The Truth of It

The Truth of It

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

still building on this one

"

-Sara Michaels--


I leaned into the hug, safe and warm, and never wanted to move.

 

--Thad Powers--


I gently tightened my hold and hoped it could last forever.

 


 

--The Truth of It--


Sara used her hand to push back, making a space between them. Afraid she would sigh, she held her breath as they returned to the chairs in silence. Thad waited for her to begin.


"It's like this, last December, I came home from a seminar that wrapped around a weekend. When I got home that Sunday afternoon, Vince was gone. He didn't even leave me a note. He packed some of his things and left his wedding band by the front door."


"Man, that's harsh." 


Sara took a drink, then she picked up the coaster and began fiddling with it.  



"That's not the half of it. He was a probate attorney, and I think he ran off with a client. I am fairly sure the woman is Stephanie Dandridge. She was fighting her Stepmom for a bigger cut of Thomas J. Hoyt's Estate, both women seem to be the worst kind of people."


"Now that's some serious money. I didn't know he had kids?"


"No, he didn't have any. Stephanie was his stepdaughter. Anyway, his client's mother a forty-four-year old personal trainer finally landed the old tycoon. She should have outlived him by decades, but before their one-year anniversary, she died in a car wreck. I guess the stepdad felt bad for Stephanie, so he bought her a BMW and paid for her college education."


"I could use a stepdad like that." 


"So true. Personally, I think the college education was a -soft boot- for her to take a hike and get out of his hair, but then again, why would she want to? After graduation, she returned home to find her stepdad had remarried."


"That's crazy."


 "I know, and the new woman is barely older than the stepdaughter. A trophy wife of twenty-seven." 


"Of course, she is. Just what every sixty-plus-year-old man needs."


"Anyway, the old man died, leaving everything to the new wife, ergo- a catfight began. Vince settled the dispute out of court with just correspondence between himself and the Stepmom's attorney. He got her a small trust fund of 100,000 and an inheritance clause to the Estate. At first, Stephanie was livid that he settled for so little. The next thing I know, his client and Vince are gone." 


Her cheeks burned with emotion. "Vince and I had been married seven years without one fight between us. I had no idea he was unhappy."


"You must have been devastated?" He watched her every move. She began looking down at her hands that were now folded in her lap. All the flush had drained from her face. Making her look much younger.


"I'm still hanging on by a thread. It's been a real roller coaster ride."


"I see how all that fits together, but you told me you were widowed?"


Sara grimaced, then continued, "last year, the week before Christmas, is when he left me."


There was a long pause while he gave her a moment to collect her emotions. Their eyes locked on each other. Thad nodded to her, and she continued with her story. 


"November the 3rd, I got an overseas telegram. It stated there was an accident, and Vince died in a car wreck. I started making phone calls. The police and SOS with the Embassy denied sending the telegram, plus there was no report of a wreck in the area. Since that telegram was issued, there has been no electronic signature of him using his ID." She said.


She walked over to the window. It was quite late now with no one on the roadway. Filling her lungs with determination, she kept talking. "Then last week the Embassy called me. They removed a submerged car from Sceaux Lake, located just outside of Parris. The registration papers stated the owner to be the Hoyt Foundation. It had a woman's body in it and Vince's wallet. So, it seems Vince and that awful woman are dead." 


"That's not right," Thad said, setting up straight. "I wonder who sent that first telegram to you? I don't know what to say, except someone knew about the wreck before the car was found. What are you going to do?"


"I'm flying out Monday to do a little snooping around of my own."


"Unbelievable," Thad walked over to her and took her hand. "Do you want to hear something even crazier than what you just told me?"


"Yes, I would. Lay it on me." She said.


"I want to go with you."


She smiled as he wiped away her tear, "Ya know, that is crazy, and I think I'd like that."



© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing, Cherrie... I have never been hooked on Novels... too much Drama in my own life. You definitely had my Emotions in turmoil. Congratulations on being so gifted. truly, Pat

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


i am a little slow on the uptake on many things ..so ..Stephanie is the daughter of T. Hoyt ..her mother was 17 years younger than T. H. ... so her remarried and Stephanie is battling the stepmom for money. Vince is representing her ... so who is her step dad that gave her the BMW and college education? .. also .. i know this is a rough draft but i had to chuckle over the "atrophy wife" :)))))))))))))))))))))))) what a difference a small space can make eh!? ;) now we have a posibble murder .. but Vince's body has not been found .. I am on it .. nothing like a "what happened" and "who dunnit" ???????????
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

got it ... my fog has lifted ;)))))))))))))))
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

It was to much information for one sitting. I'm glad you pointed it out. I think I smoothed it out a.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

re-read it ... much better for me anyway. ;)easier to follow.

Is it just me or did anyone else hear dramatic music with a voice over saying "What mystery will she find? Who really sent the first telegram?... Tune in next week to find out!"
Can see this building into a relatable tale of deceit and the power the lure of money has over us, as well as the innocent victims left in its wake, trying to figure out why their world just caved in and knowing answers will only come if she grabs a shovel and digs for it herself.
Looking forward to the next instalment.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I'm going to try my hand at cooking the whole enchilada.
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Ya know I wish real life came with theme music. It would be very helpful.
Lorry

3 Years Ago

Yes, especially the creepy music to show you're walking into danger 🎶 👀 🎶
A very good tale you are weaving dear Cherrie. I liked how you set-up the story. Giving life and purpose to each one. I look forward to reading more. Hello dear friend. I hope you are doing well. Staying safe and sound.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Thank you:) I thought it would be effective to start each chapter with internal dialogue. Giving a.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

We are all safe and sound over here. :) I hope you are also.
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

You are doing well with the story dear Cherrie. I am being safe and keeping busy.
Definitely has good bones. I like the chemistry developing between the two characters. I think you're gonna need a trip to Paris yourself to gather reference material for the story... just sayin'.... send me a postcard.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I have been to Paris several times. Parris Tx. that is, not the same I'm thinking.
roarke

3 Years Ago

heh, you never know. I'll bet they don't do barbecue in France or have chili contests... so the city.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

what, no bar-b-q that's it not going, and I must admit I have been in a few chili contests myself.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2020
Last Updated on June 24, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..