9

9

A Chapter by Azulberry

Ch. 9

I left it all behind, and never said goodbye

I left it all to die

I saw its birth, I watched it grow

I felt it change me

I took the life, I ate it slow

Now it consumes me

“Mmm, pass me some of those divine grapes. And be snappy about it God damn it.” His aide picks up the plate of grapes and hands it to the disgruntled man. He pouts while huffing and puffing with a dramatic sigh. His arms crossed like an upset child, stretching out his undersized suit. He is surrounded by his six trustworthy bodyguards, each having their own unique power of defense. 

“Here you are sir.” His aide Melissa states while bending her knee. He snatches the plate of grapes out of her hand unnecessarily forceful. Melissa’s discomfort is palpable and begins to show with perspiration on her forehead. It creeps down her face as uncomfortably as the way she is feeling at this very moment. He stares at her and pauses for an extended period of time that would make anybody feel uneasy. 

“You may go woman, on your way now.” He says with malice. As she turns to leave his eyes are drawn to her a*s and gives it a hardy slap. “Yes, very nice indeed.” She leaves the room in utter embarrassment and with tears in her eyes. She passes his right hand man on her way out of the king’s chamber. 

“Good morning sir, hope you're feeling well on this fine day. I have a full report for you.” Michael states with glee. His balding hairline and big nose are not pleasing to anybody’s eyesight. His eyes resemble a person’s spirit who has since passed away. Michael’s ears are profound and appear to be rat-like. He is thin and bony, and reeks of something sinister inside. As if he was rotting from the inside and somehow just living like a plague on the world. 

“Oh good, did we deal with that reporter over at The Times yet? He had such harsh and unfair things to say about me. I don’t need that kind of negative attention on me.”

“Yes sir, he will never be heard from ever again. I also have an update on The Perfecting Post News Organization, they were a bit combative about changing their tune on our leadership. So I only had to shoot two of them before they changed their minds. 

“Good good. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.” 

“There was one last thing I wanted to enlighten you about. There is a small coalition of townsfolk gathering outside of the castle. They’re protesting your reign and the way you treat them. They’re wearing masks and hiding their identities.” Michael says with a peculiar smile on his face. 

“Well, handle it why don’t you. Find out who they are and show no mercy for their insolence. You know what to do Mr. Miller.” 

“Yes King Grump. I will handle it right away.” He bows and walks out with a hitch in his step; Like a child excited to open a gift. 

Armed guards have barricaded the entrance to the castle. The protesters have posters displaying their great displeasure of their kingdom’s government. A lady with dark shades covering her eyes proudly waves her poster, “Down with Grump”, while the gentleman next to her shares his poster, “Impeach Grump.” A small group of anti protesters on the other side are spewing disdain toward the protesters of King Grump. They wear their t-shirts that support King Grump, “Make the Perfecting Kingdom Perfect Again.” 

Michael Miller, the right hand of King Grump walks out to address the protesters. “This protest is unlawful and must be stopped immediately.  If all of you do not disperse within the next 15 minutes I will have no choice but to release the Anathema. You will have brought this on yourselves.” 

The crowd murmurs and is apprehensive to leave. Some people in the crowd begin to leave. Others stay and try to convince the departing protesters to also stay. They tell them that only united can they stand up to the tyrant. 

“I know how you must feel. The Anathema is a myth right? Well please take a seat and find out just how much of a myth it truly is.” Michael says with a devilish grin. “I’d honestly prefer that you all stay, and just to prove you all wrong. I would describe its appearance like a radiant eclipse, it comes seldomly but it's something that you’ll never forget.” The crowd begins to make haste to leave the area. Michael observes them with great curiosity and malice. His cheeks rise with anticipation. The grin on his face explodes with giddy giggles. “You know what everyone.” He looks to catch the gaze of the crowd. “I know it's only been like 2-3 minutes, but I am far too excited for this. Guards! Release the Anathema!” 

The crowd of protesters gasps in horror as the ground before them opens up, and slowly rises a large box sealed with black paint. The protesters freeze and tense up as the black box exhales while the floor below it regrounds itself. King Grump walks out to his upper floor patio, he looks out down on the city. His gold crown shimmers in the little sunlight peeking through the overcast weather, but his attention goes to the black box in front of the castle. The ledge has a microphone for the King to speak into to communicate simultaneously to the entire Perfecting Kingdom. Speakers are set up around most of the kingdom, originally meant for true emergencies. But King Grump just uses it randomly all of the time. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, please use your listening ears and leave the area. Stop reading the fake news about my leadership. None of it is true, only the good things are true. Believe me, I only do good, nobody does more good than me. I consider myself a very stable genius, you can trust me.” King Grump says with confidence. The crowd yells at King Grump, he only hears bits and pieces of what they have to say about him. It quickly sours his mood, he crosses his arms tightly in disgust. “You can’t speak that way to me! I am the King! I can send you all to the other shithole kingdoms if you’d like! I have had just about enough of this.” Michael opens the black box and out steps the . . . 



© 2021 Azulberry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on March 4, 2021
Last Updated on March 4, 2021


Author

Azulberry
Azulberry

Hemet, CA



About
I love writing, and I need feedback. Please help yourselves and critique away. If it at the least entertains you, then I'll consider it a win. Days of the Phoenix more..

Writing
Sequester Sequester

A Chapter by Azulberry