Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Ellary™

Chapter eight;

Lissie lay awake in her bed chambers; right outside of Aubren’s. She couldn’t look at the stars from here, and it bothered her. As quietly as she could, she shifted her weight to her legs, and pushed them out of bed. Trying not to make any sound, she walked down the long hall, alternating sides when she passed Aubren’s room, and continuing to the garden. The brick path was cold this time of night, but she still preferred it to her stuffy little room. She couldn’t see or hear the fountain, since it had been turned off, but she heard something else.

A low, sweet voice was coming from where Lissie had imagined the fountain. It was a boy’s voice; too sweet to be Aubren’s, and too young to be the Kings. Lissie followed the sound, until it stopped.

“Oh.” She heard a boy say. “I didn’t know I had an audience…” His voice sounded nervous, but Lissie couldn’t see a thing. She blinked, as if it would help.

“Where�"“ Lissie furrowed her brow. “Where is the damn fountain?” She complained. She had imagined he would laugh, but she heard nothing.

“Over here.” It seemed as though his voice had changed locations, but Lissie stumbled towards the fountain where he had said it was. Her shin knocked hard on the brick, and her hands shot towards her pained leg. She heard a laugh this time.

“Shut up!” Lissie growled. “Who are you, anyway?”

“I’m Orris. The King’s second eldest.” Lissie stopped, and stared. Hoping her eyes would adjust. “Also known as the son who should have never been born?”

“I’ve… Honestly, I’ve never heard of you.” Lissie confessed.

“Because people are scared of me. My parent’s hide me from public.”

“Scared of you? Why? How old are you?”

“I’m nineteen. They fear me because I’m a blood mage.”

“What’s so scary about a stupid mage?” Lissie asked.

“Ask my family that, will you?” His voice shot up.

“You should take on the profession of a bard.” Lissie remarked, commenting on his singing voice.

“I can’t. I’m not allowed to leave the palace walls.”

“Oh, that blows.” Lissie sat on the fountain, unaware of his location, still. “Orris, huh?” Lissie questioned.

“That’s what I said, isn’t it?” Orris said bluntly. Lissie rolled her eyes with annoyance and didn’t say anything back. “Aren’t you annoyed?” He asked, and Lissie turned to where she thought she heard his voice.

“At what?” Lissie demanded.

“That you can’t see at all?”

“I can’t help that it’s night.”

“The fact that you can’t see is my doings. I’m using Noslumos.”

“I don’t know what that is.” Orris lifted the spell right as she made her remark. The moonlight filled Lissie’s eyes again, and she could see the garden now. Her eyes shot to Orris first, a bit curious on his appearance. He, like most of Denrim’s royal family, had smooth black hair. His face looked young, and childish. His jaw wasn’t as pronounced as Aubren’s was, and his eyes were thinner and more handsome. Lissie had to look again when she came to his eyes. They were bright yellow; she could see them even in the moon light.

“What? Is it my eyes, then?” He asked. “I could always turn Noslumos back on.” His face was expressionless.

“No, no need.” Lissie looked away and sighed. “What is a blood mage, exactly?”

“So that’s why you didn’t run away.” Orris sighed. “Blood magic… blood magic is shunned. Those who use it are shunned.”

“Yes but why?” Lissie asked, impatient. “I don’t understand why.”

“A long time ago,” Orris switched to a more lounging position, “a long time ago, demons lived among the humans. The humans were greedy, and they wanted a more effective and more powerful way to wield the magic they knew. The demons taught the mortals blood magic. The host of the blood magic has to sacrifice their whole moral conscience to use it. It’s evil, pure evil; to put it simple.” Lissie pondered what he had spoken.

“So what? Who cares? Other mages aren’t shunned, why should Blood mages be?”

“Not the reaction I had hoped for.” Orris sighed. “Normal girls run away screaming.”

Normal?” Lissie accused. “Who gives you the right to call me abnormal?”

“The demons do.” Orris said, in a matter-of-fact way. Lissie sighed.

“So did you actually get a demon to teach you?”

“No. I was just born with it. Yet my parents act like it was my entire fault.”

“I know how that feels.” Lissie said, referring to her mothers ‘death.’ “So what is blood magic like?”

“If my skin were to get cut open enough to bleed, my whole body would go numb and the entire palace would turn into a massacre. Guards would start popping and exploding, and there would be blood everywhere.”

“Only guards?”

“Those in my blood line go unaffected.”

“Oh, I see. Sucks for me, then.” Lissie focused on her hands.

“You’re a guard?” Orris asked.

“Now I am, yes.”

“I thought you were another Princess from some far off land, coming to meet Aubren.”

“Oh thank the maker, no.” Lissie gapped. Orris smiled weakly. “I’m off to bed.” Lissie stood and waved shortly bye. She fell asleep then, with a clear mind; dreaming about exploding guards.

Aubren woke her in the morning; too early for her liking.

“Buzz off.” She snipped her hand at his face, and he laughed at her.

“You know, technically you’re the one who is supposed to wake me.”

“Don’t get all technical, b*****d.” Lissie stuffed her head under her hay-filled pillow.

“Suit yourself. You won’t want to sleep in after seeing what’s for breakfast, though.” Aubren backed away backwards, slowly.

“…I’ll be down in a moment.” Lissie said, at the first mention of food.

“If I leave you here alone, you’ll find the kitchen by dawn. I’ll wait for you at the stairs.” Aubren smiled and left her to change. Lissie nearly had to roll out of bed in order to get herself to move. She wished then she hadn’t gone out to the garden so late last night. It made her terribly tired.

She met up with Aubren at the stairs, and he led her to the kitchen. The table consisted of all the First Leagues, and all the family; minus Orris. Lissie didn’t ask about it. She would ask when she and Aubren were alone.

The meal was delicious. Stuffing filled turkey and bacon were the main courses; along with scrambled eggs and toast. The butter was so thick and creamy; Lissie thought her mouth would explode. The milk was softer and thicker then she had ever imagined milk to be. She couldn’t imagine how the family acted as if nothing was out of place.

After breakfast, Aubren and Lissie took for his room. Once they reached the stairs, away from everyone else, Lissie turned to him.

“Where is Orris?” She asked, bluntly. Aubren scolded her with his eyes.

“Don’t speak of him so casually.”

“And why not?” Said Lissie.

“Don’t you know he’s a host of blood magic?”

“Like he can help it.” Lissie puffed her lips. Aubren didn’t speak to her the rest of the day. She didn’t think it was such a sensitive topic; now she knew.

Lissie spent the rest of her day exploring the castle. She used this as an excuse to go find Orris’ room. She was unsuccessful. She explored Marie Ann’s side of the castle first. Every door she opened lead to a study or a bathe room. Occasionally she’d meet new family members. She met Lucinda; the youngest daughter of only six years. She met Terrence, the third oldest son at age nine. Then there was Marie Ann, age sixteen, Orris, age nineteen, and Aubren, age twenty one. Lissie noted that Orris didn’t have a First League. Does only the family know about him? Do they shun him that much? If so, why do they even bother keeping him here in the castle?

Lissie would love to know more about Denrim’s Royal Families secrets. Like the Tyughel Sword, for instance.

When she returned to Aubren’s room, there was a girl with him. Lissie mocked him for his love affairs, and left. The girl with him stormed out with Lissie. Lissie, of course, laughed at Aubren for that, too. He was already mad at her, so now he was furious. Lissie found that even funnier, of course. Aubren didn’t let Lissie in his room for the rest of the day. Lissie decided to simply go to bed. It was only near six, but she was tired from her last night’s extravaganza.

Lissie had a dream of a boy standing on the side of a cliff. He looked back at her, and tears of blood came from his eyes. When Lissie tried to approach him, he moved closer to the edge. Implying that he’d rather die then be closer to Lissie. Lissie, in her dream, eventually got mad at him, and charged him, and pushed him off. Lissie knew she would never do this in real life, probably. Unless she was as mad as she felt in her dream.

Lissie woke in the middle of the night. Instead of leaving for the garden, though, she forced herself back to sleep. She knew she’d be grateful for her choice come morning.

Lissie woke to the sound of arguing men. She perked her ears.

“At least let us conduct a search in your castle!” One man yelled.

“I won’t allow it!” It was the King arguing back.

“Daland has heard many rumors about Felicity’s presence in you castle. If word goes back that you refused Daland guards to search for her, that won’t look good for you.” Felicity sounded so familiar to Lissie. She thought hard, it reminded her of her childhood. It was foggy, but she came to the conclusion that it was her mother’s name. Lissie peeked through the crack of the door.

Aubren walked in on the two men. He seemed to realize what was going on, and began to walk to Lissie’s bed chamber. Lissie worried, then lay back down in her bed, and pretended to be asleep. She heard the click sound of his boots coming near her, but she kept her eyes closed and relaxed. She heard him stop at her bed. He sighed before saying;

“Lissie.” Aubren whispered, as he shook her softly. “Lissie, get up.”
      “What?” Lissie said louder then intended.

“Sh.” Aubren put his finger over his lip, as if Lissie were a child. “I need you to come with me.” Aubren held out his hand.

“I’m not even dressed.” Lissie blinked.

“We don’t have time; we need to leave the palace, right away.” It sounded like a risky situation, but his voice was so smooth and carefree, Lissie didn’t worry what for.

“Oh, alright.” Lissie quietly slid out of her covers.  Aubren guided her by her elbow, through the dark room.

“I didn’t realize how big this room is…” Lissie said, right before she opened her mouth wide for a yawn. Aubren bent down and unlatched something Lissie was too tired to focus on.

“I’ll jump first. I’ll tell you when it’s safe to jump.” Lissie nodded, having no reasoning for what was going on. Aubren slipped out of view, and Lissie stood patiently, waiting for his ‘ok.’

“Okay, jump.” Lissie slid her toes over the edge, and free fell into the blackness. Aubren caught her, and slid her onto the wet ground. Lissie was more awake now; the cold crisp air forced her lungs to breath faster.

“Where are we?” Lissie complained, rubbing her arms with her hand. “Who was that man? Who’s Felicity?” Lissie’s teeth chattered. It didn’t help that she was only in her night slip. It was nearly see-through, too. Cold gusts of air kept sneaking under the slip, causing her to shiver violently out of nowhere. Aubren offered her his coat, but she declined.

Lissie became a little more hopeful when the cold, damp tunnel angled upwards. Lissie had to hold onto Aubren arm, because she couldn’t see a thing. She didn’t understand how Aubren could, it was pitch black. Lissie clenched her teeth when she heard the small nails of rats and mice scurry along by her feet.

“Aubren?” Lissie voice echoed in the tunnel.

“Yes?” He looked back at her, but she couldn’t see him.

“Where are you taking me? What’s going on?” Lissie pushed.

“I’ll tell you once we reach light.”

“Stop, I can’t… I don’t�"“ Lissie hesitated.

“You don’t what?” Aubren stopped.

“I don’t trust you.” Aubren couldn’t understand her words. He didn’t understand what this had to do with trust. “Whenever I trust someone they end up hurting me�"so I can’t trust anyone anymore.”

“That’s a horrible thing to say.” Aubren continued up hill. “We’re nearly there now, so, it’s too late to turn around, if that’s what you wanted.” This suspense was killing Lissie. If he was taking her somewhere where he could hurt her and know one would know, she wanted to turn around and run. But if there was danger in the castle, she wanted to come with him.

Lissie was indecisive, so she followed Aubren. It wasn’t below freezing anymore, so at least Lissie wasn’t shivering as much.

“I know you know about the Tyughel Sword. Why won’t you tell me a thing about it?”

“I’m not supposed to. My father forbids it.” At least he’s now telling me he knows about it, Lissie thought. “Why are you so interested in it, anyway?” Aubren stopped, waiting for her answer.

“Curiosity, like before.” Lissie knew she wouldn’t be able to keep pushing it off as curiosity. For now, though, that excuse still worked.

Lissie saw beams of light, now, and she became more and more impatient. She loosened her finger’s grip around Aubren’s arm, and relaxed a little. They were under the beams, now, standing across from a ladder. Aubren started up the ladder without hesitation, and Lissie followed. When he reached the top, Aubren pushed the metal bars off the opening, and climbed out. Once he was out, he turned around to help Lissie up.

They were in town; Lissie could tell. They were in some untraveled part of town. The only buildings that enclosed this area were small houses that looked abandoned.

“Where are we?” Lissie rubbed her face.

“In the Ailenage.” Aubren looked around, inspecting their arrival location.

“With the elves?” Lissie gapped. She had never seen an elf before.

“Yea.” Aubren started walking towards one of the buildings. Once they were inside, they climbed the stairs to the top level. They reached a balcony on the second floor. Lissie could see the palace from here; it looked so small.

“Oh my…” Lissie commented. “Now, what’s going on? Who’s that man?” Aubren sighed, as if he were dreading it.

“’That man’ was looking for Princess Felicity of Daland.” Aubren turned his whole body towards Lissie.

“Yea, so what? She’s not in the palace, is she?”

“Not anymore.” Aubren fiddled his thumbs.

“Okay, good. Why can’t we go back, then?”

“If we go back, Felicity will be there again…” Aubren pushed his eyes together, for lack of a better response.

“What?” Lissie pushed her eyebrows together.

“Think about it. Felicity -- Lissie.” Lissie began to somewhat understand.

“You’re saying… You’re saying I’m Felicity? You’re nuts.” Lissie shook her head.

“It’s true! Your father is a thief, right?” Lissie’s face was filled with shock.

“How’d you know?” Lissie said, in anger. “So what?” Lissie wanted to leave.

“A long time ago, Princess Felicity of Daland was kidnapped while playing in the palace gardens. She had never been heard of again… till three weeks ago, when she arrived in Denrim for the League auditions,” said Aubren. “They say her kidnapper had to have been a Thief Lord to pull something off like stealing a princess.” Lissie felt like her vision was being blurred. The only reason Aubren let her fight a draw with him was so she would seem stronger then she really was… so she wouldn’t be shocked when she made the First League… So she would be inside the palace…

“You… you knew?” Lissie said, holding back tears. She didn’t want to be princess. “This is wrong. I’m a thief lord’s daughter from Hiemen. I’m not a princess, I’m not!” Lissie shouted. “I have a brother… and a mom, and a father!”

“You do…but… not the ones you’re thinking of.”

“I knew I couldn’t trust anyone.” Lissie stormed out of the room, into the streets again. Lissie ran. She ran out of the Ailenage, into the streets of Denrim. People stared at her, but didn’t look suspicious of her. Maybe they didn’t even know what was going on at the Palace, maybe they didn’t know that Princess Felicity had been found. The Palace probably slipped it under their noses; just like they had done with Lissie.

What had her father been thinking, sending her to Denrim Palace where she would be recognized? After nearly twenty minutes of running, Lissie had to walk. She coughed, and hobbled to a tight ally, where she laid on the ground. She sighed a deep breath, and held her hands in front of her face. They were trembling. Lissie was scared.



© 2010 Ellary™


Author's Note

Ellary™
I hate this chapter. Way too confusing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on November 16, 2010
Last Updated on November 16, 2010


Author

Ellary™
Ellary™

WI



About
Hi I'm ELLARY and I L O V E writing! more..

Writing
The Cure The Cure

A Story by Ellary™


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Ellary™