A Key at the Heart

A Key at the Heart

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

Sarah Michaels-


‘Stupid, stupid, stupid,’ repeated in my mind for dropping that key. Maybe I can think of a reason for us to swing by tomorrow and look for it, but for now, I am contented to wait here in the Lieutenant’s car. I huddled against the door and wished they would hurry. I helped myself to a small blanket he had rolled up in the corner and closed my eyes.


-Thad Powers-


I could not help but wonder about the key, and Sarah’s interaction with me over it. Why didn’t she ask me for it or at least look for it when I didn’t hand it to her? It’s not a latchkey, a security key of some kind, I think. An item I should give to the Lieutenant, but later. I removed my hand from my pocket, the key remained tucked away for further exam. The real question is about Sarah, had I miss judged her? Her actions puzzled me. She clearly dropped the paper to pick up the key.  I could not control the urge to shake my head, seemingly I answered my own question. I glanced her way to see her resting in the detective’s backseat; my stomach knotted up. I could feel my heart race as my doubts melted. This woman was turning into my whole world. Yes, I see it so clearly.


-Lieutenant Alain Sy-


“Love birds,” I mumbled as I watch him gaze with puppy-dog eyes at the sleeping beauty in my backseat. I will deliver the pair of them, then get down to business. I had facts to assimilate. I laughed to myself as I considered the fact that these two intended to sleuth about my city. There was no doubt about that. At first, the notion amused me, but before I realized it, my emotions pitched. Anger joined my thoughts, and I fought the need to snarl. Losing that fight, I motioned toward the car. The lines across my forehead deepened as the American smiled. Yes, I know he will be trouble. 



Shall We


“Shall we head that way?” the Lieutenant asked. Adding, “let us be frank with each other. You will find me most unpleasant if I find you have suppressed information. Remember, I am now working on a double murder investigation. I will not tolerate interference.” 


“Of course,” he said, then, opened the passenger door. The economy-sized car offered little headroom. So, he removed his hat and placed that Montana-howdy on his knee. His actions were confident and deliberate, the aura of a man on a mission. 


The key waited in the ignition, but before the car sputtered to life Sara leaned forward. “I heard what you said about the double murder, and all,” she said looking at the Lieutenant through the rearview mirror. “I found something hidden in the newspaper. A clue of some sort. A key, but I dropped it by the bench, and was too embarrassed to say something.” His hard expression softened for she ended her sentence with a soft smile. 


As he reached for the door handle to go look, Thad tapped him on the forearm with the key in hand. The snarl creased and parted Alain’s lips. Thad shrugged a shoulder. “Sorry man, I wanted to mull it over a bit in my mind before I gave it to you.”


“Let’s go back inside and you can show me exactly where you found the paper.” His command shot out roughly. “Anything else I should know.”


“No, not yet” Sara added. 


With that said he broke eye contact in the mirror and turned to face her, but again her easy smile melted the situation. “Come on Nancy Drew let’s go back in the cabin.” 



© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
still working

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cherrie, another interesting story that kept my attention! I love mystery!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you:)
KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

My pleasure!
dear Cherrie... we do need a fresh Mystery writer, and you "fit the "bill"...
Good Luck with your nuances and secret deductions. Always enjoy your style
of writing. tenderly, Pat

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you Pat. You are always an encouragement to me.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 4, 2021
Last Updated on June 24, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever summer Forever summer

A Poem by Gee