Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Reaching for the clouds
"

Travis puts his plan into action.

"

                

 

 

I can’t believe I’m even thinking of doing this’!  Travis thinks as he starts up the pickup and drives back to the motel.   But what other viable options do I have?   Should I start applying for jobs?  This economy sucks!   And I don’t have any money to even wait for a first paycheck to arrive.  Well, at least I have my final paycheck coming from Mann Lake.  That is nice, considering that may be my last look at money for a while.  I wonder if I qualify for foodstamps?

 

Travis arrives back at the motel deep in thought.  Or is it self pity?   Did I really have to just lose it on Rick this morning?   D****t!  He was a friend! I should have just chilled out a bit and just taken my lumps.  I was expecting them anyway, and now things are worse since I am now officially out of work!

 

Travis doesn’t want to think about his current situation.  It’s not a good one.  What can I do to make things better -and quickly?

 

He starts to think again of the pretty coed at the University.  There is no doubt that she has people that care about her.  She probably has a boyfriend, other friends, parents, and others who want her to be happy.   I wonder if she has ever had any bad thing happen to her?  She doesn’t look like she has ever frowned!  She must be from money.   Her clothes tell the story there.

 

I wonder what would it be like to just take her and ask for money to give her back?  I mean, her parents no doubt have money, at least more money than I have.  And I’m sure they wouldn’t want anything to happen to her.  Is this really an option for me?   Can I do this?  Would this work?  Would I be able to hide her somewhere and then make a call asking for money?  This just might be the one thing I need to do to get back on my feet.  And then, after this is over, I can look for work and get back to normal.

 

The next day Travis makes a light lunch at around noon and decides he will make another visit to the parking lot next to the same sidewalk on University Drive.  She probably will be walking by again around 12:45 since I am guessing her class in the Ed Arts Building starts at 1 p.m.

 

Travis arrives and starts to wait for Alex in his pickup.  He knows this will be a challenge since there are literally hundreds of students changing classes at the moment, as well as others who are just hanging around throwing Frisbees or relaxing in the mid day sun.

 

This isn’t too conspicuous is it?  Does this idea rank up there with the stupidest in history?

 

Travis has made provisions for this tentative plan by making sure he has cash in his wallet, several different ropes in the back seat of this truck, a roll of duct tape, flashlights, blankets, towels, a first aid kit, and even a bag of groceries.  Travis also has a video camera, extra batteries, his phone charger, and extra changes of clothes all in a duffle bag in the back cab of the truck.

 

Travis’ heart starts to pound and his mouth goes dry as his pickup gets close to where Alex is walking.  Travis gets out of the truck and onto the sidewalk right behind her. 

 

As Travis sees that he is getting closer to Alex he starts to doubt himself.   This is nuts!  This will never work! 

 

But Travis simply reminds himself that he is:  a) smart and a quick thinker,   b) resourceful and organized, c) desperate and without many others options, and d) crazy enough to make this plan work.

 

Alex stops in front of the Fine Arts building as she notices her tiny gold cross necklace has fallen off. She bends over to pick it up off the ground and fixes it around her neck.  She does this without noticing she is being followed by a man she has never met, a man wants to grab her and drag her off in his truck so he can hold her for ransom-a federal felony.

 

Alex is five feet tall and is today wearing a short, pretty lavender skirt and white top. She is wearing white stockings and is a thin yet shapely girl.  Alex is popular among the younger college crowd and she has tried to get involved in as many activities as she has time for.  She doesn’t work as she has her expenses paid by her father and mother while she concentrates on passing her classes and completing her liberal arts degree.

 

Travis thinks, "I can’t believe I’m doing this...but…."


He quickly comes up behind her and covers her mouth gripping onto her tightly as she is now unable to scream.  He immediately feels strong resistance coming from this younger, smaller woman; who tries to get an elbow free in order to slug him in the ribs with it.  She is a fighter!

 

 

 



© 2012 Reaching for the clouds


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on February 11, 2012


Author

Reaching for the clouds
Reaching for the clouds

CO



About
I think feeling and emotion should be evident in all writes. We are artists here people! Lets not hide that. I dont do read requests, but I review often. What is the difference between wri.. more..

Writing