Chapter 10: Into the light

Chapter 10: Into the light

A Chapter by Doogie

We could sense them all around as we hid in the closet. They’re quiet but it feels like the house is full. The closet is pitch black and tight. Maggie softly whimpers as I hold her tight. We hear a door open out in the hall. Then a minute later we hear screaming followed by silence. She starts to panic so I cover her mouth. We hear another door. It must be my brothers old room. We’re next. They’re going to find us I think. Two minutes later we hear the bedroom door start to open. Then we hear a slam outside in the hall. Must have been the bathroom. That might distract them. We relax for a second before we see a light flicker a few times under the closet door. What is this ghost or demon doing? One second it feels like it’s helping us then the next it’s trying to get us caught. What do you want from us I think?

The bedroom door starts creeping open again but then we hear it slam back shut. Next we hear the window slide up. I picture those creatures creeping in through it. Sneaking closer and closer. The bedroom door open back up as well. We’re the final ones I think. I kiss her forehead. I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you from the horrors of the world I think. The closet door slowly starts to creep open. She’s about to have a full on panic attack. An arm reaches towards us from the dark. Then we hear a low growl. The door keeps slowly opening and we can see several of their faces. It’s like staring into a nightmare. Before the one touches Maggie we hear barking then Beans comes out from under the bed and jumps onto the creature. He shakes violently with his teeth around it. What a good boy I think and I pull out the screwdriver and start stabbing at the next one. The bedroom light starts flashing like strobe light. Whatever else is here is enjoying the violence. Everything feels like it’s in slow motion. The move even more scary this way. I tackle one to the ground and keep stabbing. As I look up I see more coming through the window and door. The growling stops and I look over at Beans who is frozen. Then I look back at Maggie as they grab her. Their long skinny fingers and slender hands all over her. I failed her. After all we’ve been through I couldn’t protect her. I’m a failure. The attic door across from my door opens. I go into a rage and try to get them off her as I start to float then get launched onto the wooden attic stairs and the door slams shuts and locks.

I bang on it and yell but it won’t open. I hear foot steps walk up the stairs but don’t see anything. I decide to follow.I feel like an idiot in a horror movie going into the attic. I get to the top and look around and see a figure in the middle in front of the windows. The basement light turns on and it’s one of them. I have a weird sense this one is familiar. I take a step forward and my body freezes as a tear rolls down my eye for being a failure. It stares at me for a minute. Then I hear a voice in my head.

“I told you we would make your life hell” it says as it stares into my soul with its huge black eyes. “There is no where to run. You humans think you’re so smart and special. But you guys are the bottom of the food chain. You might be tough on your primitive world. You have nothing on us. You’re planet has been around four billion years in a universe that’s been around almost fourteen billion. We figured out what you people call quantum mechanics billions of years ago. You guys have been around for a second compared to us. You wouldn’t even exist with out us. We were searching around for a habitable planet to watch and be amused. We got tired of your dinosaurs. Idiotic beast. So we took care of that. When mammals started taking over and the rise of primates we manipulated them to work on creating your species. We were the missing link. We wanted something with more intelligence to watch. Neanderthals got boring. It all got boring. It was like watching our past. When we were primitive billions of years ago. Now we can travel the universe in a split second. You humans are entertainment. We also experiment on your kind to help keep our species alive. Sometimes we harvest your organs for us and bodily fluids. Sometimes we check on you or do small experiments. Sometimes we take some as pets. Others we just mess with. Others it’s for pleasure. Sometimes like me it’s just for revenge. Like from that barn years ago. I killed your father. He was onto our secrets. We just missed out on grabbing you that night.” Around me looks like a video as I see my dad fall over and shout. Then his body freezes and is raised up before a noose is put around him before he unfreezes and suffocates. Tears come from my eyes as I watch and can’t do anything about it. “You don’t even want to know what happened to your mother or your potential sister. We can do whatever we want and you can’t stop us. For extra fun over the centuries we altered and formed monsters to terrorize your kind across your planet. Monsters in the seas and lakes. Primate type monsters from the mountains to swamps. Your experience in Nepal was one of them. Chupacabras in Puerto Rico. Monsters that are told in children stories are based off things we created and released. Every monster you ever heard of was from us. It was all for fun. The one thing we can’t figure out is your afterlife. There is no magical heaven but your energy goes to a different dimensional plane. Somehow things like ghost can exist since their energy never goes away. Somehow humans were able to will demons into existence even though there is no hell like you think. Hopefully one day I can experience these higher dimensions but we defeated death. We don’t die from sickness or old age. You humans are what keep us alive. We once destroyed the ancient city of Mohenjo-Daro to see what would happen.” I can see the destruction of an ancient city all around me. Bodies all over the place. “With all the death we couldn’t see anything. That television show ancient aliens you humans watch was correct. The ancients worshipped us as gods. Your ancient text are full of stories about us. One of our creations was even a pharaoh of ancient Egypt. Sometimes we got bored and caused chaos just to see how they would react. Natural disasters and plagues were from us. Atlantis used to exist till they turned on us. They were so loyal and devoted and we treated them special. We advanced their technology. Then at some point we decided it would be better to hide. Sometimes we still cause a little chaos. Like I said we are your true gods. We are your creators. We are your masters. Sometimes when we come and check on you we freeze you while you are asleep. Sometimes we like to scare you a little. Sometimes we like to play games and hunt your kind before abducting you. That’s why your forgotten memories are all different. If we wanted to we could take you and you would have no idea. What am I going to do with your brother and his girlfriend and yours? I’m going to make them live a never ending nightmare of their worst days or fears. The other two are meaningless. We took extra people down the road that could have witnessed us taking your brother. I’m glad you got to be last. I was hoping we could hunt you again. Now that you’re more grown up we can have more fun.” The creature reaches out and touches my face. I’m frozen in fear and disgust. This is to much. I wish I could die right now. A loud hum comes out of nowhere. As all I can see is white light surrounding me. The whole attic fills with it. As it covers everything. The camping trip I ran deep into the dark. Years later it’s the opposite as I’m swallowed and go into the light.





To be followed with the conclusion in Vol 3!


© 2023 Doogie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on April 11, 2023
Last Updated on April 11, 2023


Author

Doogie
Doogie

Denver, CO



Writing
Prequel 1: Endless Prequel 1: Endless

A Chapter by Doogie