In Which We Meet Sam

In Which We Meet Sam

A Chapter by T.W. Knight

Day Two of school and a fucked up one at that. I showered and shaved then went to my closet. My closet is like a salad. Just a mix of shirts and jeans with underwear falling from the top. I got out a gray shirt and black jeans. Instantly, my mom orders for me to change into preppier clothing. She walked out and I silently said no as she and my little sister walked out of the house. My dad had already left for work before I woke up.

I had choir first period. It was all male, and all stench. The teacher was ratty, the students were mostly athletes or R.O.T.C. Cadets, and the temperature was over 85 degrees. I could barely breathe without the stench. I notice a familiar face off with a couple of football players in their team shirts. It was the guy from my World Geography class. The bell rang and the teacher lined us up. He was the only one to do roll call.

I caught his name. His name was Sam Benete. His voice was very low so it was typical that he was a bass vocalist. When the teacher called my name, my voice cracked. To my surprise, I heard little laughter. I was placed as a temporary tenor vocalist. He warmed up each section separately and we began. He wanted us to learn a Latin song for the mid-term performance. I faked my way through the pronunciation when the tenor vocalist sang. I heard the bass vocalist sing their part nearly flawless. He called out a few baritone vocalists for timing and pitch problems.

After class ended I was able to catch Sam. I couldn’t read his expression when he turned around. His light blue eyes gazed into my mud brown eyes. I felt a spark and then he turned away. It seemed like he was ashamed to look at me.

I had French 1 at the opposite side of campus. Boy did it take a while. Crazy at it seems, I got there just in time to catch my breath before the bell rang.  French class was all over stuff that we already knew like bonjour, madame, and au revoir. I went through class finishing two sketches of shoes and backpacks. When the bell rang, I was shocked back to reality.

I caught Sam at lunch. I sat across from him. He took one look at me and looked away. I said hi and boy did he go off. He was up in arms about me being around him. He ran off before I could get another word out.

The bell rang just seconds after. I had Health class. It was normal. The teacher went over basics on health. Before class was over, the teacher ended with ”And in conclusion, don’t be stupid. That is health class in a nutshell.”

My last class was Physical Training. I hated it. By law, we were required to take a semester of the class, or one of its alternative like R.O.T.C. or an actual team sport. The class spent the day learning the rules and the requirements, and then we went outside. I saw Sam with the football team across the field. I had trouble concentrating on the coach when he ran through drills. I don’t know why. Class ended early and I hightailed myself home.

Home. I was sweating a storm from being outside too long and running home. I got in a shower before my mom came home. Lucky me, she didn’t know I was wearing the clothes that she didn’t approve of (again). However, she did confront me on taking another shower.

I politely answered with the fact that I had P.T. but she didn’t bite. I went back to my room,  put on a dark blue shirt and jeans, and did my French and Health homework. I sneaked out my MP3 player and blasted Sia to drown out the world.

Let's not fight I'm tired can't we just sleep tonight

Turn away it's just there's nothing left here to say

Turn around I know we're lost but soon we'll be found

Sia’s lyric says what I couldn’t tell my parents. They never listened. Today was a perfect example. My dad was late for dinner and my little sister was in her room listening to a questionable teen pop song. My mom blamed me for exposing her to it. I don’t even like American pop music that much to be honest.

My mom had to make a big deal about it. I didn’t expose my little sister to anything really. I am usually far away in my own world that I barely talk to anyone, anymore. I just wanted to run away and break the bottle within me because I can’t say anything to my parents without getting in trouble.

I fell asleep crying. The thought that kept me from going insane played in my head. Soon I’ll be found. Soon.



© 2012 T.W. Knight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012


Author

T.W. Knight
T.W. Knight

Round Rock, TX



About
"If life was a book, I'll hate the ending." I am a creative madman that does way too much. Writing may be a hobby for me, but that is where passion spawns from. I pursue many creative outlets such as .. more..

Writing
Block Block

A Poem by T.W. Knight