Marching Orders

Marching Orders

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

just the into

"

 


--Sara Michaels--                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I have never been so glad I rented a small two-bedroom flat for this trip. I worked so hard trying to find a smaller place. Funny how that worked out. Now that I have a partner in crime, this place is perfect. I watched him as we arrived at the address scribbled down. Quickly he googled it and saved the area map to his phone. He made entry to the apartment in such a way, I almost expected him to pull a sidearm and yell 'clear' as he exited each area. 


Once I unlocked the apartment door, delight greeted me. What a cute place designed for comfort. Travelers on vacation must find this place a simple little haven in dark blue decorum. It had a small kitchenette and sitting area. The far wall had three doors, two bedrooms straddling a Jack-n-Jill bath. Thad entered the far bedroom door. Mechanical well-rehearsed movements drove him through the apartment. Watching him move felt like a clip from an action-adventure. He popped his head out of the middle door, scanned a quick 360, then closed it. A couple of seconds later, he exited the front bedroom. In my mind, I yelled, 'clear,' and giggled.


"This will be your room," he barked.


A smile spread across my face, then I draw my lips in, trying to repress my amusement. He smiled back in such a way I took a stepped closer. 


--Thad Powers--


I pushed my hat back and could only smile when I saw how she studied me. "I mean if you don't mind? This is a safer room. It has a lock and no outside window." My heart began racing when she took that simple little step toward me. I found my own feet closing the gap. 


--the kiss--


"Ex-military or police?"


"75th Ranger Regiment," He said.


"Of course, you were. You are a man of mystery, aren't you?"


"No ma'am, no mystery to me at all. Just a cowboy, on a mission, to save the day, and maybe the girl."


"You know, Thad, we have a couple of places we need to go today. Maybe we could clear the air and talk about that kiss I can't stop thinking about."


"Which kiss," he asks, eyes burning brightly.


"There has only been one kiss, silly." 


"Says who," Pulling her into his arms, hand running into her hair, and she leans into his embrace. Falling, falling fast. 


They both jump as her cell phone rings from her back pocket. He glides his free hand down to the phone, pulling it free. Then, hands it to her. The clinic he notes as he recoils to the door jam and waits for marching orders.


"Hello."


"Yes, this is Mrs. Michaels."

...


"I know all about privacy laws."

...


"I only need a copy for our taxes."

...


"Yes ma'am, the account he paid you with is for medical bills only, and our accountant needs the invoice."

...


"Really, you mailed it already. Well, that is strange. We never got it can you confirm the address."

...


 

 

"That's correct. I guess we lost it. We received your email confirming payment; we just need the invoice sent to us as well."

...


 

 

"Thank you, that's perfect. You have been more help than you know."


 

 

--------- 

 

"So?" Thad asks.


 

 

"Oh, I have the address they sent the invoice to. He's been staying at The Heart Cottage, on the outskirts of the city."


 

 

"Did she say why he needed medical care?"


 

 

"No, but she sent a copy of the invoice to his email while we were talking." Just like clockwork, the email dinged. "Shall we?"


 

 

He had been diagnosed with head trauma and received 15 stitches to his left arm.


 

 

"Sounds like to me he ran into some trouble getting the car into the water?" Thad said.


 

 

"Yes, it does look that way. Can we run by the cottage and look around before we tell the police?"


 

 

"Might as well, let's hail a taxi."



© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good chapter shared dear Cherrie. A lot of things coming to the front. You have create great story line and great characters. I will keep reading the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


getting to some action now ... i find i keep thinking how exceptional these two are .. and what in their past lives (besides Thad's 75th service) has made them such go getters ... as Thad "clears" the rental .. i get a chuckle that Sara yells it out ... i wanted to do the same :)))))))))) the plot is definitely picking up the pace
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

:) I had to put that in my family is salted with military and peppered with police. The mindset of .. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

a good thing for all says i!
Zipping along nicely. Just there a d next crumb falls into place. Methinks they're gonna be plenty busy on this trip, but not too busy that they can't eat, surely. Just prepare them for French food. If it says beef in red wine, it is just that, meat that was briefly introduced to a flame, with red wine poured over it! Not that I'm bitter, well... And people think Scots food is weird 🤔

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

The food of the Scott's, yes, maybe a bit too colorful, but, yes, I will let them dine (eventually.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 21, 2020
Last Updated on June 24, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing