Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Reaching for the clouds
"

Travis gets more bad news.

"

Early the next morning a tired and sore Travis realizes he needs to go back to his former home and at least get some clothes and a few other items before he can leave there for good.  He isn’t looking forward to this to say the least. He was in love with Andrea.  He still is, and he is still in shock at coming home and seeing her with another man in what was their home. 

Travis has felt guilty for the past few months since he has often thought of being with other women.  He’s thought about having affairs since his sex life with Andrea has become so scarce. But he has never actually acted on those thoughts.   He has been loyal and committed to his relationship with Andrea, and his growing bond with Taylor. But seeing Andrea with another man sexually on their couch ends this relationship for good for Travis.  He’s humiliated. He’s never thought Andrea was the type to just sleep with other guys without at least giving off some clue that things might be heading that direction.

While driving and getting closer to his former home Travis thinks to himself, The funny part is that Andrea is probably wondering where I’m been all night.  I am surprised she never tried to call me on my cell.  I have no missed calls!

 Travis can’t help also but to think of poor Taylor.  That little girl was the glue that kept him with Andrea as long as he was.  Sometimes Taylor would say the sweetest things!  She was like a daughter to him and he will never forget that.  But what happens with that now?   He will likely never see Taylor again and that might be the worst part of this mess.

Although Travis at this hour does not know where he will be staying tonight, he does know that he needs to get his things and hopefully take a shower so that this day at least has some chance of not being another nightmare like yesterday was.  It’s 6:30 am now, and Travis hopes that this stop doesn’t turn into an emotional encounter.  He needs to get his things and get ready for work later this morning.

Travis finally arrives at the house and gets out of the truck as quickly as possible.  He doesn’t even bother to look to see if there is a car parked nearby, or if any lights are on at the house.  Travis grabs his keys and quickly opens the door to the house.  To Travis’ shock no one is home.   Wow!  What a relief.  Travis now goes about the business of quickly grabbing as much of his stuff that he can fit into his full sized pickup.  Travis has no intention of taking anything that is not his.  Most everything in the house belongs to Andrea anyway.

Forty five minutes later a showered up Travis starts to pull out of the driveway with a loaded pickup.  As he is leaving Andrea pulls up in front of the house!  Oh crap!   Andrea is alone.  Taylor is nowhere to be seen.

 A five minute nerve wracking conversation with Andrea doesn’t yield anything significant other than that both agree its time to move on.  Andrea is surprisingly calm as she tells Travis that she was always aware and concerned about his lack of actual affection toward her, and she felt the need to get back at him.  Her current boyfriend wants and is willing to give her more.   Andrea also explained that Taylor had spent the night with Andrea’s mother and is doing fine.  Travis only told her that he hoped to be able to somehow maintain some contact with Taylor and Andrea agreed that that is still possible.

Travis pulls out of the driveway and away from Andrea feeling better about things.   He knows he will miss Andrea and is still hurting over this breakup, but he is happy things ended cordially.

The next few days at work are actually soothing for Travis.  He is happy to be busy and at work.  He actually hates to leave work at the end of his shift. He is surprised that no one at work seems to know anything about the future of the company.  Travis thinks Am I the only employee who knows anything?  Travis has not said a word to anyone at work hoping that the news turns out to only be an empty rumor.

First thing Thursday morning Travis is called in to Rick’s office with another man standing there in the office as well.  Rick introduces the man to be one of the new owners of the company.  Travis’ heart sinks as the two men mutually explain to Travis that his job is being eliminated.  He will be done working for the company in another two weeks and will be given a severance paycheck!

Rick tries to put everything together by saying, “I know this is another tough kick in the nuts for you Travis, but your position will be the first one to be eliminated.”

Travis feels a strong wave of anger come over him as stands up and says to both men, “F**k both of you.  I’m out of here.”  Then Travis pushes the office door open firmly and storms out of the plant for what will be the last time.  Travis feels his eyes fill with tears and his breathing increase as he walks quickly to the parking lot.



© 2011 Reaching for the clouds


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
Added on December 30, 2011
Last Updated on December 31, 2011


Author

Reaching for the clouds
Reaching for the clouds

CO



About
I think feeling and emotion should be evident in all writes. We are artists here people! Lets not hide that. I dont do read requests, but I review often. What is the difference between wri.. more..

Writing