Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by Caspar Askew

They went to university every day. Michael took a bus and James drove every morning. At university they began to change they became more confident and made friends, friends who were similar to them, their first gay friends, and Sara would often tag along. But through all the bustle of university, they never grew apart, they shared the bed every night. They still would go out to the city on their own.

University was different to school. They enjoyed the sense of freedom in their lives, but the work was harder. Sometimes they would have to stay up late to revise, whilst the other one slept. They seemed to pass their first two years well, and, except for the inevitable occasional mistake, all was well. The third year was tough, they stopped meeting up with friends as much and had to focus on school more, but they always found time for each other.

They both got the best grades every time. And graduated top of both of their class. James found it funny that he had been told relationships made school harder, when all of his single friends were doing so much worse than him, and realised trying to get into a relationship is the actual problem.

They both got jobs as soon as they graduated. Michael got a job in PR of a bank, and James became a teacher at one of the best schools in the city. They both worked together in the city, and most days Michael would walk to James’s school and they would get a bus home together, unless Michael was going to the gym. Every Sunday Michael played football for a local team, and every Sunday James would watch Michael play. James was surprised that very few people ever were homophobic towards him in football, but they had little reason to get mad at the best player in the team.

Half a year after starting to work, they moved into an apartment. It was only a twenty minute walk from the house, so they would go most weeks to say hello, and volunteer at the shelter, as well as going out for dinner on occasions.

Janet and Josh both aged and passed away. At Janet’s funeral Michael was asked, to say a few words. He walked up to the stand and spoke. “About ten years ago, Josh showed me into Janet’s office, messy in places, but comfy. It was her kindness of letting us stay there and further fostering us, that shaped me into who I am today. But even more than that she kept me alive, she kept the man I love alive. Together with Josh, it was them who got us through a point where we felt alone, through the care she demonstrated throughout her life. And I look out at everybody here today, who all knew Janet longer than me, but I feel like she changed my life for the better. And even though I use the term good or bad person, because goodness is subjective, I can stand up here and say now with confidence that Janet was always a good person to us.” He sat down, and noticed tears in everyone’s eyes, especially James, and he hugged James, to assure him all was well.

One day James and Michael went on a trip. To remember their original journey. They visited Andrew’s village, his home was being lived in by an elderly women now, so they visited the graveyard, where Jack rest, and beside him was Andrew, on his headstone, were the words ‘I had a nice time. But I want to see the man I love again.’ James trimmed the rosebush on Jack’s grave before leaving.

Then they visited the place where they got attacked, and then where they grew up. Their school, the park, the houses, and their spot. It was unchanged, some of their best memories were here, it held an irreplaceable place in James’s heart. On the tree stump there was still the heart, with M+J inscribed in the middle of it, from their first weeks together. Their relationship had matured, but only improved since then, if that James saw this James he wouldn’t believe what he saw. James turned around from reading the stump, Michael was on one knee, clutching a box with a sparkling ring in his hand. His smile and eyes painted a thousand pictures of hope and joy. “James Brownhill. I love you so much, and never want to stop loving you. Will you marry me?” He asked, gazing up at James.

James thought something like this would happen and was not sure if he should have proposed himself. But those thoughts weren’t in his mind, just excitement and joy, forming small wells of tears in his eyes. He nodded. “Yes. A thousand times yes.” And he began to weep in joy as Michael slid the ring onto his finger.

James planned most of the wedding, he decided to keep everything quite casual and low-key, he maid Sara the maid of honour, and together they chose a beautiful venue, the clothes, and everything in between.

When the day came, James put on his suit, and they decided to walk down the aisle together as one, because that’s what marriage is about. Being one.

After Michael’s poetic vows, James would speak. “Michael, do you remember when you first said, ‘I love you.’ I had just tried to come out to my parents, but I couldn’t. We met up in our spot and I fell into your arms and cried, you held me and whispered some words into my ear, ‘Don’t worry James, because I’m always here, no matter what happens, because that’s what people who love each other do. And I love you James.’ I looked up at you, and whispered ‘I love you too.’ I stopped crying. From that moment I knew you were the person I wanted to spend my life with, no matter what happened, and we proved that we would stay together through anything. You are the man who rescued me in the saddest and darkest point of my life, so of course I promise to keep loving you. I love you Michael.” And they kissed. They could feel each other tears on their cheeks.

They were married, and the two moved to London, as they entered their thirties, they knew it would mean having to leave a lot behind, but they wanted a challenge, and they made new friends, but kept some old ones. Sara had moved to London a while ago, and they met often.

They grew old together. They retired, form their careers. Their careers weren’t spectacular or unique, but they loved them, they loved being people. They spent their day sitting around the fire, and lazy walks through the countryside. And they died together, peacefully, with no regrets.



© 2023 Caspar Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on August 13, 2023
Last Updated on August 13, 2023
Tags: teen, romance, LGBT


Author

Caspar Askew
Caspar Askew

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm Caspar. I'm pretty young and I write to create fantasies of myself. I try to make all my main characters have a part of me in them. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Caspar Askew


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Caspar Askew