In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 1

In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 1

A Chapter by Yosh

Copyright ©2024 under United States Copyright office, Library of Congress. All rights reserved. This literary work is protected by the U.S. copyright laws. Reproduction and distribution of the work without permission is prohibited. The offender will be traced and will face the full extent of the legal ramifications as stipulated by the law.


In another lifetime story by Yosh


Anything in bold is narration.


Anything highlighted in yellow is inner voices.


Anything in italics is stage directions.


Anything in bold and italics is context to the scene.


Anything highlighted in blue is numbered lines.


Anything highlighted in red is more information to the scene.


Episode 1:


5 years ago. Date is April 15 2018. Calista is 23 years old. 


The setting is Calista’s house. This is where her brother gets kicked out.



Dad

Line 1) I WANT YOU OUT OF THE HOUSE!


Raymond

Line 2)  But dad, I can’t just leave! For crying out loud I’m your son!


Dad

Line 3) DON’T CALL ME DAD! YOU ARE NOT MY SON ANYMORE, YOU HEAR! I  FORBID YOU TO STAY HERE ANY LONGER! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!


Raymond

Line 4) Then where will I go?! Huh! Where will I stay?! 


Dad

Line 5) I DON’T CARE WHERE YOU GO! JUST GET OUT!


Calista’s dad stands up in an aggressive way as if he is about to fight his son. His wife holds him back.


Mom

Line 6) Just leave Raymond, I beg you.


Raymond

Line 7) But mom…


Calista’s dad gets back up in the same way, but his wife holds him down.


Mom

Line 8) ENOUGH RAYMOND! JUST LEAVE!


In tears Raymond gives his house one last look, he starts for the door, but peers back inside to say one last thing. 


Raymond

Line 9) Calista! I’ll get you out of this mess! Just hang in a little longer, I-I love you! 


Raymond finally leaves, and the shot cuts to Calista crouching by her bedroom door, sobbing heavily.


A day goes by and Calista’s mom checks in on Calista at her room.


Calista’s mom knocks on her bedroom door, Calista gets up out of bed looking like a wreck to open it.


Mom

Line 10) Hey, you okay? Let’s talk.


Calista lets her in and her mom sits on her bed, and pats for her to sit next to her.


Mom

Line 11) About yesterday. I know it was rough to hear all that mess, but we’re just going to have to move on. Okay?


Calista merges into a confused expression.


Calista

Line 12) I can’t just act like nothing happened. Won’t he come back?


Mom

Line 13) No… He’s forbidden from ever setting foot in this house again. And if he does, we won’t accept him. Not unless he changes who he is.


Calista

Line 14) Mom… I-it’s not that simple!


Calista’s mom pats Calista on her shoulders.



Mom

Line 15) Keep your voice down, honey.


Calista removes her mom’s hands from her shoulders. And starts talking while she cries.


Calista

Line 16) No! I won’t! He’s my brother and he needs to be here! Because we’re a family!


Mom

Line 17) You need to calm down right now, we can’t let dad hear-


Knocking comes from Calista’s door again. Calista’s mom says in a whisper the next line.


Mom

Line 18) I told you to keep your voice down so he wouldn’t hear.


Calista’s mom gets up to open the door for Calista’s dad.


Dad

Line 19) Keep your voices down! From now on we won’t talk about that imbecile ever again, you hear?!


He leaves and Calista's mom sits back next to her and talks to her in a whisper.


Mom

Line 20) You heard him alright. We can’t talk about him anymore. This is for the better, okay? 


Calista’s mom pats Calista on the head and walks out the room and shuts her bedroom door.


Calista gets up and brings in boxes for packing into her brother's room.


Calista’s narration:


Line 21) I was 23 when my parents kicked my brother out of the house. 


Line 22) He came out to them, thinking they would accept him.


Calista opens her brother’s clothing shelf.


Line 23) But I knew our stubborn parents would never accept the fact that he was gay.


Line 24) If only they could support him the way I did.


She reaches for one of his shirts.


She gets a flashback to when her brother told her in her bedroom a couple days ago, while she is packing.


Raymond

Line 25) You still love me anyways?


Calista

Line 26) Of course I do, how could I not love my own brother?


Raymond

Line 27) Oh, Calista, I’m so glad you understand me.


He embraces her into a hug, she hugs him back.


Raymond

Line 28) Do you think they would understand me if I told them?


Calista sighs and pulls back, while still holding her brother.


Calista

Line 29) You know how they are. I’m not sure it would end well if you did.


Raymond

Line 30) Yeah, you’re right. But I can’t keep this a secret any longer.


Calista

Line 31) So, are you going to tell them?


Raymond

Line 32) I’ll come clean. And whatever happens, happens.


Calista

Line 33) What if you get kicked out?


Raymond sighs and leans his head on Calista’s shoulder.


Raymond

Line 34) I have friends I can stay with. Besides, you're moving out soon.


Calista

Line 35) So, you’ll stay with me?



Raymond

Line 36) If that’s okay with you, obviously.


Raymond playfully punches Calista. She chuckles a bit, but suddenly gets emotional, and breaks down in tears.


Raymond

Line 37) Look, this is hard on me too. But everything will be okay.


Raymond embraces her in a hug.


Calista talks while crying.


Calista

Line 38) Call me, okay? So, we can live with each other once I move.


Raymond

Line 39) I will. I promise.


They pinky promise each other.


Returns to current time, while Calista packs in her brother's room. 


Line 40) Calista: I should text to see if he’s doing okay.


Calista texts Raymond to see if he is okay.


Calista’s narration:


Line 41) I knew I had to flee as soon as possible. 


She gets done with the final box of clothes for packing. Things get unloaded from their house into a truck. 


Calista’s narration: 


Line 42) For some reason I felt unsure.


Line 43) After all, these people were my family.


Line 44) I’d never thought that one day I’d leave like this.


Calista says goodbye to her parents and gets into the truck all the way to her new apartment. In the truck the narrations continue.


Calista’s narration:


Line 45) To think that I have to go to work and act like nothing happened, is obscure. 


Line 46) My life is falling apart in front of my very eyes.


Calista arrives at her apartment where all the boxes lie unloaded.


Calista’s narration:


Line 47) I won’t speak to them ever again.


Calista gets a call from her mother.


 She glances at it and declines.


She goes to her contact list and blocks both her mother and father. 


She then goes to the contact of her brother and gives him a call. 


It kept ringing but no answer.


 She leaves a voice message.


Calista

Line 48) “Hey, Ray. I texted you multiple times but you still haven’t responded. Please call me back, I need to know you’re okay. Okay, bye love you.”


She hangs up glances around and sighs because of the situation and the fact that she needs to unpack.


She unpacks everything and hits up the store in the meanwhile to get groceries. 


Calista unpacks food and puts it in her fridge.


 She glances at the bottle of wine she bought and opens it up, and pours some into a glass.


 She also checks up on her phone to still see no notifications from Raymond.


Line 49) Calista: Come on Ray. Give me something so that I know you’re okay. 




Calista’s narration:


Line 50) Days had gone by and I still hadn’t gotten any notifications from Raymond. 


She is now at work doing her job.


She types on her computer and a coworker swings by.


Co-worker

Line 51) Hey Calista, I’ll need these reports to be examined by Friday. 


Co-worker hands over the reports and she accepts it.


Co-worker

Line 52) Are you doing alright? You look… Sad.


Calista

Line 53) Oh. I’m fine. Just having some things going on back home.


Line 54) Calista: I’m not fine at all.


Co-worker

Line 55) Oh, I see. Well, I hope you’re okay-


Another co-worker

Line 56) Hey, get over here!


The co-worker leaves, Calista follows where he’s going with her eyes.


Calista’s narration:


Line 57) If only I had someone to open up to. But I only ever had Raymond. And now he’s gone.


A month goes by and Calista is depressed in her room drinking wine while watching TV.


Calista’s narration:


Line 58) No matter how many times I would call or text Raymond, he would never answer me. 


Line 59) I hope nothing bad happened to him, but I just wonder why he contacted me back by now.


Line 60) He promised he would call, and that we would move in together.


Line 61) So, what happened?


She comes home from work and sees a paper sent by her apartment complex on her door knocker.


She takes it off the door knocker and examines it. 


Paper reads:


Line 62) New monthly rental payment has increased by xxxx dollars. Refer to complex websites for more information.


She stares at the paper in despair.


Shot cuts to her looking at her computer in despair. 


Line 63) Calista: Why is the rent so expensive all of a sudden? How will I pay this on top of my student loans?


She checks other complexes and their prices are the same or more expensive.


Line 64) Calista: I can’t believe that all rates are so expensive nowadays. What am I going to do?


She calls her landlord to speak with them.


Calista

Line 65) Hey, so about the new monthly rental payments-


Landlord

Line 66) Ugh, another one of these calls. If you’re calling to see if I can negotiate a deal, you’re out of luck. It’s the new policy. I can’t control it.


Calista

Line 67) But… Can we just talk things out? I have the money. Or at least I will in the future. You see, I have student loans to pay, so majority of my money goes to that-


Landlord

Line 68) Can’t you just have someone lend you the money?


Calista

Line 69) It’s not that simple-


Landlord

Line 70) Well, then I don’t know what to tell you. If you don’t pay the monthly bill, we’ll have to evict you.


Line 71) Calista: What? But I can’t pay it. Where am I supposed to go?


Calista

Line 72) Well, is there anything else I can do? 


Landlord

Line 73) Hmmm. I guess you could get a roommate and split the monthly rent.


Landlord

Line 74) Nobody will want to be your roommate with a one bedroom apartment.  But we don’t have any 2 bedroom selections at the moment. So, try checking some other places.


Calista

Line 75) Oh, okay.


Landlord

Line 76) Well, goodluck. 


Calista hangs up.


She lets out a slow and exhausting sigh.


She goes on the web to look for roommate listings for apartments around her.


She finds one close to work.


Line 77) Calista: Hmm, this one's close to work. That’s quite convenient for me.


She applies for the roommate listing.


Calista closes her laptop, and puts her face in her hands.


Line 78) Calista: I hope someone will answer soon. I have no other options.


3 days go by and still no one has answered. She stares at her computer in despair. 


Line 79) Calista: Ugh, why has no one answered? 


She goes to dial her brother's number again.


Line 80) Calista: Please answer, please answer.


 But he still doesn’t answer.


Calista’s narration:


Line 81) Will he ever answer again?


She gets a ping on the roommate listing.


Private message reads:


Line 82) Hi, I’m Talulla. I saw that you were looking for a roommate on the website. Lucky for you I have a spot open at my place. With that being said, would you like to meet up some time. I’m even available right now. Are you?


Line 83) Calista: What? She’s available right now?


Calista’s statement writes:


Line 84) I’m available right now as well. Where would you like to meet?


Talulla’s statement writes:


Line 85) There's this cafe nearby, xxxxxx (address), let’s meet up there.


Calista’s statement writes:


Line 86) Alright, I’ll be there in 10 minutes.


Calista enters the coffee shop. 


Line 87) Calista: It’s pretty empty in here.


She spots a girl with brightly colored hair, piercings, tattoos, and punk styled clothes.


Line 88) Calista: Is that her?


She walks over.


Calista

Line 89) Hi, are you Talulla by any chance?


Talulla

Line 90) Oh, yeah. That’s me. You’re Calista, right?


Calista nods her head.


Talulla

Line 91) Alright. Well, have a seat. Let’s chat a bit.


Talulla smiles at Calista.


Line 92) Calista: I hope this will work out for me. I can’t help but feel nervous.


Talulla

Line 93) What do you think about this cafe? I come here all the time. They have good options to choose from.


Calista looks around the cafe and takes in the atmosphere.


Calista

Line 94) It’s cute here. It has a cozy environment to it.


A moment of silence passes between them.


Line 95) Calista: This is kind of awkward. I don’t really know what to say.


Talulla

Line 96) So, what are you going to order? I recommend getting the matcha latte. It’s so good.


Calista

Line 97) I’ve never tried matcha. I guess I’ll give it a shot.


Waitress walks by and they order their drinks.


The waitress brings them their lattes.


Waitress (aka Teresa)

Line 98) Both of you enjoy your drinks.


Talulla and Calista

Line 99) Thank you.

Waitress exits.


Talulla

Line 100) Isn’t it so cute?

Calista looks at her drink.


Calista

Line 101) Yeah, it looks great.


Calista takes a sip.


Talulla

Line 102) How does it taste?


Calista is pleasantly surprised by the flavor.


Calista

Line 103) You were right. It’s quite good.


Talulla looks at Calista's timid attitude.


Talulla

Line 104) You probably think I’m some punk, right?


Calista chokes on her latte.


Talulla

Line 105) See? I knew it. Don’t worry. I won’t take it personally.


Calista

Line 106) No, I’m sorry. It’s just that your question caught me off guard. That’s all.


Calista

Line 107) As for looking like a punk. I’ll admit that you do look like one. But why does that matter? 


Calista

Line 108) It’s who you really are on the inside that counts. I’m not one to judge people's looks.


Talulla

Line 109) Huh? Really? I didn’t think you would respond like that.


Talulla

Line 110) I’m glad to hear that you sound like a good person.


Talulla

Line 111) That makes you one step closer to becoming my roommate.


Calista

Line 112) What? That quickly?


Talulla

Line 113) You’re different. You don’t make assumptions about people.


Talulla

Line 114) You’re not the first person I’ve been meeting up with about roommate business. 


Talulla

Line 115) I’ve been turned down countless times based on the way I look.


Talulla

Line 116) But you’re still giving me a chance, which shows that you want to make this work.


Talulla

Line 117) Or maybe you’re just really desperate. Who knows.


Calista is caught off guard.


Line 118) Calista: I don’t know how to respond.


Talulla laughs.


Calista is confused as to what’s so funny.


Talulla

Line 119) Sorry, it’s just you look so uncomfortable based on how I was babbling.


Talulla

Line 120) Sorry for going on a tangent there. Tell me a bit about yourself.




Calista smirks.



Calista

Line 121) Um. Well I’m just looking for a roommate.


Talulla laughs even more.


Calista

Line 122) I don't’ get what you find so assuming from what I’m saying.

Talulla

Line 123) It’s just that’s so obvious. Why else would I have messaged you to meet up like this?


Talulla

Line 124) Tell me more about yourself, you know?


Calista’s confused on what to say.


Talulla

Line 125) Fine I’ll ask. Why do you want a roommate?


Calista

Line 126) I don’t know if you’ve noticed but prices have been booming lately, which is why I need someone else to handle the bill too.


Talulla

Line 127) Alright. But you do realize that if you become my roommate, we’ll get quite close?


Calista

Line 128) That’s alright, I guess. I’m in need of friends, so.


Talulla

Line 129) Ahh. I see. Why’s that?


Calista

Line 130) I really don’t have any one in my life at the moment.


Talulla

Line 131) Not even family?


Calista

Line 132) I’ve cut contact with them.


Calista

Line 133) Just some things happened, that’s all.


Talulla grows empathetic.


Line 134) Calista: Why am I opening up about this to a stranger?


Line 135) Calista: It’s just I’ve been dying to tell anyone about this, and I guess she’s the first one to know.



Talulla

Line 136) I’m sorry to hear that. Do you at least have a sibling?


Calista

Line 137) I do, but we’ve also cut contact.


Talulla

Line 138) Mmm. That’s rough. I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going through a rough time.


Talulla

Line 139) I’ll tell you what. Let me make your life easier by making you my roommate.


Talulla

Line 140) You’ll be killing two birds with one stone. Having affordable rent, and gaining a friend. How’s that sound?

Calista smiles.


Calista

Line 141) You have a deal.


Talulla raises her latte cup. And signals with her eyes for Calista to do the same.


Calista also picks up her cup, in a confused way.


Talulla

Line 142) Cheers to the beginning of our friendship, roomie!


Calista’s eyes widen, and she clinks her cup with Talulla.


Calista’s narration:


Line 143) And that’s how I met my best friend.


Them at a photo booth.


Line 144) She came at a time, where I needed someone to lean on most.


Them eating ice cream.


Line 145) She was able to bring happiness into my sad life.


Them painting each other's nails.


Line 146) She even convinced me to do things I would’ve never done before.


Talulla dying Calista’s hair blue.


Line 147) There was never a dull moment between us.


Them watching a movie, while wearing skincare masks.


Line 148) We would go on all sorts of adventures. Life was entertaining with her.


Them at an amusement park.


Line 149) I couldn't be more grateful to have such a great friend.


Line 150) To think that after everything…


Flashes of what’s to come in the previous episode.


Line 151) She was by my side no matter what.



End of episode.



© 2024 Yosh


Author's Note

Yosh
I hope you like what you have read so far. I appreciate each and everyone of you for giving my story a chance.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe




Author

Yosh
Yosh

About
Someone that found a way to express themselves through writing. more..

Writing