Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A Chapter by Reaching for the clouds
"

Travis in unaware of events that have started to unfold back in Dunlap.

"

Several hours later, as both lie alone in separate beds and struggle to sleep, Travis gets up to go outside and use the outhouse.   Travis is not used to being at his secret hideaway under such circumstances.  He is used to coming up to the cabin with friends after a long, stressful, week at work and relaxing with a bunch of guys who are set to let loose with cases of beer, and a long night of card playing.  One particular time, Travis and a few of the guys were too tired and hung over the next day to even go deer hunting-which was the point of that particular trip!

 

The cabin itself is remote and rustic, yet comfortable.  It is equipped with both heating and air conditioning.  There are electrical outlets throughout the interior, and the cabin also has decent furniture and attractive hardwood flooring.  Travis would hate to ever lose the privilege of visiting this place.  He has thought of buying out his friends in order to own the cabin outright.  But, at this point, just affording food and gas without a job is a struggle, and staying in this area after the s**t hits the fan with the ransom demand is very unlikely.

 

Maybe after this score I can get the hell out of Dunlap for good and never have to think of this miserable time of my life ever again!  I just need to keep my wits about me and not allow frustration, emotion, or impatience cause me to make a mistake.

 

Travis is however not comforted by these thoughts.  He has never previously been a criminal and the whole idea of possibly going to prison worries him greatly.   Have I just totally screwed up? Will I be able to get away with this crime after all?  Will I just be on the run after I get the money, or will I be able to make a clean break from this mess after I leave the state?    Do her parents even have money? And, what am I going to do with Alex afterward?  What happens if she runs or gets away at some point?  She has seen my face and knows who I am!  Will I be able to actually hurt her or get rid of her if things don’t go well?

 

I’m not a killer!

 

One of the items that Travis purchased before leaving Dunlap was a disposable cell phone.  Travis intends on using this phone to make calls regarding a ransom since the phone really can’t be traced back to him. Travis knows that everything must fall into place quickly and in correct order to avoid having this situation turn into one more nightmare for him.   Travis has also brought along a few bottles of wine and rum, in order to have something to feel more relaxed amid the possible intense stress.

 

 

Several hundred miles to the northwest, back in Dunlap, student Christine Backwater gets a call from police detective Steve Morrison.  “Hello there, Christine.  I wanted to get back to you about our interview yesterday.  I just wanted to ask you a few more questions about Alex.  You got a few minutes?”

 

Christine had seen the abduction.   She was sitting among some trees near where Alex had been forcibly taken by Travis the previous day.   At first, Christine thought that this all must be some kind of game.  Is this her boyfriend just playing a game?  But she seemed so surprised and scared!  And, the man who took her seemed so intense.

 

Christine is in a class with Alex three days a week called Abnormal Psychology.  Christine doesn’t know Alex personally, but she has never seen the man that took her and she felt the need to do something when she sees Alex taken into a truck seemingly without her permission.  Christine first contacted campus security right after incident then she was forwarded to the Dunlap Police Department, who then forwarded this case to the FBI to help with the case.

 

At this point, Alex’s parents have both been notified, and law enforcement is currently interviewing people who were near the scene.   All of Alex’s closest friends have already been questioned, and Christine is able to give a full description of the truck, of Travis, and the direction the truck was headed.   Meanwhile, the various agencies working on this case are narrowing down possible kidnappers.  It is only a matter of time before those looking for Alex will start to head in the direction of the cabin. Law enforcement is currently concentrating on finding someone with a motive. Over 30 law enforcement officials are currently working long into the night looking for clues that will eventually lead them to Travis and Alex. 

 

 

This has been a restless night for these two.  Travis comes back into the cabin to find Alex moving restlessly in her bed, obviously not sleeping. Travis has so far not slept.  He is only thinking, and then thinking even more. His worries overwhelm his mind in the endless possibilities.  Of all the things that can go wrong. 

 

Of getting arrested and imprisoned for the federal crime of kidnapping. Should I just take her back home and plead to her and whoever else that this was a grand mistake and that I’m sorry?

 

Travis can only sit on his bed and think when he is actually thankful to hear Alex's sweet, clear voice interrupting his undesirable thoughts.

 

"Umm.  Frank? I need to pee, where’s that bathroom again?"

 



© 2012 Reaching for the clouds


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

aghh what is he gonna do?! i hope Travis has a plan :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Added on January 16, 2012
Last Updated on February 4, 2012


Author

Reaching for the clouds
Reaching for the clouds

CO



About
I think feeling and emotion should be evident in all writes. We are artists here people! Lets not hide that. I dont do read requests, but I review often. What is the difference between wri.. more..

Writing