Our Lips Are Sealed Part 1

Our Lips Are Sealed Part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 41

Our Lips Are Sealed

Part 1

 

Brother Nile's asked me if it was alright if had had word with Mrs. Rothwell. To say I was terrified as I said it was ok. I almost said no, considering he now knows everything and right now, even more than my Bishop. Yet when I shook his hand earlier I had to believe that he would not expose the lie.  Where was Jeff when I needed him to look inside a person soul to see whether I could trust this person? My gut tells me I can, but it had been wrong before.


All I could do is watch as he led her just outside my room leaving the door open. Not that it would matter. I still couldn’t hear their conversation under hush voices. While I waited for the hammer of doom to fall on my head when he told her that he knows that wasn’t a skateboard accident and he knows the real truth behind it all. Worst of all that I have seen my grandmother and she was still here; I was beginning to think telling someone all my dark secrets was a mistake.  Especially to someone I didn’t know that well and only lives down the street from me.


Mom came back into the room taking the chair by my bed while brother Nile's left us lone telling us that he needed to run some errands. I nodded said I would be fine until he came back. Mom frightened me, but it was worse if we were around tub full water. Even today I still can’t get the memories of it out of my head, and still, wake up in the middle of the night drenched with sweat reliving the nightmare. Mom leaned back to check if he had really left and sighed with a heavy sigh of relief. Taking her hand and grabbing my chin hard enough to let me know she was still angry. Then quickly letting it fall seeing the red marks she had left nodding she was satisfied.


I knew she wanted to punish me if she could for getting them all in trouble. Yet I was fairly safe considering she or her husband were being watched more closely. Somehow it didn’t make me feel any better knowing the shoe was on the other foot. If it wasn’t for the nurses checking in on me every few minutes either to place cleans towels and supplies or checking to see if Mom needed anything or I would have been more terrified.


Mom took a seat close enough to see the door and still be close enough so we could talk privately without being disturbed. She would start off with small talk as she watched the door and me. Asking how I was doing, and if I’d been reading my scriptures? Thumbing through them seeing my bookmark; stating that I was a quick reader. I said, “it was easy when you have nothing else to do.” Trying hard not to sound if I had a smart mouth quickly saying “I’d had always been a quick reader; reading several novels in a week.”


She nodded saying “she will remember that in the future.”


Mom leaned in closer. “So I understand that you haven’t told anyone what really happened?" I shook my head no. That I don’t ever plan on telling anyone. She stared at me for a moment before she nodded said it would be best if I don’t. And that they had enough trouble explaining the missing boy, but apparently he had been found and placed in a home for boys. Said it should be a warning to me if I ever caused them this much trouble again. I nodded that I understood.


Mom could be mean and cruel when she wanted to, but she also could be a caring mother as well when she had so much to gain from it. Knowing that I wasn’t another Arthur or bad kid like so many others they had taken in. Yet I needed to earn her trust and Dad’s if I was ever going to live long enough to escape my prison. I didn’t have Aunty M to help me. I didn’t have Jeff either. So I told her that I would never mention what happened to anyone if she would promise me that it would never happen again. I took her hand and looked her in the eye as we shook hands sealing the deal. When she broke contact first I knew she wouldn’t keep her end of the bargain.


In some ways, it was a relief because I had already told brother Nile's and my Grandmother, and we had all agreed to keep it to ourselves until we could find a way to use it against them. I had told them we needed to make sure that this never happened to another foster kid. Making me the last one that would ever be put in this home; grandma cussed using some of Aunty M’s words, everyone agreed. Brother Nile's would be close enough to keep an eye on me and having Rothwell’s committed to scouting and mutual. Which grandma was grateful for and pleased that I had the chance to earn my Eagle being the only member of her family that had.


Mom was disappointed that I wouldn’t be coming home on Friday told me that she was sorry that Dad had forbidden anyone to see me. In hopes, it gave me time to think about my actions. But has reinstated them since neither my caseworker nor Bishop Lanwall has said that I had told them any differently and only has the same suspicions as the nurses and my doctor. “Who wouldn’t” Mom grumbled, “even I could see it wasn’t from a skateboard accident.”


I was told to expect Shane around 8 tonight and Kerry in the morning and so on. Dad would stop by most likely over the weekend since I wouldn’t be coming home. She had no idea what to do because of school having it start on Monday so visits would be sporadic. That’s when Bishop Lanwall and brother Nile's walked into the room together overhearing the lasts parts of the conversation.


Mom stood quickly as he shook his hand said: “thank you for taking the time out of his busy schedule to see him.” Restating that everyone at home was getting ready for school having to spend time registering for classes and buying school clothes and supplies; Bishop Lanwall and brother Nile's played it as cool as a cucumber. Know very well that she was lying.


I was more concerned where my grandmother was. Praying she had sense enough to stay out of sight, but instead, she came into the room with one of the nurses dressed as one of them wearing a fake name tag. Told us she will be my nurse for the night and if I needed anything to just push the button. When Moms back was turned she took her fingers across her lips saying to play along.


Mom looked at the clock said, she soon needed to get back and start dinner before my Dad came home. Pretending to be my caring mother giving me two kisses one on the cheek and one the forehead stating to “my nurse” I was running hot. Watching grandma stick the thermometer in my mouth and take my blood pressure like an old pro, giving me a quick wink. Stating that Mom was right that it was spiking again at 101 and climbing. Making a note in the chart and asking if I needed help to the bathroom? I said, “yes ma’am but I could wait until my Mom left.” She agreed, But Mom wasn’t leaving saying she would like to see how my wounds were coming along for her self stating she wasn’t going to leave until then.


Grandma nearly growled but caught herself told us. “If the menfolk could give us the room that would be great, no need to expose the boy to the whole world.” Apparently, grandma wanted to have words with her “alone.” I prayed that she wouldn’t put me in more danger than I was already in. I had far worst worries other than modesty consider grandma knew every inch of me better than I did. It was just easier to play along, even though I hated the tub even more so with Mom being so near it with me in it.


Grandma closed the door as the “men folk” waited outside my room. I knew I wasn’t any danger and trusted Grandma with my life. So I let them walk me to the bathroom and undress me which wasn’t much just a simple hospital gown. Grandma turned to Mom telling her what fine well behave, lad, I was. Letting me climb into the tub and let her drench me with cold water. I shivered because it was cold, yet felt good as cold water went over my feverish skin. Mom would smile at me helping the “nurse “bath me using the soap and washrag as if I was one of her small children.


I didn’t dare tell her I could do it myself even though Grandma would never allow her to harm me in her presences. So I let her, something’s aren’t worth the fight and this was one of them. Grandma had me bend forward so she could remove the wet bandages. I stifled a scream when they stuck to the skin. Letting the soft tears fall on my cheeks. Mom watched taking a good look, grimacing that some were still quite bad and infected.


Grandma stating that the doctor has increased the number of times to change them from two to four times daily, and increased the antibiotics. Grandma stating that damage is quite extensive, a lot more than a simple “skateboard accident” saying “the boys back looks like it was torn to pieces by some sort of whip or belt; that he refuses to say any more about it.”


Mom face paled asking; “why would anyone think that?” Grandma stating that it’s not the first time she or the other nurses had seen something like this.


If it was up to them they would call Child Services to investigate, stating if it happened again and the boy still refuses they will. Grandma made her point very clear. Having me stand so Mom could see the damage clear as day from my shoulders all the way down to my butt. Even there was bruising from the night Dad took his belt to me, asking her point blank to say differently.


I stood there shaking from the cold as Grandma dried me and slipped the new gown over my shoulders and tied it loosely. Asking me if needed a few minutes to do my business while she changed my bed. Closing the door so I could have my privacy; when I was done she helped me walk back and had me roll on my stomach pulling the warm blankets up to my shoulders saying they will be back in to replace the bandages and give me something for the pain.


There is only so much Grandma could do. Not being a real nurse anymore she could get away with like bathing and feeding her grandson or checking my temperature or blood pressure; something any mother could do at home other than basic first aid. Mom didn’t need to know as I smiled saying thank you using the name tag grandma was using. Grandma stating to be a good boy and she’ll bring me in a treat. I nodded as Mom took her chair by my bed and held my hand.


Grandma let the menfolk back into the room told them “to give them a few minutes alone.” Mom was wiping the tears from her eyes as she lifted the blanket to see my back and tucked them back into place. Promising me that Dad would never, ever do it again and to please give them another chance to prove themselves to me. I nodded that I would if they keep the bargain and as long she held her end. She whispered she would and kissed my cheek asking if there was anything I wanted from home. I said. “Boxers would be nice, and more books to read.”


Mom left soon after telling me Shane will be by after dinner to watch over me. I nodded and watched her leave the room. Grandma soon came in with the other nurse and with two cans of soda and a couple of candy bars from the vending machine as promised. It still hurt when they dabbed my back with disinfectant, but I was able to lie on my back slowly letting the pain medicine kick in. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing Grandma somehow fooled Mrs. Rothwell. I didn’t have to introduce her to Bishop Lanwall considering they done so in the hall.


I had learned that brother Nile's had set her up in a hotel down the road from the hospital so she could remain closes, and have a place to stay without being noticed. Grandma was quite pleased with herself not strangling Mom with her bare hands. Thinking she could play the role well because of her training, but leaving the main duties to the real nurses. Things have changed over the years that would make this seem an impossibility.


It is all about who you know and the palms you can grease along the way; what the law doesn’t know won’t kill them. After all, they have done nothing to prevent my parents or others from abusing their own children in our eyes. I only wish the laws that are in place today would have helped me back then.


It was more like passing the baton in a foot race or the change of the guard. Saying goodbye to brother Nile's and Bishop Lanwall taking his place as he and my Grandmother stayed to get to know each other. I really didn’t need all the protection, but I was glad to have it. Grandma didn’t leave my side making sure that I had everything within reason a boy could want, and making sure I had a good size dinner. She wiped my chin having me read to her one of my novels. It was nice not having to be forced to pray. Letting the bishop say the prayer as we all had supper together. Yet time was getting away from us as we waited for Shane to arrive, and worried if we could still pull it off.


Bishop Lanwall said he felt comfortable letting my Grandma watch over me, but he wanted to discuss some things alone with Shane before leaving them both in my care. In hopes, he could pry a few of those dark secrets out of him on what is really going on in that home and in the basement. Grandma and I feared what truths we uncover in the near future, but if we could avoid it we would.


Either way brother Nile's would be close enough to extract me if he needed to or until Grandma and I could make contact with Downing’s and smuggle me out of the country. There was no way in hell would she or them have me end up in another foster home or a home for boys; even worst going back to live with my parents. We may not like the Rothwell’s, but until other concrete arrangements could be made. I would remain in that home. I told them Mom had promised me that Dad would never do it again, but I had my doubts that she would keep it.


Bishop Lanwall said he would arrange something where they could keep a close eye on me, making sure they won’t try it again. If he had to examine me himself weekly, but guaranteed that if they did and I end back in here. He’d have child services on them so fast they’d spin from whiplash. He told me not to worry about Jeff, told me he had charged him with my care. That not having him with me would make me stronger. Stronger for what was my question.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on May 9, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep