see my over all review at the end.)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lol, ur author's note sounds like something that'l have at the end of a soap opera! :P Anyway i'm sure the girl was a fairy and melody will b ok. She has to be alive for the rest of the book right?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 5, 2010
Last Updated on June 14, 2010


Author

TopHatGirl
TopHatGirl

[Redacted], NV



About
Hi, I'm TopHatGirl! If you're here about my character lessons or to get some advice, email me instead of messaging at [email protected]. This is because I don't go on this site as much anym.. more..

Writing
chapter one chapter one

A Chapter by TopHatGirl


chapter two chapter two

A Chapter by TopHatGirl