One Big Happy Family

One Big Happy Family

A Chapter by T.W. Knight

Winter break came faster than I anticipated. Snow was starting to fall, and Sam’s relatives started to come. He had a big family. They came by and by. I just was baffled at the size.

First, his cousins that lived in the mansion came over. Then, his cousins from his mom’s side of the family entered. After that, both his grandparents came literally hand in hand. Next, his four aunts and uncles came in pairs. His front door just was revolving at each family member.

I felt like an outsider. He has a close family and I don’t even know mine all that well. Sam came to me and asked if I was doing fine. I apparently was speechless for over an hour.

We walked outside to the cold winter. I couldn’t help it, but I looked at my house. He lead me in the opposite direction. We walked almost a mile to a hill overlooking downtown. It was all lit up with different colors.

“I always escape here when I feel lost,” Sam broke, “For me, it’s a place away from the chaos of the house.”

“Yeah, I only had my room, and they still barge in. I never knew peace like this until I met you. I should feel sad, angry, violent, but I don’t.”

“You saw a week.”

“I can’t pass judgment yet.”

“My uncle Ted, the six foot one, is a police officer, and my aunt Agnes, the one with the D’s, is a lawyer. We can get your sanctuary back this weekend if you want.”

“I would love that, but I am building a new one because the old one didn’t have room for you.”

“Well then, I guess we can do that.”

“Shouldn’t we go before they eat lunch.”

“Like I said, you don’t know them. I cook the meals.”

“Well then, lets go.”

We got back home and both of us went into autopilot. He and I cooked up a dinner for everyone. He and I did it fluently and vivaciously.

We all sat at the table. Uncle Sal, who is a reverend, started grace, something I never done before. He slipped in a prayer for me and my troubled time. This was nice.

Uncle Sal asked,“So Gregg, how have you’ve been?”

“It’s been going. It’s like I told Sam earlier, I should feel sad, angry, violent, but I don’t.”

“Thank the Lord for that. He keeps us sane in his arm.”

“Yeah, I’ve just been…”

“Tired,” Sam finished.

Aunt Agnes started, “Oo you two. So Gregg, how long are you staying.”

“I guess until he gets tired of me.”

“Highly unlikely.”

Her husband, I believe he was Uncle Stan, rudely said “Im just glad that we don’t have any gays here or Heather would have another one of her meltdowns.”

“Yeah I heard about that.”

I spoke up. “Yeah that was me and Sam.” It went quiet. 

Then Uncle Stan spoke up, “No wonder she decided to stay at college.”

Sam’s father rose and said, “Sam, you’re sure he’s the one one?”

“Yes dad,” Sam quickly responded.

“Pay up Sal.” Uncle Sal gave Sam’s dad a twenty and dinner conversation resumed, like nothing happened. We were one big happy family. It made me feel more alive.

It was getting late. Sam and I decided to turn in early. He went into his room, and I went in to mine. I got out my mp3 player and turned on a song I forgot I had. Kelly Price TIRED rang through my ears. I air played the keyboard, an echo of my past.

I played the piano long ago. I soon sang along as the song’s intensity grew. Tonight, I finally broke down and cried. I am finally awake. I am finally happy. I am finally found. And these tears will disappear. I soon fell asleep, finally, happy.



© 2012 T.W. Knight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow amazing story great job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012


Author

T.W. Knight
T.W. Knight

Round Rock, TX



About
"If life was a book, I'll hate the ending." I am a creative madman that does way too much. Writing may be a hobby for me, but that is where passion spawns from. I pursue many creative outlets such as .. more..

Writing
Block Block

A Poem by T.W. Knight