Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by CalvinnTay

"I'm Mr. Lim's 2 o'clock."


"He'd been expecting you. I'll tell him that you're here," said Jenna.


I took a sit in the waiting room, I tried to compose myself. I knew what I wanted to ask. I had to use his help, even though I hated him, but deep down I wished that things could have turned out differently. However, the problem at hand is far more important than anything else. I will not be denied of what I want!


"Mr. Lim will see you now," as she asked to follow her. "In here."


I pushed the door opened, an saw a large armchair. No one was on it. I looked around, he was sitting on the sofa near the coffee table. He stood up and said, "Welcome, would you like tea or coffee?"


It was him alright. My father - Kent Lim. "Warm water will do," I replied. "I won't be here long," I continued.


"Jenna could you get him a glass? And get me a cup of warm jasmine, please," he instructed. "Before we continue, I would like to say that if you ask stupid questions, you will get stupid answer. So be wise in asking."


He was as blunt as ever. I sat down and asked, "How do I sell more of my books?" He crossed his legs and replied, "Let more people know about it. Anything else?"


That was a stupid answer, which meant I asked a stupid question. "Ten minutes isn't a lot of time," he continued. "I'll help you start. Are you just interested to make money with your book?" he questioned further.


"Yes. Isn't that what you do? Your main goal in everything is always to make money. That's why you have so much of it, isn't it?" I defended. Jenna came in with our drinks. He took a sip of his tea and replied, "No. My main goal never has been and never will to make money. That's my second goal."


"Then why don't you just tell me what's your main goal!?" I demanded. I feel that this conversation was going nowhere. I was losing my cool, but he kept composure. "My goal is and always will be doing something I believe is right."


I was confused. He noticed it and continued, "A great teacher shows you where to look, but not what to look for." I was pissed. He didn't make any sense. "Speak in a language I can understand, old man! Just tell me what I need to do to get more people to buy my book and I'm out of here!" I raged.


He saw my impatience. I saw a glimmer of hope lost in his eyes. He answered, "Write whatever you want and let everyone know about it. You have the internet don't you? Let everyone know until you sold enough books to please yourself. Now, get out."


I stood up and left. That was a waste of my time. I didn't care how great he was, I didn't get any information I needed. I'll do this my own way.



© 2015 CalvinnTay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice chapter, great description on how much he hated his father! Keep writing! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on June 28, 2015
Tags: young, writer, dream, success


Author

CalvinnTay
CalvinnTay

Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia



About
Follow me on twitter: @calvinntay I write about the thoughts and life of Gen-Y in a South-East Asia setting more..

Writing