In Quitting

In Quitting

A Poem by Brad Dehler
"

Brief yet complex, hopefully these poems speak for themselves

"

In quitting,

            One lays one’s power down

            To weakness

The power exists

But the weak

            Have lost recognition

© 2021 Brad Dehler


Author's Note

Brad Dehler
Page 7- From my first book CANTUS (2010). My other two books are Syzygy (2020) and Dose (2016)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So this caught my eye… probably because it could be debated. Perhaps one could simply get frustrated and quit, not willing to try or recognize their own strength to overcome. But maybe their are times when quitting is the best thing for the soul… hmmmm 😊 Nice write full of questions!

Posted 1 Year Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Susan! Precisely. This is the fulcrum, the indecisive middle between that time. Before the.. read more



Reviews

Dam to true to the world today...Thankyou for this

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


Read this post twice, still thinking. In life, surely, we have choices.. to quit when wrong, to think about quitting when we don't know the right from the wrong. The choice is ours alone, each of us whole and for that fact alone, can make decisions without condemnation from those holier than thou! No reason to query, what matters is your poem is stronger than a blade of grass because it doesn't cut down the logic of it.

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

7 Months Ago

Thank you for your take on it Emmajoy! Very interesting and insightful. I appreciate your message he.. read more
Such power behind the words! Beautifully written

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

8 Months Ago

Thank you!!
Happy 2023, Brad!
I so enjoy work from a writer keen minded enough to create a thought-provoking piece, and you've done so quite articulately, with a unique presentation and conciseness.

"Quitters never win!" But, there often come sensible times to realize one's own limitations.

If one is acting like an idiot, seems it would always the right time to quit.
If one is being destructive, bullying, unkind, unproductive, etc; etc; etc; there's seldom ever good reason to persist.
Positive reasons to quit could be almost indefinite, with equally as many valid reasons and circumstances to never give-up.

As for "recognition," in the end, each of us must choose the ways we're willing to be considered by others and oneself.

Brad, you pose sensibility in a most enticing manner that, obviously, stirred my olde gray matter … thank you for the share.
KUDOS! ⁓ Richard🖌

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

8 Months Ago

Thank you for the response to the poem Richard! I have read it several times. I appreciate it so muc.. read more
Richard🖌

8 Months Ago

Obviously, Brad,
You pushed one of my more loquacious buttons. : )

It was my d.. read more
Brad Dehler

8 Months Ago

I am eternally grateful. I appreciate so much your care, concern and insights in the matter. And it .. read more
In quitting, there is loss of heart, the most powerful part of us.
Weakness wins as we become our own weakness and perhaps thus weakened, we lose our own recognition.
Sometimes, the decison to quit is logical but logic was never from the heart and its the heart that drives us mostly.
A complex yet very fascinating poem and one I enjoyed thinking on.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

It thrills me to know that this poem got you thinking and that it was enjoyed. Thank you so very muc.. read more
In other words while you're strong, you get to decide how things go... When you're not, that becomes a luxury too pricey for you.

Well, human beings can endure a LOT of abuse and still come out fighting... Most of them anyway.

Quitting is normally an option to consider once the fight and its outcome are no longer of any consequence... But even then, we're programmed from childhood on to uphold these images that were supposed to be us.... And if nothing else, the integrity of that image is reason enough to fight... But is it worth it... That's a different question.

Shorter than I had expected but heck. I wrote another essay, so you've done something right.
Cheers

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

I am encouraged by your essays sir. Very good. Yes, again the charm of poetry. So much said and pres.. read more
Dennis Wolf

1 Year Ago

It does not really matter how many times you go down... So long as it's not the last time.
read more
Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Well delivered Dennis, thank you
Many quit too early because they do not know that persistence pays off. When you stick and achieve, you feel great. That is powerful. Good read.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Chris! Yes this is about persistence. It is something else entirely to cut loss and quit. .. read more
The key to quitting is to not engage a losing position.
Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't know that continuation is always a sign of strength. There are people who quit marriages because they realize there's no future there, to escape an abusive spouse or irreconcilable differences. There are people who quit jobs because they see no chance of advancement or they feel no appreciation for their work and only want to better themselves and their careers. Sometimes quitting is the best course of action and can require greater courage and more common sense than simply waiting for things to get better. Why give power of your life over to an ungrateful boss or a belligerent spouse? Oh, I agree that dogged determination and tenacity can be winning traits and laudable under the right circumstances but not always. Like most things, there is no "one size fits all" philosophy because situations and circumstances can vary. It was an interesting write, nonetheless and I enjoyed the read. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Absolutely. You got it, the strength isnt alway pressing forward. The very premise along with the en.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

480 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2021
Last Updated on October 21, 2021
Tags: Poem, Poetry, Struggle, Quitting

Author

Brad Dehler
Brad Dehler

Salem, OR



About
Hello I am interested in sharing some of the poetry I've produced since I was little. This is not for career or monetary gain, not that there is anything wrong with having art as a career, but I am ju.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA


Holes Holes

A Poem by Brad Dehler


Shadow Shadow

A Poem by A. Amos