Chapter 8: Hopeless

Chapter 8: Hopeless

A Chapter by Doogie

I close the back door and sit in front of it. I put my head in my hands as I breathe heavy. How is this happening again? Why tonight? I get up and peer out the window. A row of skinny figures stand in the dark staring. I turn around and drop again. I pull my phone out but it’s dead. No way to get ahold of Zach. He’s in the basement. I need to warn him. I rush over to open the door and warn him but it won’t open. The slide is open too. I hear shouting downstairs. Oh no he’s in trouble. I try harder to open it but it still won’t budge. I hear something rush down the stairs. It’s Comet. Beans must be hiding under their bed upstairs. He looks vicious but he’s a big baby. Comet rushes to the back door and starts barking. I grab a butcher knife.

I slide from the kitchen into the dining room. I look outside and they stare at me pointing at me through the dining room window. I stay low and crawl under the table. Comet continues to bark at the back door. I look into the living room. It’s lightly lit due to the candles. The girls must be hiding behind the couches. I can’t see them. I see two faces appear in the front windows. Creeping. Their big black eyes searching. They move eerily. Then I hear a crash downstairs in the basement. What the hell was that. I hope Zach is safe. The creatures vanish and I creep over to the wooden frame glass door. I creep it open. As I do Comet stops barking. I get chills as I quietly enter the living room.

I hear crying in the dark. Looks like they pushed the couch and love seat forward a lil to hide between them and the walls. Two windows are behind the couch. “Psst, It’s Dan.” I warn them. “Are you ladies alright?”

The crying slows down. “Yeah we’re just scared. What’s going on? We saw some weird looking things outside and hid. Both our phones are dead.” Maggie whimpers.

“So is mine. These are what took my mom. We need to get out of here.” I respond. I slide in-front of the entertainment system to the hall. I look towards the back door. Comet is frozen. Poor guy doesn’t deserve this. The back door shakes then opens slowly. Light from outside creeps into the kitchen. The walk eerily in slowly. I hear the basement door open. Oh no Zach. One looks towards the door and it’s followed by stumbling downstairs. Then the basement door slams shut. It touches the door as if confused. Then a cabinet door opens and they turn towards it. One of them walks into the dining room. Then the television turns on and starts blaring white noise. My heart skips a beat and I rush over to hide behind the couch. Creatures walk start walking into the living room as it shuts off. The only light coming from candles or the front windows.

I peer over the couch. Their grey skin cutting through the dark from the candlelight. The dining room light starts to flicker. They turn and head into the next room.

“I’m gonna open this window and we’re gonna sneak out.” I tell them then right before we here something hit the front poor floor. The sound cuts through the silence. The creatures look back toward us. But we stay low. I peer around the corner as they start coming this way. I can see one in the hall waiting for us to use the front door. As they lurk towards us I hold onto the knife tight. Then the sink turns on. The one in the hall turns. The others stop right beyond the couch. Hovering over. The candles all blow out as it gets darker. Then a chair falls over in the dining room. They head back to the dining room. The back door slams open. Glass breaking as it hits the refrigerator hard with force. They go to investigate.

I get up and unlatch the window and slide it up. Maggie goes first then Rae. As Rae escapes the window shuts on her ankle and she screams. Maggie covers her mouth quickly. She gets her foot out and the window shuts and won’t open. I turn around an one of the creatures comes out of the living room corner. I never saw it there. It was lurking and watching in the shadow. I grab the knife again and slash at it as it lunges. It’s big eyes staring into my soul. I spin and it knocks onto the table. I stab at it a few times. I look behind me and several are standing there. I panic and throw the knife at them and then turn and jump through the window. I land hard into a chair as glass scatters everywhere. My whole body hurts. I see a screwdriver on the ground of the porch and grab it. Wonder if this is what made the sound.

I get up and see the ladies staring ahead. I walk over to them and look where they are. A line of the skinny creatures stands ahead. We are surrounded. We can’t run away. We are hopeless. All we can do is try to hide and survive. I remember seeing a ladder next to the house. I rush and grab it and set it up to the top of the porch. They just watch and point. I let the ladies go up first before I do. I pull up the ladder. They start walking to us and I throw it at the them and we enter through the spare room window on the left.

We walk into the hall. I look over the railing down the stairs and I see them slowly coming up. They’re so silent as the stairs don’t even break. Rae panics and runs into the master bedroom across from the spare room and locks the door. Crap i think. We to need to find somewhere to hide. I turn around and one of them was watching through the spare room window. I shut the door. We walk over to the next room. My old room in the corner. My brothers old room was next to it then the attic door. I don’t want to get trapped up there. We stay low and sneak into my room as a skinny figure walks across the window outside. I lock the door and we both sneak into the the skinny closet. I hold her tight. She’s been going manic the whole times. Now we have to hope they’ll leave.


© 2023 Doogie


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on April 7, 2023
Last Updated on April 7, 2023


Author

Doogie
Doogie

Denver, CO



Writing
Prequel 1: Endless Prequel 1: Endless

A Chapter by Doogie