Prologue: The Gathering Storm

Prologue: The Gathering Storm

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

The beginning of everything as the grab for the Imperial throne begins.

"

Prologue: The Gathering Storm

Upon the death of the great Emperor Charles "The Light" Magnaki his followers and the nations of the world begin to make their plays to replace the glory he wrought...

(Location: Near the trade city of Narj'al Kal, Markosia)

 

 

    "You know it is only a matter of time before he makes his play, cousin. Even a fool like Ganus has the brain to know when the witless need to be led!"

    Telzin VIII Grarivitch, King of the Scalokyns, drummed his fingers upon the long table. He glanced up to meet the gaze of his cousin, before his eyes dropped to the table once again. He loathed the direction the conversation had turned in and strongly suspected that this was truly why the meeting was initiated by his kinsman.

    "You can't ignore it forever," Belzin V Antiochus said with a scowl. Why his cousin was being so stubborn was beyond him "Whether you like it or not everything is up for grabs. We have as much a right...bah! We have more right than Ganus will ever have."

    Telzin sighed. He watched through hooded eyes as Belzin paced up and down the room, scowling and muttering to himself. That was the problem with the Antiochus side of the family: hot heads galore. They never stopped to think of alternatives once they latched onto a plan. That had been a key reason Charles had been able to route them easily and force them to terms.

    "He will need time to marshal the support he needs," Telzin argued. "Don't be so hasty to plot civil war. The emperor may be dead, but do not think I will let the dream die with him."

    Belzin made his way to one of the great windows in the room and scowled as he looked upon the clear blue sky. Every since they had made it here, Telzin had gone on this senseless talk of the dream. How could he be so blind to the realities? Dreams were just that. Damn the dreams. He wanted what was his. What was wrongly rested from his family.

    "This world will not wait on us, cousin," Belzin said softly. He was trying to control his anger and exasperation at his cousin. He turned to eye Telzin. "Who better to take up the cause our great emperor has died for than the two of us? It is our duty. Surely you don't think the others are better suited!"

    "No," Telzin said. He sighed yet again. "I fear what is to come. Why must we vie for the empire? Can we not all come together and rule as a council?"

    Belzin laughed bitterly. "You know that is not possible. He was the link that held us all. You know I am right. I hear it in your voice. Do not think to shirk your duty, cousin. Don't think for a second that we are the only ones plotting."

    Telzin frowned. Belzin was right. Whether he liked it or not, everything was in play now. He feared what the coming months would bring to the empire. Looking up, he saw the triumphant smile on Belzin's face as his cousin recognized he had come to agreement. He wondered what other storms would be gathering and how the rain would fall.

    "Just how do you plan on doing whatever you have in mind?" he asked.

    Belzin looked out of the window at the sky. "We shall have to be careful. Very careful indeed dear cousin. The cream will rise to the top, but first the scum must be removed. Do not think I don't recognize the dangers inherent in this. The wheels have been turning."

    Telzin rubbed his eyes. He still found it hard to countenance how the empire could crumble so quickly after the emperor's death. Surely it could be saved. There had to be a way short of out and out civil war.

    "Do you think it's possible the imperial n--"

    "Do not even go there," Belzin said with a scowl. "The course is set. I'll not let a child rule an empire." His scowl darkened. "I'd not put it past one of those fools to marry her."

    "She is the last of his blood," Telzin said.

    "She is nothing," Belzin said crossing his arms. "She was gifted to the Ilarian's. Do you think the priestesses will give her up?"

    "We could convince them," Telzin argued. "It would prevent this war!"

    Belzin sighed. He looked at his cousin and shook his head. How was it possible they could be related? Why was he being so stubborn? Telzin's obsession with the emperor's cause bordered on the ludicrous.

    "He's been dead barely a month," Telzin said. He stared intently at his cousin. "We have the chance to avert a disaster. Thousands will die. Your people, my people, people everywhere. If we could just come together like we always have and give peace a chance!"

    "Impossible," Belzin stated flatly. "Don't get me wrong, I find this...whatever you are attempting admirable but impractical. The winds of change are blowing cousin and you will be smashed if you continue to deny what is before your eyes. Did you not see at the grand funeral the circlet upon the head of Ganus? Did you see how the others behaved? The die is cast. Do not feel sad. In a different time your way would work. I suggest you think of your people and put aside your mourning."

    Telzin glared at his cousin. "I am thinking of my people. I'm thinking of the mothers and fathers, wives and children who will without a doubt lose there loved ones in this madness. I am not blind. I saw how Ganus behaved. The sheer arrogance of the man took my breath away." His hands gripped the arms of the chair tightly as he remembered the antics of Ganus.

    Belzin nodded his head. "I would rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best than to just go on a hope and a prayer." He waited for a nod from Telzin. "Now you know the vultures will be circling. The empire had its admirers and--" he laughed softly "--critics. We should move as quickly as practical less they start nipping at the bits. I would not put it past the Vihkiery to already be preparing for raids. They where always a daring group of pagan b******s."

    Telzin sat up and cleared his throat. "If...if we are to do this, it will take more than the two of us. I agree we would have to move quickly to end this in a timely manner. I shall assume that you have a list of potential allies on the ready?" He made it a question looking at his cousin. He felt as if a part of him was dying, but he dared not take the chance on not at least hearing his cousin out.

    "As a matter of fact you would be correct on that assumption. I have had my people discretely moving about the empire." He smiled thinly. "You mustn't forget who may father was. Indeed the puzzle is becoming clearer. Oh to be sure I have not been the only one checking for the milk and honey, but I do believe you will be most assured of who will support our claim."

    Telzin could tell by the looks Belzin sent him that the list would not be revealed. He wondered briefly if his cousin thought they where being listened too. In his mind he went over the possible people who could be on such a list. This is crazy, he thought. A year ago he had thought of a dynasty, now he plotted the downfall of the empire.

    "Don't look so sour," Belzin chastised. "It's not the end of the world. If anything we shall strengthen the empire weeding away the cancer infesting it."

    "I admirer your confidence," Telzin said dryly. "I find myself reluctantly in agreement with you on this course of action. The heart tells me this is wrong, but I must remind myself I am king of my people now. It is the mind that must lead. Ganus must be stopped."

    Belzin had to force himself from throwing his hands up. Ganus was just the biggest fish in the pool that needed to be drained. If Telzin wanted to use the man as his excuse for joining the cause then so be it. Personally he would have liked his cousin to tone down on the drama. They weren't in the senate for the God's sake.

    "You are right," he murmured. "Ganus must be stopped and his followers made to be punished. We should have never let him prance around like the son the emperor never had."

    Telzin nodded his head. "We must wean the legions off of him. I sometimes use to think they worshiped him and not the God's."

    "Good thinking," Belzin said. Could it be that Telzin was jealous of the closeness Ganus had to the emperor? He was beginning to think that was the truth. Ganus was dangerous, but his was a more straightforward danger. It was the others that worried him the most. Not for the first time did he find himself wondering what Gamin was plotting. As flamboyant and showing as Gamin was, the fact that he had been practically invisible since the funeral was worrisome.

    "Which of them do you think would side with Ganus?" Telzin asked.

    "That is a question I have pondered," Belzin admitted. "Perhaps Cadiun. And that is simply because he is a man of the legions. I doubt the others. It's the small fry to check on around Ganus. He has for all intents and purposes the legions and he holds Korpathia. So long as he has the imperial seat and the people behind him what need he of allies?"

    Telzin nodded his head. "We must begin to plan then. We must do this carefully with mistakes held to a minimum. I would not like this to be another Asamakar."

    "The we are in like mind with that," Belzin said. He doubted Asamakar would be anything like what would happen. This would be far worse than the slaughter of a few thousand tree-huggers. "I would suggest we pool our resources and move below the surface. Everyone is plotting, but we need not be the first to give our hand away."

    "My thoughts exactly," Telzin agreed. "I would also suggest we hold council with our High Ministers. I would like to hear their thoughts on this."

    Belzin smiled. He had anticipated this move, having already been assured that Telzin's people saw things his way. "Indeed cousin, your words speak of the wisdom you are gaining. I too would like to have many voices join the debate. I think it essential to our very cause that we represent the voice of the people. These are troubled times after all."

    Telzin eyed his cousin. Belzin was practically oozing oils with that speech. Perhaps it would be a good idea to keep a close eye on his cousin. "When shall we next meet?"

    "Two months time," Belzin said. "That shall give you plenty of time to make the rounds and shore up your kingdom. The chance to remove those of questionable loyalties, and the chance to see with your own eyes how the others shall scramble for the imperial throne."

    Telzin clasped his hands together. He wondered just what he was getting himself into. What did the weeks and months ahead hold for the empire and it's people. He had to be doing the right thing. There was no other choice. The road ahead was clear. Ganus had to be stopped at all cost, regardless of the situation.

    Belzin saw the many thoughts passing through his cousins' mind and turned to look out the window again with a secret smile upon his face. He was pleased with being able to sway Telzin to his way of think. He had thought it would take more, but obviously mentioning Ganus had been the trick to get things going.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
Constructive criticism is helpful, but I'm willing to go Hollywood and take any kind of review. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on March 5, 2008
Last Updated on April 1, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing