Chapter 5: A Swirl Of Colors

Chapter 5: A Swirl Of Colors

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

Dianihka's story.

"

Chapter 5: A Swirl Of Colors

 

(Location: Van-Saroth, Ilanika)

 

 

    "Hey! Wait up for me!"

    Dianihka turned around at the shrill call. "Maybe you should finish your lessons on time!" she yelled back, sticking her tongue out. Really, Tavien could be such a ninny at ," Tavien gasped out. He fell into step with her.

    Dianihka eyed Tavien causing him to squirm uncomfortably. "I did tell you that Jarizin would catch on to your paying Eliya to do your lessons. Have I ever been wrong about him?"

    Tavien sighed. "Yeh. Yeh. Yeh. You don't have to beat it into my head. I just happen to think that the Sister's don't give you novices enough lessons."

    Dianihka reached over and thumped Tavien on the top of his head. "You should not think so hard." She smiled innocently at the outraged look on his face. "If you're ever going to be a master scholar with the pea sized brain you have, I would save all thinking for later."

    Tavien chortled. "I think those soft feather beds have made your brain mush." He dodged another thump. "Better work on that hand to eye stuff. The Sisters don't take clumsy novices."

    Dianihka sniffed. As if Tavien knew anything. How he managed to avoid restrictions was beyond her.

    "Which flowers this time?" Tavien asked.

    "Let's get the bretori roses and the galik gold's," Dianihka said. "Try not to crush any of them this time." She wagged a finger at Tavien when he was about to open his mouth. "Don't even think to blame that one of Kara."

    "I wasn't," Tavien said, putting up his hands in protest. "I don't know why you think I always blame other people for things. Though I would just like to point out that it was my favorite shirt she stumped on."

    Dianihka gave Tavien an exasperated look. "If you would learn to think before you speak half the trouble you get into would be avoided." She moved off the path that they where traveling making her way into a field full of wild flowers.

    Tavien followed behind her. "You know," he said, taking a look around the field, "I'm suppose to speak the truth. I am going to be a scholar after all. By the way, I see you changed into your old skirt and habit. Didn't like what the Mistress of Disciples did to you when she saw the grass stains last time, eh."

    "Oh, shut up," Dianihka said. "I didn't like wearing them out here anyways. They are more suited for the halls than the fields."

    Tavien rolled his eyes. "Sometimes I think you get a kick out of lecturing me, Dia." He reached down for one of the flowers.

    Dianihka regarded Tavien with a lofty expression. "Never you mind that. You just make sure to take care of those flowers. If they are perfect we can put them in the Hall of Peace."

    Tavien's eyes widened. "I'm not picking anything for those Sisters. Always giving me those looks. Always telling me what I can and can't do." He grimaced and glared at Dianihka.

    "If you did as much studying as you do whining, there is no telling what you can do," Dianihka said. "Now stop dawdling and get to picking these flowers. If not for your sake then for mines." She gazed at Tavien her dusky eyes twinkling.

    "I hate when you do that," Tavien complained. "You're lucky my parents ruined me. I'll help this time, but only if you don't tell the Sisters I helped. They might think I'm weakening. Can't let my guard down you know or they will have me saying the prayers."

    Dianihka scowled at Tavien. "I don't know why you have so little care for any religion. It is wrong to mock the God's. One day you're going to need them."

    Tavien snorted. "That will be the day. You sound like my gran-mah when she comes to visit me. I never say never, but neither will I eat, sleep and breathe it. Now don't give me that evil look of yours. I'm just kidding!"

    Dianihka made the holy circle of the Goddess Ilusia and said a quick prayer for Tavien. She thought it foolish of him to tempt the God's. His theories on the God's where even worse. She would get Sister Beatrice to talk to Master Jarizin. Maybe they could talk Tavien around.

    "I can tell you're plotting something bad for me," Tavien accused, while he stuffed another flower into his apron. "I don't know why you keep insisting I worship the God's as much as you do." Seeing the way she looked at him, he took a step back. "Well you may worship on Ilusia, but you certainly show a lot of respect for the other."

    Dianihka muttered under her breath. "Ok we have enough." She had been placing her flowers carefully in her lined side pockets. She watched as Tavien haphazardly shoved the last of his flowers in his apron pouch. He was definitely a work in progress. It was times like this that made her thankful she was a patient person.

    "I don't see why we have to give them the flowers," Tavien said, breaking in on her thoughts. "If you ask me they should get their own flowers like decent people."

    "Hush," Dianihka said. She smiled and batted her eyes at the look he gave her. That was one word that always seemed to get under his skin. He always claimed his nurses told him that day after day when he was smaller. Apparently it had been enough to forever drive him silly.

    "Well I thank you kindly for helping me," she said. "Will you walk back with me? Maybe the Sister's will stop pestering you if they see you being kind and considerate."

    Tavien gave her a skeptical look. "That will be the day," he grumbled.

    Dianihka laughed. "Don't be such a grouch. Deep down you know you like the attention."

    "That is so not true," he protested.

    "Well you certainly go there a lot," Dianihka countered. She could see Tavien blushing at that one.

    Tavien stuck his chest out. "It's the quickest way to the gallery halls. That's the only reason why. Hey," he said, eyeing Dianihka. "Just how do you know I go through there so much?"

    Dianihka felt her face growing hot. She turned around and made her way across the field towards the path. It was none of his business how she knew. It was coincidence anyways.

    "Hey, wait up," Tavien said. He hurried to catch up and fell into step beside her. "You don't have to always be in a hurry, you know? It's not like you're a princess with a bevy of suitors beating down the castle doors. Watch your step!"

    Dianihka caught herself. She had misstepped when he mentioned "princess". She gave Tavien a sideways look with an arched brow. He looked at her curiously, which made her roll her eyes.

    "What?" he asked.

    "You don't know everything," she said.

    Tavien grinned. "Jarizin tells me that so much it should be my name." He dodged a swipe. "Now. Now. Watched those hands young lady. You don't exactly hit like a girl." He took off at a run at the look she gave him, with her right behind him.

    Dianihka came to a stop after a good chase. She stared at Tavien and he stared at her, then they both laughed. She fell into step beside him feeling free and happy. To her way of thinking these where the best of times. She smiled at Tavien and linked her arm with his and they began singing together as the wind picked up and swirled around them.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
All reviews are helpful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on March 12, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing