The Long Road Home part 1

The Long Road Home part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 42

The Long Road Home

 

Part 1
Dad was right. It was time to get moving. So I rose early each day at 5 am and began my walk with my guardians and a nurse whether if it was grandma or not. Instead of six laps, I did seven. Pushing myself to the limit and doing more each time every two or three hours. Dad kept his promise calling them to check if had done my walks and how many. Grandma made a chart and posted it on my wall so we could keep track. Having a nurse and my guardians sign their name below each time I took my stroll.


Even though it was work in a way as I strolled down the nursing track in my shorts and socks. It didn’t count on Sunday as being work. Considering I’d walk this far in one day regardless. I was also the cleanest boy on the floor. I knew that if I kept my word Dad would keep his and would begin to trust me. So I walked and until I could do no more and pushed myself saying one more, just one more. By the time brother Sakes and brother Nile's arrived; I had walked 21 laps and had two baths.


Brother Greg D. Sakes was mine and Shane’s Sunday school teacher and would soon become one of my closest friends whenever I needed help with anything. He taught seminary at Lehi High School and would be my teacher and adviser.


Brother Sakes fit the nerdy type stereo class. Wearing black frame glasses and straight black hair which covered most of his receding hairline; dark brown eyes that changed to gold when he stood against the sunlight reaching six feet nine inches. The most amazing thing about him was his half smile and his beak nose would wrinkle when he laughed, and he could imam-ate a penguin. If you want a good laugh after feeling bad all day he’s the guy that could turn your frown into a smile. He was also in charge of our wards boys Basketball and Baseball team.


To say God had a sense of humor as I lay on top of my blankets in nothing but my boxer and socks. With wet hair and a hospital towel over my shoulders; while others were dressed in a suit and tie. I was decent enough considering I would look stupid wearing my tie without a shirt. Yet I was fairly comfortable and no one mocked me for being well under-dressed for a simple Sunday sacrament meeting. Even Kerry was dressed in comfortable jeans and tee-shirt and going barefoot so she wouldn’t get her feet wet every time she helped cool me off. Yes God has a sense of humor.


On normal Sunday we would have church for three straight hours. But we aren’t in church so we got an hour and a half condense version. Kerry led us in song and I gave the opening prayer and brother Sakes and brother Nile's blessed and passed the sacrament. I myself have done this many times as we visited the sick and the elderly at home or rest home.

 

Kerry laid on the bed next me sharing one of my pillows asking if I needed a warm blanket, and for change, I shook my head that I was fine for now. Grandma sat in the chair next to me in case I needed anything taking my hand in her lap while brother Sakes gave the lesson and we all followed along with or scriptures taking turns reading. When we were done brother Nile's ended the meeting with a closing prayer. We all shook hands and brother Nile's said he be back tonight for our family devotional and to keep an eye on me as he winked at me and Grandma.


Shane arrived an hour later meeting us on my stroll in his bare feet, having dropped off his shoes and socks in my room and wearing a pair of shorts and a comfortable tank top. That really showed off his well-defined shoulders and abs. So Kerry could help Mom and Jody in the kitchen and prepare the Sunday meal before everyone arrived for family devotional.


By the time I made my eighth lap around the track, my doctor was waiting in my room so he could examine me. He seemed quite please noting my lap chart asking how many. Shane and Kerry told him 29 laps in total for the day so far. He looked at my back and frowning that still wasn’t making a lot of progress even though I was in less pain and I had cut back my pain medicine to twice a day. Or more if I really need it.


Asked if I would like to go out for some fresh air and some sunshine after being cooped up indoors for so long, since the hot weather would do me a world of good; I could walk around on the grass until my parents could bring in my sneakers from home. Kerry nearly hugged me to death said I would have them by tonight. By four thirty the nurses came by to take the IV out of my arm capping of the needle so they could hook me back up during the night with just the antibiotics and said there was a good chance that I could go home on Wednesday providing I kept my temperature and blood pressure down. But I still won’t be able to start school until my back could handle me wearing a shirt.


Shane and I gave a knuckle bump asking the nurse if I could go out before dinner while the sun was still up. She sighed and said as long as I didn’t overdo it having my Grandma come in with a wheelchair because it was hospital policy plus they wanted to make sure I could make it back alright. We didn’t care; I was going outside at last. Grandma could barely contain herself as she quickly took off my socks so I wouldn’t get grass stains on them. Letting Shane pop a couple of wheelies down the hallway and the three of us were off to explore the great outdoors.


When the door opened the fresh air was intoxicating as I inhaled deeply. Shane helped me out of the wheelchair. Letting me stand there letting the warm sunshine on my bare back and the green grass tickled my toes. Shane removed his shirt tossing into the wheelchair so he could lie on the grass. Knowing Mom would kill him if got grass stains on his clothes. We laughed as I spun slowly around with my eyes closed letting the hot sun playing with my skin.


Grandma laughed as we frolicked on the grass; taking a seat on the bench as she watched me and Shane walk around the large circle of grass until it was time to go back inside. So we could eat and bath me and change my bandages before for the Rothwell’s showed up for family devotional. It was sad to leave the fresh air behind, but I knew I would be back as I watched the doors closes; locking me back in for the night.


Shane watched as Grandma bathed me and dressed me in another clean pair of new shorts so I would least have two and clean pair of white socks to keep my feet warm. While I lay on top of the blankets with a warm blanket around my shoulders in case I caught a chill. We ate quickly as everyone started to arrive. Mom placing my sneakers in my closet and placing some more clean boxers and new shorts in my dresser near the bed. Leaning over to kiss my cheek and feeling my forehead smiling to see that I was doing better.


Shane telling everyone there was a chance that I could be going home on Wednesday. Providing the fever would normalize and we had just taken my first walkout side almost an hour ago; Mom, Jody and Kerry nearly hugging me too death with the news; while Dad studied my walking chart, asking the nurse if it was true. She nodded if things hold then there was a chance. But stating I wouldn’t be able to go to school until my back was almost healed.


Dad said, “we will see about that when the time comes.” But he did seem proud of my progress. That was until brother Nile's walked in the door bring in couple more folding chairs; taking a seat near my bed while Mom took the other one squeezing my hand. I knew Dad didn’t like it one single bit as his eyes glared at bother Nile's. But he calmed himself; bring the room to order while everyone found their seats in my very small room. Once again Arthur was sitting on the floor as if he was a child like Jared and Jason, while Shawn towered over him. His eyes lowered to the floor like a beaten dog. Shane and Kerry took the other bed. Grandma eyed the room telling them not to stay too long being a school night and I still needed my rest; telling me if I needed anything for me to press the button.


Dad closed the door to keep the noise level down, took his seat in the middle of the room and opened our family devotional with a hymn and a prayer. Shane began with his oral report letting the next person give theirs. Until it came back to me and Kerry telling everyone what he learned today from our own special meeting. Dad had me read one the scriptures that tied in with our lesson. Mom and Kerry helped me down on my knees for family prayer. When it was done Dad decided that he and Mom would walk me around the floor “alone.” Telling brother Nile's he could watch from my door, but they wanted to spend a few minutes “alone” with me. I was terrified until I realized grandma was watching me and Dad didn’t know about her or he would have been really pissed off. So I nodded that it would be fine, but it wasn’t fine.


By the time I had made my fourth lap with Dads hand on the back my shoulders, I vomited right there on the floor. Nearly falling as my stomach kept heaving up all the medicine and my dinner right there on the carpet and down my chest and across my feet. I was a mess. Grandma and a nurse running quickly to my sides, letting me sit there against the wall until there was nothing left, but dry heaves.


I was dizzy as I closed my eyes letting Grandma remove my socks so I didn’t track more of it all over the floor. Mom placed her hand on my forehead said. “I thought he was getting better?” Grandma simply told her. It was always bad at night; that I have been fairly good all day, but when night time comes to my temperature spikes the worst. Telling me she will call housekeeping and bring me a wheelchair and take me back to my room. I shook my head no slowly rising to ask Mom and Dad if they would walk me around just two more laps.


Dad nodded helping me up and took my hand and Mom placed her arm around my shoulders and I walked those last two laps barefoot covered in my own vomit, but I did it to make them proud and they were. Mom excused everyone to wait in the lobby as she helped me undress and bathed me herself. While Dad sat and watched and telling me how proud he was for doing what he asked; telling me how sorry he was that he pushed me so hard, but I did it and I didn’t complain I did it regardless. He said rubbing my wet hair.


Dad picked me up and carried me back to bed dressing me in a clean pair of boxers and laid me on my stomach, pushed the button telling them I was ready for fresh bandages. Leaned down and kissed my cheek saying how proud he was of me. Telling Mom to take everyone home he’s taking the day off to spend the night with me. Watching brother Nile's takes his spot to watch us; Dad grinned told him. “It’s going to be along night.” Kicking off his shoes and socks turned down the other bed. Undressed and climbed in groaning how good it felt as he watched the nurses put me back together again.


When it was the just the three of us Dad turned on the TV finding a late Basketball game asking which side I wanted Mr. Nile's ran for snacks. It was guy’s night out all over again; even though I ended up in the tub three times that night from my fever. Dad was proud of me and that was all it mattered and he snores just like Shane. When I woke at five that Monday morning, I wasn’t doing that well as the fever just wouldn’t let go. Dad helped me to the bathroom with my IV friend preventing me from falling on the floor. I had vomited all over the bathroom floor and into the toilet by the time the nurse came and wasn’t grandma. She wouldn’t be in until nine; I really didn’t need her with brother Nile's watching my back.


Dad was playing the good loving father. Placing me into the tub so I wouldn’t be standing in my own sick; running the tub to help break the fever. While he sat on the edge of the tub with the door open. Using the bucket the nurses were using to cool me off. He would slowly pour cold water over my chest and my back until the nurses could attend to me and helped me off with my wet boxers and throwing them into the sink. The nurse quickly cleaned up the floor enough to free Dad so he could change his clothes into Hospital scrubs so he could take his clothes home to be washed when he left.


It didn’t matter if was I in the tub or not I just kept heaving up more and more, and my temperature sky rocked. By 9 o’clock I wasn’t doing well at all, but I got up anyway grabbing the IV stand proceed walk my laps until Dad caught up with me. Asking me what the heck I was doing; stumbling around the hall in my boxers burning a high fever. I slid down the wall I said; “keeping my promise so you wouldn’t punish me for not doing them.” Dad sighed helping me up and we did them together. Grandma was angry and told me how mule head and stubborn I was; telling me to sit in the wheelchair so she could put me back to bed. But I shook my head no saying just two more, just two more.


Dad took my hand and we walked those last two laps and I vomited again, losing my breakfast when I got back, but least it made the garbage can; nurse cussing my Dad for being too hard on me as he bathed me again telling him it was 103. I stayed in bed for three more hours and got back up and walked 5 more laps. Dad holding me up most of the way telling me I needed to stop. But I just kept going losing my lunch making him sign off that I did it.


Three more hours I got up and walked 6 laps falling on my knees twice, but I got back up saying two more, just two more. But my body said no more as I fought to stay on my feet almost crawling before I passed out laying flat on my stomach. When I woke the lap chart was in the garbage and Dad was holding my hand with tears in his eyes. Telling me; “no more, I won’t let you walk one more lap; no more.” He took me in his arms held me feeling me burning up he picked me up placed me back into the tub.


I didn’t bother with dinner pushing it to the aside instead of having it ending up on the floor or down the toilet. The nurse came in with the same six large nurses; I knew what they wanted. I smiled as they each took a piece of me. Dad watched in amazement as three male nurses end up on the floor before they got my blood drawn, my screams filling the room and down the hall. They’d paid dearly for those vials. Dad couldn’t decide if he was proud of me or angry after watching me fight off giants. So he laughed and laughed until he cried watching them collect their bets with twenty dollar bills.


Mom came by to see how I was doing and brought Dad some fresh clothes and told him that my caseworker would be here tomorrow. Dad nodded said; “that’s fine, doesn’t look like Eric would be going home anytime soon.”


Mom felt my head asked “rough night?”


I smiled said with very sore throat; “nothing me Dad can’t handle.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on May 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep