Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by CalvinnTay

My real lesson was about to begin. I needed to change. I tried to listen and catch every word that my father said, but it was difficult. So I noted down some of his points on my iPhone. He was very generous and sincere in his delivery. I didn't know my dad was like that. I completely changed my view of him, he wasn't as bad as I thought him to be. 

After he saw that I was opened, he stated, "For things to change, you have to change. Every result that you are experiencing in your life is the result of your actions." I understood his statement, but he was not done, he continued, "First you must change your target, Zedd. Don't just write to make money, but, become a writer that adds value in the lives of others." 

"I always wanted to become a writer, I felt that books were the only way for me to get closer to you, since you were always in your library..." He stopped me and said, "What could you write that would add value into the lives of other? What information could you offer?" 

I pondered. I was only good at writing stories and poems, I didn't know anything else I could have done but those. "Stories and poems. I could write those," I replied. 

"But about what? What do you believe in that's worth writing?" he questioned further. 

He gave me some hard questions to answer, but I'm grateful. These are the questions I needed to answer to improve. "I believe that young people are more capable than they know."

"Then do you wish to inspire them with words?" 

"Yes, I do. But I don't know where to start."

"Whatever your hands can do, do it. But your lesson is not over. Now you need proper motivation for your cause. Are you willing to endure the struggles ahead?" 

Just as Jessica said, he really did loved me. He was kind enough to warn me of the struggles I'll be facing. "Yes. I am. What must I do?"

"I will only give you advice, son. You need to write and let others know of your work by your own, but, on the condition that you move out of the house and live on your own for the next 6 months."

That had gotten my attention, his proposal was unique. I didn't know what answer to give him. I just had questions. So I asked, "What about school?"

"You'll attend and perform as usual, you'll be given RM 12,000 in advance for the next 6 months, you'll just be living on your own, and you're welcome to quit anytime you want. Do we have a deal?" 

He grinned as if taunting me into accepting his terms. 

I was rather quick to agree. Maybe I was being to rash, but I had a good feeling, and I went with my gut. The instructions were simple. I was to write and let everyone know about me work. The rest would take care of themselves, a bit hard to believe though. 

"Yes. We do," I extended my arm to him for a handshake. We shook a strong, firm handshake. 

"I hope to read one of your books and to have them on my shelves soon," It was the first time that I saw him like this. It was comfortable to be with him. I couldn't resist my emotions and broke down in front of him. 

We embraced and I said, "Thank you, dad." 



© 2015 CalvinnTay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on June 28, 2015
Tags: young, writer, dream, success


Author

CalvinnTay
CalvinnTay

Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia



About
Follow me on twitter: @calvinntay I write about the thoughts and life of Gen-Y in a South-East Asia setting more..

Writing