Part 1

Part 1

A Chapter by Carrie Manor
"

Excerpt: The year is 2502. Several hundred years ago there was a series of climatic catastrophes..There were some of us that turned strictly to technology and the others, we live a world free from it.

"

Part I. 


The sky was marred a melancholy grey. Streaks of orange and red painted the sky as the sun hastily departed from the encroaching night. The wind was blowing bitterly, gnawing at anything in way of its path. High on a cliffs edge stood a man. He was entranced in a deep thought. His gaze unwavering from the clashing currents below. Large, furling waves racked themselves against the carven cliff. Spitting spitefully, water was sent high enough to spray onto this man’s clothes, but he failed to notice it. 

The man was a little past middle aged, though still incredibly handsome. His hair was a dark black and grew into two long side burns on either side of his face. His nose was thin and aquiline. He was pale, his lips a light pink and kept tightly pursed. The only true bit of color in his features were his eyes. Two bright blue orbs staring unwavering far below into the clashing currents. The wind was trying to carry his hair, yet failed wretchedly. He was wearing a black jacket with a pair of pin stripped pants. Over top he was wearing an old beige apron. The collar of his shirt was turned outwardly, the wind seized onto it, held it at bay and conceited to tear it’s cold teeth into his flesh in that manner. 

The scent of the sea air carried heavy by the winds. The man licked his lips slowly awaking from his reverie. 

I sat in the parlor that night, tired, scarcely glancing over my manuscripts. The flicker of a candle my only good source of light. In my sleepy state, I found it difficult to concentrate, yet found some relief gazing out the window. The man standing on the cliff, was none other then my mentor; Doctor Vaughn Fraunbach. I came under his internship several years ago. I was always in awe of him, yet I never knew as to a reason why. He was a man of little words, but far from humble. He spent most all his time cooped up in the laboratory with all his machines, working and working, only emerging when on the verge of a new discovery. He was a hero then, a marvel to me. The two of us, embarked upon one of the greatest discoveries of our age.

I retired my scripts to the shelf, and sat at my desk retrieving my quill. The world in which I live is a very difficult one to explain. The year is 2502. Several hundred years ago there was a series of climatic catastrophes that forever changed the course of our planet. There were some of us that turned strictly to technology, and the others, we live a world free from it. We have returned to an almost Victorian way of life, can you picture it? Now, literally the world is split in half. The doctor and I live in the half of the rustics. Our people have all advanced technology at the tips of our fingers like the other half, yet we do not rely on it for our day to day lives. It is reserved for schools, doctors and scientists. 

The people on the other half of the world, they have branded us as the “rustics”, many have begun to regard our way of life as uncivil. They, I laugh at them. There population is out of control. There are so many people, so many to house all nature on their half of the planet has been destroyed. They do not eat, like we still do, for there isn’t enough room to grow anything. They receive synthetic fat and vitamin injections everyday to sustain them .Everything they do, all their hobbies, occupations is a farce. It has succumbed to that because there simply is not enough room for them anymore. And, they have been raised, so they know no better. They mock us, yet they have never seen the green grass, or heard the whisper of the trees. They never have heard the call of birds, real birds not mechanical ones. Never felt their feet sink into sand, nor the waves lapping against rocks, they have never tasted the salty air on their tongues, then again. They never had tasted anything. Their government has begged land from us, yet our people have always refused it. We just as easily could deface their population as they could ours. 



© 2013 Carrie Manor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on April 17, 2013
Last Updated on April 17, 2013


Author

Carrie Manor
Carrie Manor

About
Bonjour! My name is Carrie Manor. Believe it or not but I’m eighteen years old. I’m not to particular fond of computers or the internet, but I enjoy this opportunity to share my writing a.. more..

Writing