26

26

A Chapter by Declan Gleason

26


Spencer stood in a  glossy black suit, the color of the Adican, outside of the compound in the shipyard where the entire settlement gathered for Rilfor's funeral.  He didn't quite understand where he got the suit from, or who made it, but it fit incredibly well for something most likely made by a non-human.

When Spencer and the crew of the dreadnaught returned from the robotic sector of space, they were greeted happily and with many questions, however, the excitement died when they all saw Rilfor's body being carried out by Kat and Rojan.  After a moment of silence.  Spencer ordered everyone to begin preparing for Rilfor's funeral.  Black flags of mourning were draped around the compound along with a few Adican flags dedicated to Rilfor.  Everyone was now gathered to see Rilfor for the last time.

"Why are we in the shipyard again?"  Jensen whispered to Spencer.  He was also wearing a similar black suit and had his arm around Lily who was wearing a dress of the same color.

"See Rilfor's body in that small ship over there?"  Spencer whispered to Jensen.

"Yeah,"  Jensen replied quietly,  "But why?"

"Well if I remember correctly,"  Spencer whispered back.  "In Adican culture, the greatest warriors are launched into space and set adrift armed, so they may be prepared to rise for battle if the Adican god of war demands it."

"Dang,"  Jensen replied a bit too loudly causing some disapproving looks from others nearby.

Spencer nodded and shushed Jensen as Helena, the other Adican from the meeting about the robot ships, stood up to the podium and tapped the microphone with her metallic fingers.  She wore a long, dress, you could call it but Spencer thought such a formal outfit looked quite odd on the elongated and large Adican bodies.

"Hello," Helena said calmly although her voice hinted at sorrow.  "We, as you probably already know, are gathered here today to celebrate the life lived by Rilfor Senrar, of the Adican Species, but our empire."  The audience clapped quietly and Spencer thought to himself, "Senrar, that's Rilfor's last name, I never thought to ask."  On a side note he thought,  "Dang, we need a name for our empire."

Helena began again.  "I have a few things to say about Rilfor before he departs." she pulled out some notecards from a seemingly invisible pocket on her dress.  "I knew Rilfor from when he was a small boy.  We went to the same school and trained in the same battalion at the academy for eight years."  "Eight years!" Spencer thought to himself.  Helena continued to speak.  "Rilfor was always kind to me and enjoyed helping others.  He was loyal and faithful and I'm so glad I knew him.  He made me laugh and I'll be honest, I always thought he was kind of cute."  This got a small laugh from the crowd but all Spencer could think was "Ewwwww, I do not want to think about that right now, I'm gonna be sick."  Helena was beginning to wrap up her speech.  "Rilfor was the greatest person, friend, and soldier to have lived and I hope he shaped your life as much as he shaped mine."  She turned around and saluted Rilfor's ship.  "See you in space Rilfor."  She stepped down from the podium and the crowd clapped loudly.

The evening continued and more speeches were given by Rapirian, Corinian, other Adican, and even Grace, Jensen, Colby and Lily.  Eventually it was Spencer's turn to speak.  He took a deep breath and thought positive thoughts as he stepped up to the podium.

"I've never been one with speeches."  Spencer said,  "but for Rilfor, I'll make an exception."  He took a deep breath.  "Rilfor was a valiant warrior who defended himself and his friends with more honor and courage than anyone else I have ever seen.  He wasn't only a valiant warrior, but a great friend who helped keep all of us together.  I remember the first time I met Rilfor out in space.  We were on a small planet way far away from here, when I first saw him, I'll be honest with you, I was scared.  It was my first time encountering other life not from Earth, but he was friendly and gave off the aura of someone you could trust.  Even if he used to serve the Empress I'd say he's done more than anyone else to keep us alive and fighting towards our goal, so I'll gladly salute Rilfor as he makes his journey into space, thank you."

The audience applauded Spencer as he stepped down and walked back over to Jensen and Lily.

"Not too shabby,"  Jensen and Lily said simultaneously and laughed.

"I didn't think it was too bad myself."

They quieted as the Adican portion of the military started the ceremony for Rilfor's departure.  The military fired off shots equal to the approximate of enemy soldiers Rilfor had defeated in battle.  They ceased fire at approximately 2,500 rounds.  After the soldiers split allowing a walkway for an Adican officer who walked up to Rilfor's ship, saluted it, and typed in the launch codes.

Spencer and everyone saluted as they watched the ship slowly pushed itself off the ground and then accelerated faster and faster into space until it was out of sight.

After the service Spencer walked back to his quarters alone, depressed.  It had been a long few days and Spencer didn't know what he should do now.  Rilfor was dead by an extremist robot society, and it seemed to Spencer they were fighting a war that couldn't be won.  They were a small force compared to the expansive force the Adican possessed.



© 2016 Declan Gleason


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on January 22, 2016
Last Updated on January 22, 2016


Author

Declan Gleason
Declan Gleason

Sandy, UT



About
I always liked writing and have recently gotten into writing actual novels. I am currently in high school but I think I can write as effectively as anyone else. I hope to get feedback on some of my .. more..

Writing