5

5

A Chapter by Declan Gleason

5



Spencer and his friends were eating breakfast when a loud rumbling noise pierced the sky.  Jensen looked up from his food his face in confusion

“Do you hear that?” Jensen exclaimed.

“Hear what?” asked Lily.

“Just listen” Jensen replied.

The five of them stopped eating to try to listen to whatever Jensen thought he heard.  After about a minute Colby claimed to have heard the noise and after that each of them also heard the odd rumbling.  It didn’t take long for commotion to spread throughout the camp.  

“Earthquake” Spencer heard someone mutter.  “Aliens” he heard another say.

Arthur eventually had to bang a metal pot with a stick to calm everyone.  “What’s the matter?” Arthur exclaimed “We are still standing here unharmed and nothing is posing a major threat so I insist you all sit down and stop panicking.”

Arthur disappeared into a nearby tent leaving the crowd speechless.  However the rumbling began to get louder and louder.  As the rumbling continued people once again began to worry.

Eventually the rumbling grew to the point where it began to hurt Spencer’s ears.  He looked up at the sky once again and saw as it seemed a hole was ripped in the neon green sky. Out of the sky came the most crazy thing Spencer had ever seen in his life.

Out of the hole came a massive glossy black spaceship that could’ve been something straight out of star wars.  It was as big as a skyscraper flipped on its side with engines strapped to it.  The black ship began to descend towards them and Spencer began to make out a large arsenal of weapons attached to the sides of the ship as well as a command bridge with windows on the top of its massive hull.  As the ship came closer to the surface the rumbling of the engines grew louder and louder and Spencer noticed most of the people rushing to cover behind a large boulder a short distance away.

“Take Cover! Weapons loaded!” Spencer heard a girl say as he jogged towards a rock.  He looked up to see that the girl who was handing out guns and ammunition to everyone who passed her.

Spencer saw the girl jogging towards him and stopped just in time for her to shove a small side arm into his hands.  She gave him a quick overview of how to use the weapon.

“This is the safety” she told Spencer “turn it off when you want to fire it.  Hold this down to slide the magazine out and reload.  Understand!” The Girl was nearly shouting by the end of her little lesson because the ship got louder as it neared the surface of the planet.

Spencer jogged over behind the boulder where he joined Jensen who was also armed.  Spencer had only fired a gun a few times and definitely didn’t want to kill someone.  He would only use the gun in an emergency.

Everyone was gathered behind the boulder leaving the camp abandoned.  Most of the people hear feared the unknown spaceship descending upon them.  Many feared it was the same alien ship that shot down the Alpha One. Many people were ready to fire their guns no matter the cost.

Spencer sat in silence as the ship, which was quite close now, came towards the camp.  He could make out the words Adicus Force Three in golden letters on the side of the massive black ship.  As the ship neared it seemed as though the ship over shot the camp but at the front engines revved up slowing down the ship.  As the ship slowed down nozzles on the bottom of the ship fired up slowly lowering the ship down. As it lowered down three sets of legs, the same color as the ship, lowered down from the sides of the ship to help it land.  The rumbling sound at this time from the engines was almost unbearable.  The large ship finally touched down and the engines stopped as well as the rumbling.  The ship was easily larger than the entire camp.

After the ship landed The passengers of the Alpha One still wouldn’t move.  Spencer heard a creaking noise and peered over the boulder to see a ramp lower down from the bottom of the ship.  From the ramp came several figures.  Spencer could count seven from where he was.  The figures each had  three pairs of metallic legs, the same color as the ship they came from.  Each group of six legs were attached to a snake like body that looked like a capital L with the head held high.  Just below the figures heads sprouted two metallic arms which looked like miniature versions of their legs with two metal fingers and a metal sort of thumb.  The aliens were covered in scales aside from their arms and legs and easily towered over the humans each scaley figure reaching at least eight feet in height.

The seven figures held scanners and began to roam the camp and remains of the Alpha One before finally advancing towards the human's position behind the boulders.

As the snake people moved closer and closer the tension and fear grew higher and higher.  Once the figures were near the boulder a man, who Spencer did not know, stood up and fired two bullets at one of the figures.  The first missed and the second bullet was deflected off of the one of the creature's legs.  The scaley figure turned towards him, pulled out a small device out of a hidden pocket which looked much like a screwdriver to Spencer.  The figure  clicked a button on the side of the device and a bright red orb shot out of it and tore a burning hole right through the center of the rifle.

Before anyone else could attempt to harm the creatures another of the snake like people pulled out a glowing blue device from a similar hidden pouch on the side of its body.  The creature threw the device on the ground and a purple, although translucent barrier formed around the figures.  One of the figures stepped forward and began to speak, to most everyone’s surprise, in english.

“Hello” the creature said “I am Rilfor, the captain of the third strike force, advanced military operations, of the Adican empire.  We detected-”

Rilfor was cut out by Colby shouting “How can you speak English?”

Rilfor turned his scaly head towards Colby and replied “Little to your knowledge the language known as ‘English’ is the standard language of communication throughout the known universe.  Now, no more interruptions please.  As I was saying while we were passing through we picked up on life signs coming from this planet and decided to investigate.  Once we landed we identified you as human.  Please do not question whether or not we have been watching you although our systems did not know that your species had reached the stars although we are grateful.  We noticed your ship had been damaged by a Corinian spacecraft, our common enemy I’m sure.  Because of this I invite you aboard our ship and wish to aid you.  Now please follow me.”

Rilfor turned around and began to walk towards the spaceship he came from.  None of the humans were willing to follow him.  Even Spencer felt uneasy about following the strangers onto their spacecraft although they really didn’t have a choice.

“How do we know we can trust you?” Colby shouted to Rilfor.

“You can’t” said Rilfor  “But you don’t really have any other option now do you?”

Spencer could see Rilfor’s logic.  They were trapped on this planet just waiting for supplies to run out.  Spencer decided he could trust Rilfor as he didn’t seem to be trying to harm them.

Spencer moved out from behind the boulder, walked towards Rilfor and stopped, showing that he was willing to go with them.  Spencer was soon joined by Grace followed by Lily, Colby and Jensen.  Before long most of the camp had gathered near the scaley figures.  The only people left near the boulder were two men who refused to trust the aliens.

Rilfor began to walk towards the spaceship and everyone, except for the two boys who stayed behind, followed him towards the massive steel structure.

Spencer and his friends walked in silence as no one fully trusted the snake like people.  As they neared the ship Rilfor guided them up the ramp. They had about neared the top when Arthur called out “Wait! Let me try to talk to the two boys who must be afraid of this ship.”

“That’s fine” Rilfor told him “We’ll wait here for you.”

Spencer watched as Arthur jogged down the ramp, across the camp, and to the boulder.  Spencer could see Arthur arguing with the two boys and after about ten or fifteen minutes Arthur returned to the spaceship without the boys “They wouldn’t come” Arthur said with a sigh “They’d rather die here than come with us.”

“I’m sorry” said Rilfor “But we need to go.”

As Rilfor clicked a button on one of the walls to close the ramp that lead to the ground of the planet Spencer noticed that there were only 32 of them now when they had started with about 45.  Once it sealed shut several purple lights turned on above them.

Spencer followed Rilfor and saw very strange things.  They stood in a room that had several hallways leading out from it.  In the room and each hallway the walls were painted with a glossy black substance that looked like scales on a snake.  On the center of the walls in each hallway were colored strips glowing different colors.

“Each color represents a room” said Rilfor.  “For instance Green leads to the bridge and red to the armory.  Follow the white bands to some sleeping quarters where you can stay and rest up for now.”

“Will you not come with us?” Asked Arthur.

“No” Rilfor replied “I have a job on this ship and it needs to be completed.  Please excuse me.” Rilfor walked away from the humans down the green hall.

“Alright” Spencer said to Jensen “I guess we go down this hall” Spencer pointed down the white hall and began to walk towards it with his friends close behind him.

“Man” said Jensen “How cool is this?  We’re in a legit alien spaceship!”  Spencer smiled at him as they walked down the hall.

Eventually the hall led out to a large room filled with several bunks and two bathrooms at the back. (At least Spencer thought they were bathrooms.)  Much like what they had seen of the ship the beds were a glossy black with glossy black sheets and glossy black pillows.  Even the bathroom was the same dark black color.

“Hate to kill the mood” Colby said from behind Spencer “But it’s pretty dark and grim in here.  I mean I can’t see any color in this ship other than black.  Aside from the glowing bands on the walls of the hallways.”

“I have to agree with him” Grace said her face looked a little worried from what Spencer can tell “They seem to be a little obsessed with black”

“Just calm down guys” Spencer said “I’ll ask Rilfor next time we see him.  I don’t think that it is something to worry about though.  Just try to get some rest for now.”

The group began to disperse everyone picked a bunk and began to try to get some sleep.  What had happened today was a lot to take in and Spencer was quite tired from it as he was sure everyone else was.  Spencer climbed a ladder into a bunk where he just pulled the black sheets over himself and tried to get some sleep.



© 2016 Declan Gleason


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on January 22, 2016
Last Updated on January 22, 2016


Author

Declan Gleason
Declan Gleason

Sandy, UT



About
I always liked writing and have recently gotten into writing actual novels. I am currently in high school but I think I can write as effectively as anyone else. I hope to get feedback on some of my .. more..

Writing