It Started With A Dance...

It Started With A Dance...

A Chapter by Alyssa_Dright

It started with a dance…
The Valentine’s Day dance is not fun. It’s filled with cupids and hearts and what is there to love about average Hannah?
Not to mention she only got three Valentine’s Day cards. And two were from her brothers. They aren’t so bad.
Nicki got many. She was hoping she would get on from James but he wasn’t in school the whole day because of a doctor’s appointment.
Halfway through the dance a slow song comes on. The lights get dimmer and the bodies get closer. And Hannah sits alone as everyone else dances.
She feels a tap on her shoulder. James.
She smiles brightly at the young man in his red dress shirt and black with pink hearts tie.
“You wanna dance? You shouldn’t sit alone on Valentine’s day.” He says with a shy smile. Hannah blushes and takes his outstretched hand.
“I would love to.” She states simply. They move to the dancing crowd and start a slow swaying. Her hands on his shoulders, his innocently on her waist.
“You look beautiful. You match my tie.” He says looking in her eyes. She blushes and shyly glances at her dress. Just a plain black dress with pink hearts scattered everywhere.
They slow dance through three more songs before he ushers her back to her seat and going to get them punch. Nicki comes to squeal with her but they stop immediately when James is within hearing distance.
He offers her his punch but she declines. Too much sugar. She sits with the last boy she dances with and he and James talk about hockey.
He holds her hand under the table the entire time. Blush tinting both their cheeks.
James’ mom gives her a ride home and James walks her to the door.
Again they stare awkwardly at each other before James slips an envelope into her hand and kisses her cheek.
She stands blushing as he quickly retreats to his warm smiling mother in the car.
Hannah is still outside, holding her cheek and the card with a dopy smile on her face, when Nicki pulls up five minutes later.
Nicki snaps her fingers and then takes the card, opening it for her shocked best friend.
It is just a handwritten note from the boy. Hannah snatches it before Nicki can read it out loud.
Happy Valentine’s Day to a beautiful and wonderful young woman.
XOXO, James.
And it started with a dance.


© 2014 Alyssa_Dright


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on October 27, 2014
Last Updated on October 27, 2014
Tags: Teen, Romance, Cute, Young Adult, YA, Love


Author

Alyssa_Dright
Alyssa_Dright

MN



About
20 something aspiring writer, starting my journey to a BA in Creative Writing Fall 2015! so excited. First book A Drug Called Love coming soon! more..

Writing