Chapter 8: The Drawing

Chapter 8: The Drawing

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

The Wator Lothyars plot to break away from the empire.

"

Chapter 8: The Drawing

 

(Location: Daramar, Capitol of the Wator Lothyars)

 

 

    Amon Brelim gazed out of the large bay windows into the Bay of Hawks and sipped from a glass of chilled spiced wine. The harbor was at a fever pitch with the war ships being refitted and loaded down with the needed equipments for the arts of war. People flowed to and fro in the hustle and bustle. With the death of the emperor everything was now in play. Amon savored the flavor of the wine and smiled slightly.

    "I see by that smile that pleasant thoughts do be wafting through your mind, dear brother."

    Amon shrugged and turned to take in his sister. Sentavia had a habit of interrupting his thoughts. She was one of the few people he tolerated it from. He had always doted upon her and it had only strengthened with the murders of their parents.

    "I always have pleasant thoughts, Sentavia. You of all people should know that."

    Sentavia gave a throaty laugh and made her way over to the window. "My, what an impressive fleet you have gathered. Do you intend to reclaim the vast oceans as we did before father bent knee to Charles?"

    "Dear sister, I am simply preparing for whatever may come. War is in the air. Civil war at that. Better to have our coasts well protected than to be caught by surprise. No doubt the Vihkiery are well aware by now of the strife that will soon rip this empire apart."

    "Since when did large war galleys get fitted in such manners for simple coastal duty?"

    Amon smiled at his sister. She was always probing and seeking more and more. "Well perhaps I do intend to carve out our own claim. Why not take back what was ours? Father bent the knee to the man and not his Crowned Throne. I will certainly not make the same mistake he did. Ours is a line as superior as any in this world. People should bow to us, not the other way."

    "When will you carry this before the High Council?" Sentavia asked. She studied her brother and then gazed out the window again. "Do you intend to correct another of fathers...mistakes and rid yourself of them as was done of old?"

    Amon stepped away from the window and walked over to a large painting hanging over the fire place. He gazed upon the image of his father and mother and sloshed around the wine. Why not correct the mistakes of the recent past? Why not correct several missteps as he had already done before? Only the fit were strong enough to rule.

    "I intend to do many things sister. For one thing I intend to have more than these islands as our kingdom. Why not reclaim what was lost so long ago and once again stake claim to the old mainland titles?" He looked at his sister, giving her a calculating once over. "A great many things are going to change."

    Sentavia shared the look with her brother and looked down to play with the golden bracelets she was so renown for. "Do you intend to draw Ubrusin in on this or are you prepared to go against his fleets? He was ever the prickly one and thought he alone held sway over the oceans. If he isn't brought to our side that man will be trouble."

    "I have been thinking Sentavia," Amon said. "Drawing that man to any side will be a delicate matter. He is fickle when it comes to what he thinks is honor. I think the salt water has driven the man half mad. So long as he remains along the Danavia coast weeding out the pirates there I am content to let the others bumble and stumble to curry his favor. Once he sees what I have planned and done he will either join my cause or think long and hard about siding with anyone else."

    Sentavia played with her hair and looked thoughtfully at her brother. She wondered what else was in that devious mind of his. He had hardly shown the least bit of ambition until Charles had taken ill. Now it seemed she had misjudged him. He had been thinking and plotting and waiting. She berated herself for underestimating his will and ambition. She was not sure about his dream of setting foot upon the continent again. She was a keen studier of history and it had shown time and again that making a push that way lay defeat for their island nation.

    "I know that look," Amon said scowling as he came up to his sister. "I warn you, do not doubt me. I have thought long and hard on this, sister of mines. I will not fail as others have done." He tipped her chin up and gazed into her eyes. "Are you mines, dear sister? Will you eagerly support my cause?"

    Sentavia moved away from her brother and walked to the window. She could feel his touch upon her skin. It disturbed her. She drew a breath and turned to face her brother. "Have I not always given you my support? For better or for worse? Our fates are entwined. Did not the Seer foretell it so?"

    Amon snorted. "I put no stock in such trash. Fate is something for the un-enlightened. I believe in myself. In my might, my right, our people, and I believe in us." He clenched his fists together. "The time is drawing near. It's time to show that we are not seals. I'll settle for nothing less than what was once ours. Even I have to wade through an ocean of blood to claim it then so be it."



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
I like all reviews.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on March 12, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing