Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Caspar Askew

They awoke and did the same they did yesterday, and walked through the same fields they did yesterday, and may as well have been walking in circles with the scenery, but strangely, James didn’t seem to care he loved walking quietly through the countryside with Michael, listening to the plodding of their feet upon the ground. The peacefulness he felt here, it was true his feet and ribs were aching, and he had a headache, forcing them to stop every 10 or 15 minutes but James had never felt so at ease in his life.

It reminded him of a story his mother told him when he was little. It went like this. A wealthy man was living a bustling life in the city, where everyday was busy and he never had a break. But the man lost all his money and had to move to the countryside. There, there were no fancy restaurants or parties to attend, or major clothes shops for gifts, just fields, but the man was happy just sitting on his porch and watching the sunset everyday, even though everyday was like this, and it wasn’t thrilling he had something he never had in the city, where people had told him he would find his dream, true happiness. His mother always told him that this story should remind James to appreciate the ‘little things’ and how they could ‘be our hidden love’ and then tried to tell him ‘God loves all, and he will give you beauty on this earth if you just look for it’. It was weird that James thought of his mother at a time like this, but the story was oddly close to James’ situation, and he too was finding true happiness in the ‘little things’, and he locked his hands around Michael’s.  “Michael.” James broke the silence.

“Yeah.” Replied Michael, basking in the glorious sunlight, warming his whole body to the core, and especially make his legs feel like they were just entering a warm shower in the depths of winter.

“Why did you ever like me? I mean I was a bit of a prat back in school. Didn’t that scare you off. And even I hated myself and thought I was a prat?” James said. He had asked Michael this before, but never admitted his self-hatred.

“I’m going to tell you what I always tell you. You’re incredible, from you’re perseverance, to your kindness, to your cuteness, to your funniness, to your care for me. You shouldn’t hate yourself and the people that do hate you are only people who are too blind to see what kind of person you really are.” Michael poured the truth out. “And you seem to be the only person in the world who cares about who I really am. So of course I love you. And I apologise if I ever hurt you in emotionally or physically, or made you feel like you were weird, before I realised that.”

“Thanks. It means, a lot.” And James snuggled up next to Michael’s shoulder and placed his hand gently on his warm leg, like Michael did in reticence, as they watched the clouds, dance in the sky. And they sat their until it was time to walk.

They walked through a small village on their way, it had a pub, and that was about it, just some houses. An old man approached them. “Hello.” He exclaimed, in a friendly voice with a big smile. “Not often we see newcomers coming through here.”

“We’re just hiking.” Said Michael, anxious to get going.

“I remember when I was a lad, your age. And I was walking through here, in 1955, and I met an old man, who had fallen over here. And I helped him up, later that day he saw me again and invited me into the pub it turned out that man was a retired army general who worked with Churchill during the war, and he invited to an event happening in the area, and I met his son.” He explained, in a mix between a posh and Brummie accent.

“Right. We got to go.” Spoke Michael, tugging James’ hand.

“Let the man finish his story.” Replied James, rather interested.

The old man went on. “There, I met his grandson, who was my age. And we were best friends ever since. And after 1967, that man became my boyfriend, and we were together for over 55 years. And you.” He pointed to James. “You remind me of myself when I was younger, except after I met my boyfriend �" Jack. Forgive me for asking, but are you two together?”

“Yes, we are.” Responded James promptly, it was rare you saw gay men of this age, so both became more interested in this gentleman.

“Love is a wonderful thing. Jack really made me come out of my shell, it was not easy at all being a gay man in the 50’s and even all of the 1900’s. But he really made me comfortable, I know it’s not easy today but I’m glad to see how much more comfortable gay men are now in our society. I would never have been able to hold hands with Jack back in the day.” And he smiled. James and Michael just realised they were holding hands themselves, it was out of instinct, which made them smile too.

“I’m James by the way.” James decided to keep the conversation flowing. “And this is Michael.”

“I’m Andrew.” The old man shook both of their hands. “Do you boys live far. You don’t look in the best shape.”

“In truth we’ve run away from home.” Exclaimed James, glancing at Michael who nodded him to tell. “Our parents didn’t accept us when we came out. So, we decided to run away. We’re heading to Birmingham, to see if we can build our own lives. We got injured cause we got attacked by some guys a few days ago”

“I understand.” Andrew sighed. “Jack’s parents were very accepting, but mine were not happy. I’d have run away if Jack’s family didn’t look after me. I understand the feeling when even your parents hate you, just because of who you are. Say do you want to come to my cottage for some tea, and you can stay longer if you like.”

“If that’s ok with you, we’d love that.” Replied Michael, with James nodding.

“I’m happy for you to come. Ever since Jack died, I’ve been very lonely.” He said, with a happy tone, slightly shadowed in melancholy.

“We’re sorry to hear about your loss.” James bowed his head slightly in a strange form of condolences, Michael followed.

“Thank you, but don’t worry. I’m thankful to have spent so much time with him as I did.” He smiled. “Well shall we. My cottage is just round the corner.” James and Michael followed along the road, with their hands clasping one another.



© 2023 Caspar Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on June 20, 2023
Last Updated on June 20, 2023
Tags: romance, teen, LGBT


Author

Caspar Askew
Caspar Askew

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm Caspar. I'm pretty young and I write to create fantasies of myself. I try to make all my main characters have a part of me in them. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Caspar Askew


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Caspar Askew