Might Become A Story

Might Become A Story

A Chapter by Becky Lawrence
"

This is just an idea floating around in my head right now. I'm thinking about turning it into a story, but not until I figure out what I'm doing with the two I already have going right now.

"
That day started out like any one. Aubrey, Chase, and Broderick were driving in Aubrey's F-350. They had their three bikes in the back, secured tightly. The weather was hot and humid, it's midsummer. The trio got to Travis' place around noon.
They spent hours doing jumps into the foam pit. Aubrey was getting bored with it though. It just wasn't the same when you jump into the foam. Aubrey wanted to try out her new tricks for real.
Broderick warned her that she wasn't ready. He told her over and over that she should just work in the foam pit more. "I'll be careful. I have my gear on." She replied cheerfully.
Broderick, Chase, and Travis watched in fear as Aubrey raced off for the ramp. Broderick got on his bike to go after her. But he didn't get there soon enough. Aubrey had raced off the jump by the time he got there. He could barely watch as she fell from the sky. It was the worst possible case scenario for a MX rider. The bike was falling from above her.
"She's going to get crushed!" Broderick yelled. He hated that he couldn't help her. If he could, he'd trade places with Audrey. She was young, and had so much left for her in life.
He flinches and shuts his eyes as Aubrey and her bike come crashing down to earth with the hideous sound of bones shattering. It seemed like it took forever. He wished Aubrey could just stay suspended in space instead of having gravity grab her.
Chase and Travis run to help Aubrey. They were afraid of the condition she might be in. Chase has seen people die after a crash like this. Full grown men with all their gear on, every precaution taken, and the bikes just crushed them. What has the bike done to Aubrey?
Broderick couldn't bear to see Aubrey's tiny, bent, and broken body laying in the dirt. But he couldn't look away. He had to know if she is okay. He slowly took uncertain steps to where she was. As he got closer he could see more of what happened.
Travis had already gotten the bike out of the way. It's twisted and ruined metal scared Broderick more. If the bike was that damaged, how could Aubrey even survive? Broderick took a dep breath before looking at Aubrey.
When he did, his stomache heaved. He turned away quickly. It was too much for him. Her arms were definitely broken, some of the bone stuck out in areas; her body was mangled from being hit with the bike; her ribs were most likely shattered, and they might be stabbing into her lungs; but the worst part was her face. Her expression was what got to Broderick.
It was as if fear had permanently frozen itself on Aubrey's face. Her mouth open as if she was gasping, and blood flowed out of it. Her teeth were knocked out or broken. Her jaw was definitely going to be broken. Her eyes were closed, but her eyebrows were high like a person that just got surprised. Her nose was broken too, and blood oozed from it.
There's so much blood... Broderick thought.
"Call the ambulance!" Travis shouted at Broderick, knocking him out of his trance-like state.
As Broderick talked to the 911 operator he watched Chase and Travis try to help Aubrey. He couldn't even think straight anymore. He kept mixing up his sentences as he spoke. But the operator figured out what he was saying and offered small words of comfort.
Aubrey made a frightening noise. It was a sick groan of pain and suffering. Broderick was given sudden hope though. If Aubrey could still make noises, she might not be too bad! Well, she's still in a horrible condition but she's not paralyzed.
The ambulance came and took her away. Chase, Travis, and Broderick had to drive to the hospital in the F-350.
~~~~~~
beep. beep. beep. beep.
Aubrey's eyes slowly fluttered open. She was confused and dazed. Every inch of her body hurt like hell. Moving was definitely out of the question, so she just shut her eyes again and tried to sleep.
The door opens and she can hear foot steps. She doesn't open her eyes, it's probably just a doctor.
But Broderick speaks. "Aubrey, the doctors say you should be okay. You won't ever ride again, because your legs are ruined, but you'll be alive. That's good, right?"
Aubrey tries not to cry. Motocross was her life and now it's ruined because of... Because of what? Aubrey couldn't even remember why she was in the hospital or why she was in this much pain.
Broderick continues. "Well, you being alive is good for me. I don't know what I would do if you died. I... Aubrey... I think I love you."
Aubrey tries to speak. She wants so badly to tell Broderick that she loves him too, but her jaw doesn't move and the words don't come out right. Her jaw is wired shut.
"Are you trying to talk?" Broderick asks.
Aubrey nods a little. It hurts her neck a lot, but it doesn't matter that much to her.
"What are you trying to say?" Broderick knows it's stupid to try to talk to her, she can't say a word to him.
Aubrey searches through her memory, trying to think of a way to tell Broderick how much he means to her. Then she remembers.
Sign language!
Aubrey slowly and painfully fold her fingers to form the sign language for "I love you' .
She opens her eyes to look at Broderick. He has tears in his eyes.
"I wish I could hug you." He sniffles. Aubrey smiles and for a moment, all of her pain is replaced with joy. "When you recover, I'm going to take you to where ever you want to go." Aubrey smiles even more.


© 2011 Becky Lawrence


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on February 3, 2011
Last Updated on February 3, 2011


Author

Becky Lawrence
Becky Lawrence

About
I've been writing since seventh grade. It started as a hobby and became an addiction. I have become an insomniac because of the thoughts and ideas going on in my head. I will read most read request.. more..

Writing