The Crime Scene

The Crime Scene

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

-Sarah Michaels-

I take hold of the ‘Le Parisien’ feeling the faint trickle of weight shift inside the makeshift parcel. Energy and heat sweep over my body as I fight the urge to open the newspaper, hoping for a more private moment to do so. Then the notion strikes me, what if this was not Vince’s paper? What if the killer left it behind? This notion invades my imagination erupting in a low burn in the pit of my stomach. 


-Thad Powers-

A looping mental reel plays moving between the side-table and the tumbler loaded with water spots making me restless. I know good-and-well I will not be satisfied until I speak to the Lieutenant. So, I take a moment to let Sarah know I am running inside the cottage. Her response is exactly how I imagined it, soft and sweet. Without another word, I head for the door. 


-Lieutenant Alain Sy-

I work my way around the chair, like the face on a clock examining each section of the living space. I take in the surroundings, then jot down a side note.  I study the layout once more. I stop at the window as I see the American rushing toward the front door. The slogan ‘be all you can be’ floods my mind, and I snarl.  “Great,” I say. His long strides ooze with intent. His approach annoys me. I know my diplomacy skills will be taxed. Quickly, I roll my eyes to get it out of my system. Turning to face the door, I filter my expressions as the cowboy clears the threshold to face me. 


“Lieutenant, can I have a moment of your time?”


 “Yes, Sir,” Alain says, glancing down at his notes. “Mr. Powers, how can I help you?”


“I hate to stick my nose into your investigation, but I wondered if you noticed the glasses in the kitchen? One of them seemed out of place.” 


“You mean like this one?” Alain answers, lifting a glass in an evidence bag. He eyed the man hard. “Law enforcement? You definitely have the look.”


“Military for the most part, but I worked as a deputy for a time. Until a family emergency made me rethink my life’s mission. Bad habit filtering life through the badge. I’m sorry for butting in. I just couldn’t get it out of my head till I spoke with you.”


“It’s alright, I get it. Now, how about me butting in. Tell me, are you and Sara an item?”


“Well, I’ll have to get back to you on that. Let’s just say I’m vested in her well-being and have high hopes.”


“Aw, I see.” Instead of the two men facing each other, they both looked out the window at her. She appeared to be restless, fiddling with that stupid paper and peering over her shoulder. 


“How about I take the two of you to your rental?”


“That sounds great, and much apricated. She looks beat.” Thad said. 


Sara draws in a deep breath, looks around one more time, and unfolds the paper, its secret item tumbling into her palm. She jerks to her feet as Thad and the Lieutenant walk to her. The small item glancing off her hand falling into the darkness.


“The Lieutenant has offered to give us a lift. Are you ready?”


“Yes,” She says, fumbling around, too embarrassed to search the ground with them watching her. She takes one step then lets the paper fall to the ground. Thad bends down to help, handing her the paper and palming a small key. 



© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow... the last line... somehow you seem to be a "Mystery" writer.
We have been watching Episodes of Hercules Poirot... and you describe people and
events so similar to the Pen of Agatha Christie. You have me on the edge of my Rocker.
truly, with admiration... Pat

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I love those: Hercules Poirot and Ms. Marple are my favorite. I only wish I had a thimble of Agatha.. read more
I came here after what you have written with Gene to see what I could see. and what I see does fascinate. first of all I cannot believe that I am the first to review what is experimental, abstract stroytelling of the first water. Using terms and tropes we are all familiar with but allowing us to look deeper. forensically perhaps. Interesting is a small word for what this is.
I know it is a chapter. But forgive me I have read it as a stand alone poem and I find that it works.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you Ken,
I am glad you stopped by Gene and I really enjoyed the poem we wrote, and I'm .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2021
Last Updated on June 24, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing