Chapter 7: A Pawn In Play

Chapter 7: A Pawn In Play

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

Trahlem's tale.

"

Chapter 7: A Pawn In Play

 

(Location: Atalasia, Dynastic City of Autasia)

 

    Trahlem Daginat San'Cabal rearranged his dark robes for the third time and muttered a Lahein prayer under his breath. He was awaiting an audience with the Imperial Dynastic Thrones youngest member and he had cause for some concern. Reports from afar had brought word that Charles The Light was dead and of the turmoil that now wracked his empire. Wild rumors that went in a thousand different directions. Enough directions to once again stir up the zealots and their talks of the riches of the west.

    "Never mind that our fleets have tasted defeat each time we have tried," he muttered under his breath. He looked around the sitting room he had been taken too and noted the barrenness of it all. Kabria was as much a soldier in mind as her brothers, cousins and uncles. He still had no idea why she had summoned him as he was little more than the son of a minor noble turned court scholar.

    The doors to the rooms leading to the inner rooms opened and three ladies-in-waiting came to greet him. They wore the the silk white pants skirts of the Cabalan Sisterhood and they gave him measuring looks. He wondered if the rumors were true. Where they really used as Imperial Assassins? He didn't think it would be worth the trouble to ask the question.

    "This way please." The middle one said in a melodious voice that would have been pleasing if Trahlem hadn't been so nervous.

    He followed behind her as the other two followed him while closing the double doors. He found himself going down a long hall with lush dark green carpeting. He tried to strike up a conversation to fish for information but went silent when they did not respond to him. Soon they came out into a large room with a long table in the middle and chairs around it. High above was a domed ceiling made of glass letting in the morning sunlight. His eyes were drawn back to the table as he saw several other women occupying at least a dozen of the chairs.

    His eyes were immediately drawn to her. She was a rare beauty amongst the beauty of a thousand different shades. Kabria Von Tesla's beauty was renown throughout the empire and he would not have been amazed if it was known beyond. There was a delicate quality that she seemed to give off, which hid a dangerous viper within. He caught himself staring and hastily turned his eyes downward. He approached the table and stopped ten feet from it to drop to one knee and bow his head in obedience.

    "How kind of you," Kabria said softly. "Do rise. I am never one for ceremony."

    Trahlem made it to his feet and kept his face carefully neutral. "I am your humble subject, your Imperial Highness. I rejoiced when I---" He stopped as the room erupted into laughter.

    "He's been taught well," another of the women said with an amused look. She tossed her dark hair to the side.

    Trahlem felt his face flame. He opened his mouth but nothing came out, so he closed it hastily and swallowed. He looked from face to face seeing the amused looks they gave him before his eyes settled upon Kabria's once again. Her dark purple blue eyes watched and noted his every move. He had the sinking feeling she was even reading his thoughts.

    "What can I do for you?" he said finally.

    "Good boy," Kabria said. "You're starting to learn. She turned and murmured to the girl on her left and the girl stood up and made a line for the door to the far left. "I understand you are now in the employ of Admiral Andreakis. Am I correct?"

    Trahlem felt the blood drain from his face. He had only received the news not more than the hour before. How had it spread so fast that even Imperial ears had heard? For that matter what concern did a minor noble getting a minor post matter to one such as Kabria? His mind raced over the possibilities.

    Kabria arched one delicate eye brow. "I can see you are wondering why I would take notice of one such as you. It's simple. You seem to be getting groomed for greater things. Your rise, even you must admit, has been nothing short of remarkable. Andreakis does things only to benefit himself. So I must ask myself what does he see in you that would benefit him?"

    "I--I don't know," Trahlem said carefully. He felt like he was treading on egg shells. He did not like the way they were eyeing him. "I took an interest in sailing and asked questions. I just assumed someone in the command did it out of kindness to my father."

    Kabria smiled. It was a smile one would give to a simpleton. "Ah dear Trahlem. I keep forgetting you have only been here these last three months. You have much to learn here. You are dismissed, but I will give you this advice and take care to heed it. Nothing is done with kindness here."

    Trahlem blinked, taken aback at the sudden dismissal. He watched in confusion as Kabria seemed to dismiss him from mind and turn to talk softly to her companions. As he was escorted away, he could not help but to wonder if he had gotten in over his head. It didn't comfort him that he had not idea what he had gotten in on.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
All reviews are helpful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on March 12, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing