Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Caspar Askew

James opened his groggy eyes, which were shocked by the light the tent let in, making him squint a bit. A layer of water had formed at the top of the tent, but the air was warm. It was seven-fifteen in the morning, which had become an ordinary wake up time, but James was still tired.

He looked over at Michael, who just seemed to be waking up as well, and was facing him. “Hi beautiful.” Said James.

Michael was glad to be staring at James’s face when he woke up, but he was a bit surprised. He slowly replied. “Huh? Oh, uh, morning James?”

James moved over towards Michael and looked at him. Michael yawned and James laughed a little. He placed his hands on Michael’s arm, and stroked it, his skin was warm, and James moved so close that their noses were almost touching. “Why are you only in a T-shirt?” He asked. “Aren’t you’re arms cold?”

“I got hot in the night.” Responded James.

“Well, I’d love to stay lying next to you like this all day, but we’ve got places to be.” And James rose, pecking Michael on the cheek.

“What’s that?” Asked Michael.

“What.” Replied a confused James, who still was smiling.

“That kiss.” Said Michael. “It was pathetic. Give me a proper kiss.”

“Why?” Giggled James.

“Because … I can’t walk if you haven’t given me a proper kiss to start my morning. You know like how people have a coffee in the morning.” He exclaimed.

“If I must.” Replied a very happy James. And he began kissing James passionately. They stayed lying there for an entire ten minutes, then they got up.

They rolled up the tent quickly and got on their way. They weren’t going to stay anywhere for a long time. They had begun to realise more houses popping up, the roads getting busier and more frequent, and the rural fields beginning to turn urban. They were nearing their goal. It had only been six days since they ran away, but to James it could only have been one. That first night they slept in their spot, James thought how much he’d hate the journey to come, however, the days went quickly. Things had happened, so in that way it could have been a year, but everything felt like it was being fast-forwarded. With Michael, walking with Michael, getting beaten up, meeting Andrew, it all went by so quickly, and he realised he would miss this, but every day of his future could be like this, one long adventure with Michael, where they grow old together.

“I was up a few nights ago, and I thought about something. I just thought about it again now” Michael said, as they walked.

“What was it?” Asked James.

Michael’s rhythmic steps began to slow. “You once told me that you used to only do everything, not because it made you feel anything, but so it would distract you from having to be alone with your thoughts.”

“I remember.” James recollected. “What about it?”

“I think I finally understand what you mean. And I think a lot of people feel the same, I know I have before.” Michael exclaimed. “And I think everybody’s goal in life is to actually have those emotions, and not just use experiences as a way from running away from themselves, no matter how they complete it.”

“I think you just explained the phrase ‘live in the moment’.” Smiled James. “And as someone who’s done both. Living in the moment is far better than worrying. If nothing really matters, then nothing needs to be worried about, and you should just do whatever makes you happy. That’s how I want to live.”

“Same here. That’s why I’m glad I met you, James.” He smiled, and James blushed a little.

They walked over a hill and got their first sighting of the suburbs. In truth they weren’t beautiful at all. A repetitive array of dull coloured British housing, the kind that would probably have been popular in themed twentieth century. And grey roads snuck narrowly between them, stretching, and stretching. But just in the distance, they saw the high-rise buildings of the city, a sign of liveliness and excitement, that wasn’t as present back home. It must be said they were unusually excited for people who were going into Birmingham.

They walked down the hill, and they began to smell the cars and hear the engines more clearly. “What’s the plan?” Asked Michael.

“There’s a homeless shelter for children on this side of the city. Only three hours to get there.” James began. “The plan is to get there, and just tell them our story.”

“Are you sure that this will work? What if they separate us?” Worried Michael.

“They’re specialists Michael, don’t worry.” James said, in a soothing voice.

“You’ve really though this through haven’t you.” Exclaimed Michael, feeling a bit guilty that he hadn’t done any planning.

“Not really. Just checked my phone and stole some of my dad’s maps.” Laughed James.

“Thanks for doing all of this.” Said Michael. “I feel bad I didn’t do anything but go home and cry.”

“Don’t worry Michael. I would do anything for us. For this.” Replied James, with a subtle smile.

“That’s so sweet. I would too.” Responded Michael. “I just want to give you a hug right now.” But before Michael could move towards James, James wrapped his arms around him.



© 2023 Caspar Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on July 27, 2023
Last Updated on July 27, 2023
Tags: teen, romance, LGBT


Author

Caspar Askew
Caspar Askew

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm Caspar. I'm pretty young and I write to create fantasies of myself. I try to make all my main characters have a part of me in them. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Caspar Askew


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Caspar Askew