2

2

A Chapter by Declan Gleason

2


   When Spencer woke up he heard a humming sound.  Just the neighbors mowing the lawn he thought.  Spencer had had the craziest dream last night he dreamt his house burnt down and his friend Jensen came to save him and then together they went to the space station and left the planet!  He couldn’t wait to tell Jensen.

However when Spencer opened his eyes he was not in his own bed.  He saw a window near him and was amazed by what he saw.  Stars were flying by the window at incredible speeds.  He looked in awe for a few seconds before he heard footsteps behind him.  He turned around to see Jensen standing at the door of the all white room.

“Hey” Said Jensen, “You blacked out on the way up.”

“Yeah, so”  Spencer said a little harsher than he intended.

“Sorry” Said Jensen “I was just wondering if you were feeling well enough to come to breakfast.  There are some clothes at the end of your bed if you are feeling up to it.”

“I’ll be right out”  Said Spencer, “Just wait for me outside.”

Spencer got up and looked around the room.  It was plain and all white like a hospital.  There was a bed, a closet, and a desk but that was it.  Eventually he dressed in the clothes at the end of the bed and opened the door to meet Jensen.

“Morning” Said Jensen.

“Morning” Spencer Replied.

“Let's go” Said Jensen. “They’re serving waffles at the mess hall and I don’t want to miss out.”

Jensen grabbed Spencer’s arm and practically dragged him down to the mess hall.  When Spencer got in he realized it wasn’t much of a mess hall. A door on the right led to a small kitchen where a few people were cooking.  The rest of the space was taken up by a few long tables where basically everyone on the ship was sitting.

Spencer and Jensen walked towards the kitchen where a girl who looked about 16 or so gave them each a plate of waffles with an orange and a carton of milk.

“There are no seconds” The lady who served them said, "We are on rations so don't expect waffles again."

    “Aw” Said Jensen  “Waffles are my favorite though.”

“Come on”  Said Spencer as he grabbed Jensen’s arm and began to lead him towards a table in the back when he heard someone shout to him and Jensen.

“Hey yo!”  Spencer turned around to see an African American tennager about his age shout to him.  “You and your friend wanna come eat over here?”

“Sure”  Jensen said before Spencer could disagree.

Spencer and Jensen walked over to the table and sat down across from the man.

“I’m Colby” The man said “And you are”

“Spencer” said Spencer “and this is my friend Jensen.”

Spencer noted that Colby was African-American, had brown eyes, short black hair, and was pretty tall.  He motioned to two girls at the other end of the table to come over.

“These are my two friends who came here with me”  Said Colby.  “This is Grace” he motioned to the girl on his left with long, wavy blond hair and blue eyes.  “and this is Lily.”  He motioned to the girl next to Grace with brown eyes and brown hair that went down to her shoulders.  

“Hey” said Grace to Jensen and Spencer.  Then she turned to Colby and asked “Do we know these guys?”

“No” said Colby “But if we're gonna be stuck with them we better get to know ‘em.”

Spencer had liked Colby from the start as he let him and Jensen sit with them.  He wondered if they were now friends.

“Hey” said Colby “You guys wanna come with the three of us and take a look around the ship?  Spencer might wanna look as he was unconscious this morning.”  He looked at Spencer “No offense though.”

“None taken” Said Spencer although a spark of anger shot up inside of him.

“Mmm” Said Jensen as he took a bit of his waffles “These things are the best”  Spencer and Colby laughed while the girls just sort of rolled their eyes at them.  They sat and talked for about half an hour and then the mess hall closed.

“Let’s go take a look around” said Colby “This will be one of our only chances to see before tomorrow.”

“What’s tomorrow?” asked Spencer.

“We get our jobs” Grace told him “Everyone here has to serve a purpose to the mission.  And that mission is to make it to a new home to live.”

Spencer nodded and followed Jensen and Colby to the back of the ship.  Colby took him to see the sleeping quarters which was in the back of the ship and divided in half by a wall, one half for boys, one for girls.  They peeked into the cockpit at the front where they met the two captains who flew the ship.  They also saw a bunch of other stuff like the engine room, and the armory until eventually it was time for bed.

Jensen, Colby and Spencer said goodbye to Grace and Lily as they went into the men’s sleeping quarters.

The room was a bunch of bunk beds as you might imagine a cabin at a YMCA camp.  Spencer, Jensen and Colby took some beds at the back, Spencer on the bottom of one bunk, Jensen on top, and Colby was across from Jensen in another bunk.  

As Spencer got ready for bed he thought to himself “This might not be so bad.  I might even make some friends.” Spencer walked back to his bunk and fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.



© 2016 Declan Gleason


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on January 22, 2016
Last Updated on January 22, 2016


Author

Declan Gleason
Declan Gleason

Sandy, UT



About
I always liked writing and have recently gotten into writing actual novels. I am currently in high school but I think I can write as effectively as anyone else. I hope to get feedback on some of my .. more..

Writing