Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

Every once in a while I just write in no particular format, don't edit hardly anything and post it. Just raw thoughts. These came as I was sitting on my porch thinking all alone.

"

If I could capture this moment... this time of my life, it would probably look something like a statue of a broken man... blunt in hand and a beer in the other staring up at passing clouds that turn to a clear night and stars wondering where do I go from here? How do I move forward with life? Right now I'm slowly deteriorating like decaying wax in a candle jar and my life is melting before my eyes. I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine. Even the small ant that slowly crawls up my leg as I write this is chasing a bigger dream than I.... the ant thinks about reaching the top as I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become? It’s time to get up and grasp a dream and start chasing with a full head of steam. I just hope I don't hit the ground too hard when I fall... but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know your thoughts please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love all the imagery, it's like I'm there with you, sinking except, well it's never too deep. I haven't reached the bottom, or I have and I'm okay with it? So what if we have dreams in life, and what is next for us after we've reached our goals, Life is pointless no matter how big or small our dreams are. Sinking in the void that is left by this life we had no word in is only natural, we don't know what we are doing here, it's an endless circle, dreaming and feeling like we could fly, then losing hope and sinking to the bottom of despair, either way, it's absurd.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make a great point Luna :) Sometimes you are damned at the top and damned at the bottom... I gu.. read more



Reviews

what is life without dreams

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Very true... thanks for the review :)
Reading your work is always a pleasure. Beautifully written, the way you express yourself as only you can but with every piece so all can relate and understand. you take me to a place deep down within that some try not to face and I think that's what makes you so genuine when you write.. great piece Aaron

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much... this one is one of those writes where instead of actually organizing and thin.. read more
silent poet

8 Years Ago

very welcome and I completely agree!! you nailed this... :)
AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you I really appreciate that :)
Interesting Aaron as you self explore once more. We all follow paths that are full of brambles and weeds and feel we need to try a different track, but to do so is hard.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you John... glad to see you back buddy!
A very interesting peek inside your head! I love that this is absolutely raw writing, it doesn't get anymore real than that. I think we all have this time that we wonder what the hell we are doing. And if anything we are doing is even making a difference. It's all about finding that one thing you want to do, and to never let go until you've done it. Remember, you could always pursue writing! :)
A great brain storm.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make some good points... also make me feel normal lol... I do believe at some point we question .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
alf
Hi Aaron. Wow! where the mind will take us!!! at least you are heading in the right direction. Letting your thoughts take you from ambiguity to a more positive frame of mind!!! that's a huge step up the ladder, my friend. hopefully, you are climbing back out of that hole and preparing to move forward!! I hope so, alf

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

I definitely am alf... I swear... my thoughts always come out worse than they truly feel haha... I w.. read more
alf

8 Years Ago

You succeed!!!!! You had me soooooo sucked in!!! Don't ever stop!!!!
Good poem 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😈😈😈😈😈😈

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Yvo... I saw your pic and was like who is this? haha I am so used to the cartoo.. read more
yvo miki

8 Years Ago

Lol it's fine I just thought why not let everyone see what I look like
Very relatable. I love the part about the ant because it's so true.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Erin I assume? It's funny the ant part was of no thought until an actual ant st.. read more
Its was really very imaginative and full of thoughts to read this Aaron. I wonder to see that you're really involved with your thoughts while writing such a great art.....but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity...inspiring n rising within. Great Man!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much... it's kind of a popular saying and I wanted to put my little spin on it. I ap.. read more
Writer at last! Sky ~

8 Years Ago

You have simply amazed me with your thoughts! Welcome friend!
I miss those late nights back home, sitting out on the front porch after everyone else had gone to bed. It was a good time to reflect...the street lights were on and the only sound you could hear were the crickets, and maybe a little thunder off in the distance.

Getting up and doing something...that's exactly what you have to do. I hate feeling like that decaying wax in a candle jar, as if I'm waiting for someone to rescue me...and they never come.

Play some music, take something apart just to put it back together. It will help to get you back to some familiarity.

Best wishes, Aaron!




Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Kelly... those nights where we can reflect and think alone quietly are the best... read more
Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

...my pleasure, neighbor!
I ADORE the rawness and reality of this. I really dig this piece it so honest and refreshing. we all feel like this from time to time. the important thing is what you do with those feeling.

Good Job

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Crystal :) These kind of writes tend to be my favorite... I dont really structu.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2616 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel