You Drink Tea, You Must be British!

You Drink Tea, You Must be British!

A Chapter by Becky Lawrence
"

Idiots and the lame school I'm stuck in... Hold on while I smash my face into my keyboard to get the frustration out....not literally...

"
I live in a tiny town, and no one really leaves this place. The only people that leave are the ones who moved here in their teen years and know to get out as fast as they can. Almost every one here has a bigoted, and often very wrong, view on the world. That's a quick summary of this town to make this town's sucky-ness known before I go on.
So, I walk into class today with my travel mug in hand and this stupid kid asks if I'm drinking coffee. When I say no, he answers with "You drink tea a lot... You must be British!" He didn't understand why I angrily left. It's not that I have an issue with people that live in/are from Great Britain. The people I have an issue with are the ones that know NOTHING about the outside world and make dumb comments like that kid did.
This isn't the first time I've experienced the severe stupidity of this town.
A few weeks ago someone told me that they didn't believe that a girl is Irish. Why? Because she doesn't have red hair. I didn't say anything to this person, I just put my head on the desk and wished I could live somewhere else.
I've also had a teacher call the United Kingdom "Britlandia". My friend turned to me and said "Oh. My. God. This town has hit a new low..."
I also can't stand that just by going to this school my chances of getting into a good college are reduced. The high school I'm in has the worst standardized testing grades of the entire county. Yet, all the students are on honor roll. So, the teachers aren't teaching us what we need to know. Great. They're lucky that I want a career in sound engineering, because if I wanted to get into Yale or something like that it wouldn't happen and I'd have to whup some a*s.
Some of the kids that moved here recently joke with each other. "_______, Where you can be a failure, and still win." Everything that this school is = absolute garbage. The only real academic extracurricular we have is Science Club... We have stuff like math teams and that, but they never go to competitions because they aren't smart enough. Gym and sports is all this school cares about. When people talk about all the things the schools have to offer they usually talk about sports. We've practically got it all! Football, wrestling, volleyball, track and field, softball, baseball, soccer, rugby (even though no one here knows what it is), yoga, pilatees, Zomba, Family Fitness Night, and a dance team that is really just glorified cheerleaders (AKA w****s with pompoms!)
Wow! I feel so privileged to go to this school! What would I do with my future if I didn't go here?
I'd probably be a successful person with a high paying job, that's what my future would look like without this stupid school.


© 2011 Becky Lawrence


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Welcome to almost all small towns in America. The best I can do (being from a small town myself, and sometimes confronted with idiots, I have created methods...) is try not to be too cynical/laugh and point/be a smartass. When you -do- find people you connect with, cherish that.
Also, no matter where you come from, tea is delicious.
Good luck. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 3, 2011
Last Updated on February 3, 2011


Author

Becky Lawrence
Becky Lawrence

About
I've been writing since seventh grade. It started as a hobby and became an addiction. I have become an insomniac because of the thoughts and ideas going on in my head. I will read most read request.. more..

Writing