Guests part 1

Guests part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 51

Guests

Part 1


Monday was a big day for many of us and that included me. My private teacher called early Monday morning to see if it was a good time to evaluate me. Monday or any day of the week is a busy day for Mom, and tonight was no exception since we had guests coming for dinner.


Mom was having seconded thoughts, but to back down now wasn’t an option. She needed to run work over to the Doctors office, and she needed to go grocery shopping, not to mention the house had to be immaculate. But the most important part who was going to tend me.


Mom and Dad were prideful when it came to asking for help of any kind and now wasn’t an exception. It was just me and her in the house. Dad had gone to work and wouldn’t be home until three; everyone else was in school.


Mom was looking out the window watching brother Nile's mowing the lawn, turned and looked at me then frowned said. “Mr. Pratt, would it be alright if I wasn’t home, so I could attend to other things.” Realizing this was going to be a problem regardless of which day it was. Considering I wasn’t able to go to school until later in the year. She needed a babysitter, someone that could deal with an episode anytime it happened and take care of any problems. Someone she and I could trust if my life depended on it.


Mr. Pratt said. “He wasn’t a babysitter and she wasn’t his responsibility.” Mom remained calm for my benefit knowing full well, any stress could bring on an attack. She wasn’t strong enough or capable on her own to bring me down if one happened. Leaving me in my room alone wasn’t an option either.


Mom said to let her call him back in thirty minutes hanging up the phone. Mom told me to sit on the grass in plain sight so she could see me then changed her mind; having me walk with her instead. Placing her arms around me as we walked down to bother Nile's house, seeing us approach he turned off the mower.


At first, I thought Mom intended me to mow his lawn, and I would have gladly for all the help he has given me, but Mom had other ideas. Mom told her of the predicament she was having, being she and I were the only ones home and she needed to run errands and couldn’t take me with her, and leaving me alone wasn’t option; also stating that my private teacher would be coming every day and didn’t want to leave me in the house alone with a complete stranger.


Yet she didn’t like leaving brother Nile's in her home either. Where he could snoop and find things that would put them in a sticky spot. So her idea was to leave me with him at his house. On the days she couldn’t be home to watch me and would be glad to pay him for his time.


He refused, stating other arrangements could be made in exchange for his services. Mom and he shook on the deal and reminded him no basements. He laughed as he rubbed my hair stating that was never going to happen on his watch.


Mom and I shook hands on the deal leaving me with him. Telling him she would drop by some extra clothing and bandages and medication that I would need during my stay while she was gone, knowing I was completely safe in his hands.


Some of the conditions were I would mow his lawn and help him weed his flower beds and garden, and help in the kitchen preparing our lunch for the both of us; nothing hard that I couldn’t handle during the week or on a Saturday afternoon. I had just finished mowing the back lawn when Mom came back before leaving the house to run her errands with everything I was going to need in one of Shane’s old backpacks.


With a notebook that listed the times of when each medication was needed and my stats were to be taken. Even clean towels so he could bathe me to clean the wounds. She made a note that 1: 30 like a five-year-old child. I needed to be put down for a nap; even though I wasn’t five years old. The 2 or 3-hour nap was to help combat the deprived sleep that caused the full-blown episodes prescribed by the doctor and the child psychologist.


Stating that I slept better during the day then I do at night, I didn’t need such a strong dose to keep me asleep as I do at night. Telling him under any circumstances not to leave me unattended during that time and make sure no knives or sharp objects were not in my reach.


Brother Nile's said that he would have me sleep in one of his children’s rooms. That is only used when they come to visit with their grandchildren. And he would sit himself by the door in the room if that what it took to keep me safe. She gave him the tranquilizer just in cases of an episode and having me memorizes a color that what would indicate that was him when I was consumed by the dream. He was already familiar with the breathing exercises having experienced with Shane, and used to do it with his own children when they had nightmares when they were younger. Noting he had seen enough of my mine that there was nothing for her to be concerned about.


Mom said she would send Shane by at 4 to pick me up and the teacher would be here at nine today, but would by every day after that from 8-12 and if he stayed longer to let her know. Mom and he struck the deal that he would watch me on Mondays, Weds, and Fridays. Telling him if there was a problem and he couldn’t do it. To call them the day before so she and her husband could make other arrangements. The deal was struck as the teacher pulled his car to the curb. Mom warned him he had until noon and the arrangements they had agreed upon and where I would be each day of the week.


Mr. Pratt Mr. Gregory M Pratt. M for Maxine named after his great, great grandmother. He almost reminded me of Mr. Wonka in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, with big red hair. Slim and tall with the same complication as a turnip style face or cabbage patch doll, and having a British accent. Right on down to his off-color brown suede suit and pointed brown shoes. The likeness was uncanny. I almost asked for a bit of chocolate. I didn’t like the chap at first, but he did grow on you.


Mr. Pratt was all business setting down a pad with the test that covered everything that standardized test would include. Except I was allowed to take my time, while he made himself right at home as one of the furniture. Noting to me and brother Nile's that this place was improvement based on the smell of last time and the noise.


Bother Nile's said to call him Scott and he wouldn’t call me brother Shepherd knowing how I hated that name for good reason. I told him he could call me Eric or my nickname Tiger. He indeed thought that nickname fit me quite well. Remembering my fierce roar when needles were involved or I am having an episode. Mr. Pratt didn’t feel comfortable calling him by his first name, he was my teacher not one of my palls that hung around the schoolyard. Opening a novel titled War and Peace something boring drab that would put anyone to sleep and big enough to be used as a lethal weapon or nice doorstop.


Time always goes slow when you are doing boring things like a standardized test. Whoever invented them needed to be shot in the head. I hated story problems the worst when it came to math or finding the subject matter when it came to English. History was my thing. I love world history and the different things people did that made history, but I also found myself loving the people and their stories that didn’t make history, but played part in it. Spelling grammar was my downfall right up there with math. When they want you to find what x is or y is. And plug them into a graph or to determine the outcome of a story problem.


But when it came to reading and history and the likes of social studies, I was good. Even Shakespeare intrigued me, except for that kissing stuff; bored me right to tears. Scott was good at keeping him and me on time when came to saying that’s enough for today; cleaning up my notebooks and scratch paper. Kicking Mr. Pratt out the door right at 11:45 stating he too was on a schedule even though he had until noon. Telling him it was time for my bath so he could clean my wounds and give me my lunch, with plenty of time he could put me down for my nap on time. Or he could deal with Mrs. Rothwell and the Doctor if he didn’t stay on schedule.


He in turned and said that he would see me bright and early 8 o’clock on the dot; Scott had helped bathe me a couple of times during my two-week stay in the hospital, so it didn’t bother me much, except for getting in the tub part. I sighed letting the memory wash over me while he helped me undress and removed the old bandages. Having already run a warm tub while Mr. Pratt was leaving and letting it cool down to the perfect temperature, then right before I got in he hit himself on the head remembering he was supposed to take my stats; wrapped a towel around me and set me on bathroom sink counter, while he borrowed Moms that she had left him to uses. Because the one he had for his late wife wouldn’t work.


Watching him throw it into the garbage; stating he was going to buy new anyway so the boys in our troop could practice when they are doing first aid for their merit badges and that he was a little bit rusty. Taking it a couple of times before he got it right, he was indeed pleased that I wasn’t running a temperature. At least he didn’t think I was having to use an old thermometer that had seen better days and I wasn’t running a fever and I didn’t feel hot as I had been. Just all around perfect 14-year-old boy would or should be.


He took his time washing my back letting me do most of it. Mom forgot the shampoo and the soap, which was unusual for her. Considering she thought about everything else including three pairs of boxers and three pairs of shorts, and lots of extra bandages that could open a hospital, six towels, and washcloths as if I was intended to take several baths.


It did make us laugh leaving them inside and using his soap and shampoo, that smelled better than what Mom was using, and left my skin feeling silky smooth. I wouldn’t need my shorts because I was going down for a nap as soon as we finished lunch. Which was homemade beef stew which I could smell and make my stomach growl? When I was doing school work with grilled cheese sandwiches on white bread instead of whole wheat, and apple pie with ice cream on top, covered in chocolate sauce.


He read the direction on the sleeping solution that the doctor prescribed for my nap, mixing it with apple juice. Watching me make a funny face because it tasted bitter, giving me a second glass to wash it down with. I helped with the dishes while he turned down the bed in one of his boy’s rooms named Jack. Tucked me in and closed the blinds and laying me on his chest. Asked me what his color was on my striped tiger. I said “silver;” repeating the phrase as I closed my eyes. “Tigers have seven silver stripes, Tigers have seven silver stripes.”


Repeating it every time I took deep breath matching his until I was in a restful doze, setting me down easy having to repeat the phrase asking me quietly as he tepee toed in his bare feet taking his spot near the door; setting the alarm on his watch. Opened a novel he was reading, and soon after not realizing he too had fallen asleep. Letting his glasses fall off his noses into the book, I heard it fall onto the floor. It only startled me for a moment. I Just turned over and fell back to sleep. I only woke when the doorbell rang a few times, then hearing a pounding on the door. Scott woke startled hearing the buzzing sound. Then looked at the clock saying it was 2:00. Cussing at himself for falling asleep on duty, told me to go back to sleep while he goes and answers the door.


I nodded and watched him leave only to come back with Dad, to make sure I hadn’t run away after finding the house empty when he came home. Dad pushed his way through the door; breathed a sigh of relief that I was safe and unharmed; Scott whispering and taking Dad by the arm telling me to go back to sleep.


Dad telling him he been combing the neighborhood looking for me for the past hour, and had the police looking for me and this was the last place he thought he would look, not finding the Bishop home. Thinking if I went anywhere he would know where to find me. Scott telling him that his wife had dropped me off so she could run errands, go grocery shopping, and said she would send somebody to get me at 4 o’clock. Dad suggested that I come home now instead of waiting since he was already here, but Scott turned him down stating that wouldn’t be necessary. That it would be best to leave me where I was unless he planned on carrying me home after the medication his wife told him to give me not more than an hour ago.


Dad checked to make sure I was fine. I nodded sleepily feeling him check my forehead and my cheeks. Left me closing the door behind him; warning him if anything happens to me he’ll be the first person on his list to kill. Scott gave Dad his word that he’d spend eternity in hell before a single hair on my head would be harmed and he die gladly if that ever happened. I heard the front door closes and Scott took his guard post at the door.


4:00 came and went; it was nearly five by the time the Rothwell’s remembered I wasn’t home. Mom was so busy in the kitchen and everyone getting ready for tonight that when Mom asked where’s Eric? Then was struck dumb realizing I wasn’t home, having to quickly put on her shoes and opened the door finding me walking down the front sidewalk with brother Nile's carrying my backpack. Mom froze in mid-step. Took a deep breath and yelled to Shane that I was right here where I should be; seeing Shane running around the other side of the house. Slapping her head saying she’s completely forgotten had assumed I was in my room and had already sent Shane after me.


Mom quickly runs out to me flings her arms around me saying how sorry she been so busy that she had forgotten about me. Telling brother Nile's thank you and dinner will be ready an hour to come in and make himself comfortable. Thinking she had already invited him.


A guy knows better than to turn down a free meal. So he just shrugged his shoulders closed the door and removed his shoes, setting them with the rest of the families like he had done the last time he was here. Dad showed him into the living room taking the backpack and set it in the corner. Told Shane to set an extra place for brother Nile's; asking him if he had started anything he needed to get back to noticing his bare feet. Brother Nile's said he was planning on warming the beef stew they had for lunch. Dad said no needed, having him take a seat in the living room and for me to go help Mom in the kitchen.


It looked like a Thanksgiving feast as I put on my apron and washed my hands. Shane smiled as he passed me to go down to change his clothes and to make sure Arthur was dressed and his hair combed and wearing socks that didn’t have holes in them. After Mom made him change them twice, said he goes through more clothes than most average boys. Mom noted of my shorts and sighed turning me around smelling my hair saying she liked that brand of shampoo and soap. Telling me I was good to go, wishing she could have dressed me like the others but wasn’t worth getting blood on my clothes just so I could look nice for our guests.

 

Mom had Dad pull out the big table from the garage that they use for Christmas and Thanksgiving when friends and family came over which wasn’t often considering they lived out of state. Having it placed in the family room, placing the coach and the chairs out in the garage for now to make room for everybody. Table glittered with polished silverware and linen napkins and glasses that had been carefully clean. Kerry had just set the flowers that she had picked from the yard and lit the candles.


The doorbell rang as our guests started to arrive. Mom yelling to make sure they remove their shoes and make themselves at home. Mom removed my apron so I could show my friends in and help them wash up for dinner. Smiled to see they had and wasn’t all that surprised to see them barefoot. Each wearing a clean shirt wishing I was wearing one too so I wouldn’t feel so out of place. But if wishes were fishes everyone would have one.


The house was loud and noisy as everyone took their places around the table. Arthur sat next to Dad and while brother Nile's sat where Shawn would have been sitting. Stating that Shawn came home with the flu so he was down in his room resting; Brother Nile's said “that he hoped he would be feeling better tomorrow. That he’d be missed from scouts so the boys could finish their swimming and lifesaving merit badge.”


Dad said. “Just a touch and that he would like to participate if they could use some more fathers to help.”


Brothers Nile's said. “The more the merrier.” Saying “he wished other fathers felt that way, it's hard enough to get the boys evolved and one the main reasons why our ward has very few Eagles over the years.” Stating I’d make baker's dozen when I achieved mine. Mom didn’t miss a beat as she placed down three pans of baked homemade lasagna, knowing all the boys love it, ranking it right next to pizza. With fresh garlic bread and a toss green salad; Mom gathering information regarding ages of each boy and noting it would be the same school that I was going to stating it’s good to see that I had chosen good friends already.


Brother Nile's said that boys were planning to go camping the following weekend being it was a four day weekend, if Dad would like to go he was more than welcome. Dad nodded that it could be arranged, but he would have to think of something for my feet. Brother Nile's said that the boys had been working on Indian lures like making moccasins and beaded vests that could be a possibility that he could help make me pair. Mom asked if they require socks if so it wouldn’t possible due to the wounds around my ankles. Ron stating Indians don’t wear socks and usually don’t wear shoes during the summer months. Mom said “I see, and then I have no problem with that. As long he was kept clean and kept from getting an infection.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on May 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep