5

5

A Chapter by Azulberry

Ch. 5

            Jimmy and the Boy depart from the village of the Fall Children. The Boy leads them toward an opening of the narrow path they are walking.

            “Wester road is dangerous Jimmy. Unordinary subjects will make appearances at this juncture and show aggression toward anything they feel is weak or not worthy. The road is going to gradually reduce in size as we proceed through, but we must not fall. The river of lost souls resides under the road. The river water is acidic and will kill anything in a matter of minutes. These Lost Souls were a group of indigenous people who use to roam this island and practice their religion. Their religion involved the Sacrifice Theory, though they had never actually sacrificed anybody before. They believed and feared the Nephilim; a supposed god but it betrayed them. The Nephilim demanded that they all sacrifice themselves in what is now the river of lost souls. It promised that they would all be entered into paradise; heaven in other words.

‘Do you want to feel the warmth? To taste the life, to taste THE life? Do you want to taste the life? To taste the life, to taste the life flow? Open your veins so we can make a pool and bathe.’ The Nephilim said convincingly. “

“It was 3pm. And they began their chant, ‘I hear the mourning choir Sing to me their elegy. I hear the mourning choir. We are the wakeful, wry and watchful, we're awaiting.’ The ‘leader’ of the Lost Souls said the final words, and then it happened: I offer grace, I offer blood; I offer everything till my heart is crystal clear. Amen.’ So all of the people followed suit and sacrificed themselves in the river. They slit their wrists and throats. And here’s some salt for their wounds; their blood and foolish sacrifices was for nothing, the Nephilim was an imposter. It was and maybe still is, a power-hungry creature testing its limit of control over others. It was definitely no god. And now the river is indefinitely cursed. The Fall Children call it the story at three.”

            “Wow, how do you know all of this?” Jimmy wonders.

            “Well if you need to know, I’ve had a lot of spare time since I’ve been spellbound here. So I applied my archeology hat, and began investigating the area’s rich history. And I’ve really come to fancy archeology, its great fun. The Fall Children told me some stories that they were familiar with about certain areas, and so, I went and excavated these places. I also learned some significant information about the Nephilim. It still exists but it only harasses creatures it knows it’s stronger than. My analysis and conclusion says it more than likely despises sunlight. I also believe it fears me deeply. Sometimes I feel like it’s observing me here. It’s waiting for my strength to completely wither away. The Nephilim is like a fallen angel with two broken wings. It wants to reach to the sky like a devil meant for better things; it’s growing its wings in the shadows. Tell me Jimmy, have you run into the Nephilim?”

            Jimmy shakes his head no, to the Boy’s disappointment. They pass through a set of thick bushes hoarding up all of the space on the path. A thin but tall sign appears after those pesky hoarding bushes, it reads, “Wester Road.” Wester road towers above the river of lost souls, about four hundred feet high. The width of the path is six feet wide with no railings or anything to grab hold of. It is a dirt path that is complimented with an aurora of grass. The suns blisters down and sweat crashes onto the grime. Gargantuan trees surround Wester Road, and the vines droop down whimpering away as they advance across. The stream is talking while they pass; they breathe in the mist and continue walking.

            “I must also warn you about this side of the island. Not even I have ventured out far into this place. We must creep through the twilight to that hidden place beyond the Lonely.” Jimmy gives the Boy a concerned expression. “Don’t worry Jimmy; the two of us traveling together will intimidate just about anything here that were familiar with anyway. If something does mean to do us harm, then I would be seriously cautious of it.”

            “And what’s the Lonely?”

            “Well Jimmy I can say without a doubt that I have absolutely no idea. There are many mysteries in this place. I’ve gotten familiar with several areas of the island but not all of them.”

            They go further down the sketchy road. The island is quiet. The only audible noise is from the footsteps of Jimmy and the Boy. The sides of Wester Road crumble down into the abyss and into the river of Lost Souls. Drops of sweat rehydrate the ground as they slowly progress.

As Jimmy and the Boy are discussing how to make the perfect flower garden, the road begins to shake. They glance in all directions searching for the solution to the equation that is now cast into their minds. The solution is the reason for the road shaking, like its having a seizure. Jimmy points south! Two giant rolling balls accelerate toward them with violent ambitions. The rolling balls crash into the side of Wester Road with tremendous velocity. The dirt road begins to tumble down and nose dive into the pit of the river. Jimmy and the Boy hurdle a great distance to apply their grip onto the edge of what’s left of Wester Road. Jimmy’s beard stretches out and begins to help Jimmy and the Boy up from the edge. They make eye contact as they rise. They both have a twinkle of amusement and exhilaration in their eyes. Only a select few would enjoy the adrenalin rush of death. No fear. Death is just another formality.

“That was a close one.” Jimmy says with a smirk on his face. “How do you figure those rolling balls came our way?”

“Guessing from how much force that it hit with, I’d guess it wasn’t exactly natural. Don’t be a fool though, the danger is just starting.” The Boy says with eager confidence, so they press on proudly; Even George Washington would be overcome from their swagger.

Wester Road has reached its arm around and led into an entrance of a cave. They stand square as the light breeze blows around them with gentle care; it whispers morality and innocence. The cave reveals nothing but shadows and ambiguity; they walk in fearlessly and arrogantly. The cave offers no help with spectacle. Only the resonance of dripping water echoes through the cave. Their footsteps paint the cave and sound the illusion of someone or something marching toward them. Jimmy’s beard lights up like Christmas. The shadows whine in disgust as it’s phased out by the dazzling light. A thundering boom blasts through the cave! A profound and rapid breeze sprints through the cave. The explosion gave birth at the very entrance of the cave.

“The dream �" I mean the cave is collapsing!” The Boy screams in a high pitch growl.

They head down deeper as they gradually pick up their pace. The walls are crumbling at a close pace behind them. Rocks fall down around them like a Geodude using rock throw. A bright light at the end of the cave appears not a second too late. The light is suddenly blocked off by a rather intimidating sized creature. With no hesitation Jimmy made the assessment; He dives toward the creature without losing any momentum or velocity, and with his katana pointed outward; the katana breaches the defense of the creature and with his great momentum pierces right through its body. It lands on its exterior of the cave. Jimmy lies on top of the creature with katana still through the beast. The Boy had also dived right behind Jimmy just barely making it out of the collapsing cave. Both of them lie down for a second to catch their breath. Music dances around them. A small boom box sits in front of the entrance to a graveyard.

“Little lover, you’re in trouble.” The song playing from the boom box is fast paced and rather catchy to listen to. It’s alright but it’s quite distracting to their purpose. The sound waves of the song are a kryptonite for the Boy.  

“Look.” Jimmy turns. “We have reached the Lonely I believe. Beyond this graveyard we will enter the other dimension.” Jimmy lifts the boom box and observes it for just a moment. He tosses it up into the air and his beard swings ferociously and shatters the boom box. The Boy rises to his feet. “I’m feeling better already.”

The graveyard is covered in fog while the sky around them glows purple and blue. A short stoned wall protects the entrance. The stoned wall is complimented with sharp daggers as if to say “stay out.” The gate entrance is engulfed by a stone cover. They open the gate; it makes an obnoxious screech as it slowly opens. Jimmy places one foot into the graveyard and a sonic boom sends Jimmy flying into the collapsed exit of the cave. The Boy looks on with apprehension.

“Are you alright?”

“It’s like nothing I’ve ever felt before. Something has awakened. We must prepare ourselves for battle.”

“No you must prepare for battle Jimmy. I need to save my little power and energy I have left to open up the dimensions for you to enter.” The Boy says sternly.

Jimmy rises to his feet and enters the graveyard. There are large and small tombstones all around. The larger ones have wings and bizarre faces on them. They appear different from one another; one looks like its praying while another is just menacing. A sliver of the graveyard is cemented. The rest glows purple and black. Jimmy decides not to step on the abnormal ground and stay grounded on the sliver of cement. Jimmy stares into the sky and notices something flying down toward him.

“No way, it can’t be!” The Boy exclaims!

“Be wh-“

“It is the Phoenix! I thought it was long extinct from this place. The Fall Children spoke of the days of the Phoenix and how it was a callous monster. It wanted nothing more but to obliterate everything in its path, like Exodia. But if it still alive then why . . . “The Boy fades away into his unfathomable thoughts.

The Phoenix glides down into the graveyard. An authoritative gust of wind consumes the entire cemetery. Jimmy just stares impeccably toward the Phoenix. It’s black and has two horns on its head. Its wings are wide and sharp like the fence surrounding the graveyard.

Hello Jimmy. I hope you’re as excited to see me as I am to see you. Your power can be felt throughout the plain. I had to see you for myself; I almost didn’t believe you were here until you stepped onto my turf. Let's strip you down so we can see your old scars. Let's lift you up so we can see how fast you fall and now, you'll crawl. The lack of loyalty you thought you once felt; Now, you're gonna feel it. Have you turned, turned to dust? Now, show me. Now, show me how to shine.”

“I don’t care who you are, or where you’re from, or what you did. As long as you get outta my way because I’m in a rush.” Jimmy retracts his katana from it’s sheathe. Phoenix raises its arms to show off its giant five sharp fingers. It flies straight for Jimmy! He too charges toward Phoenix. The sound of blades clashing rings deafeningly. Jimmy attempts a few sudden strikes with his katana but is blocked every time. Their swift movement creates a whirlwind around the battlefield. Phoenix commences to bulrush Jimmy into the stone wall with remarkable force. Jimmy’s suave fedora lands perfectly veneer from the battle. Phoenix’s fist penetrates Jimmy’s oblique with one solid punch after another, and moves on to the ribs viciously. Jimmy winces from the blows being omnipotent. Phoenix inevitably punches Jimmy through the entire stone wall, and lands on his back battered and bruised. The whirlwind soon dissipates. Jimmy makes eye contact with the Boy as he lies.

“He’s a bit tougher than I first imagined.” Jimmy chokes out a little laugh. His laughing impedes and he showers his insides onto the mushy floor.

Phoenix gives Jimmy a perplexed expression. It flies toward Jimmy with no warning and slashes him across the chest. It then picks Jimmy up from the collar of his fine shirt and prepares to wind up a potent punch. With little attention being paid to Jimmy’s sly hands he readies his katana. Phoenix launches his impressive blow but is outright dumbfounded when it is blocked by none other than Jimmy’s own beard. He stares right into the eyes of Phoenix.

“This is my leaving song. Do you hear it?!”

Phoenix shares an inquisitive look. Jimmy with one forceful thrust stabs his katana into the ribs of Phoenix. The heavens darken with the cry from Phoenix. Jimmy jams his foot with intent into the gut of Phoenix. It slides off his katana like butter. Jimmy quickly paces toward the Boy.

“We must not waste time, open the wormhole.”

The Boy gathers his wits and sits; He crosses his legs and steadies his arms. The Boy closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He mutes every sound, image, and thought rolling around his cranium. Jimmy, the Phoenix, the island, and any personal thoughts are cast out. The math commences.

Jimmy’s attention goes from The Boy to Phoenix. It’s not moving but Jimmy is suspicious it may still breathe life. Electricity ignites three feet away, and the sound barrier shatters into pieces as the wormhole explodes open. The entire ground level is accelerating from the heavy draft that ensued from the opening of the portal.

"Remember to look for the ‘me’ in the other dimensions! I'm sure you can convince me for help." The Boy rises to his feet as he screams over the information.

"Will you look the same?!"

"I'm not entirely sure; I never met myself in the other dimensions! I was fearful of a paradox if I met myself! Get going now!" The Boy waved his arms rushing Jimmy into the wormhole.

Jimmy takes a deep breath and brushes the dirt off his beard; He readies his suave fedora. Jimmy sprints into the portal with great conviction. As his feet lastly enter the dimension, it closes shut with the same exploding entrance as it first appeared.



© 2018 Azulberry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
Added on September 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2018


Author

Azulberry
Azulberry

Hemet, CA



About
I love writing, and I need feedback. Please help yourselves and critique away. If it at the least entertains you, then I'll consider it a win. Days of the Phoenix more..

Writing
Sequester Sequester

A Chapter by Azulberry