Riding Shot-Gun

Riding Shot-Gun

A Chapter by Emylia Senna
"

Mya encounters Alex who has more to say than thought out

"

I was at the church. My parents had gone to Denver and conveniently forgot to tell me. Alex was talking to his girl. We were the only ones left at the church.

It was killing me being there watching them, nothing could pull me away. Megan noticed me sitting on the curb alone. When she and Alex came up to me, Alex looked depressed, they kept a very awkward distance from each other.

“Hey, you okay, Ashley? Do you need a ride home?”

“Nah . . . I’ll walk if I have to.”

“Where’s your car?” Alex chimed in.

“In the shop.”

“Well, I wish I could take you, but I have work,” Megan stated, “But Alex,” she turned to him, “Why don’t you take her? It’s freezing out.”

“No it’s okay-” I started to say.

“I’ll give you a ride,” Alex gave in. I felt like I had the cautious big eyes actresses get when playing a nervous role. I got up and stepped in the way of his car.

“No hard feelings right?” I heard Megan say.

“Yeah,” Alex sounded hurt.

I got in the car, but I faced out the window.

“Everything okay?” I tried breaking the ice crowding us in the car.

“Megan’s getting back together with her ex.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah. She kept telling me that second chances are better because they are the chance to make things right.”

“I’ve heard that.”

“She said she heard it from you.”

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“Naw, it’s true actually. I never thought of it like that.”

“It’s just a thought.”

“She also said that you are taking full blame for our break-up, and you’ve been talking me up to her when she asks about me.”

“So?”

“Why are you doing that?”

“Sometimes the most painful things in the now can be the best things for you in the long run. I’m just doing what I can to make you happy.”

“Why? Do you still?”

To be honest I didn’t know anymore. That emotion was blocked by the pain of what I was doing. I nodded.

“Ash, you don’t have to do this to yourself. I’m not worth your time.”

“The only difference with that statement is, I think you are, regardless of what you think.”

“But, I still really care about you; even though I don’t show it, I do. And I don’t want you meddling in my life, point A. Point B, it’s hurting you, and I don’t want your help if it hurts you.”

“How do you know it’s hurting me?”

“Well, there’s the fact that you won’t smile, you barely talk, and you basically told me.”

I couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Ash,” I looked at him, “Thank you.”

He touched my hand that rested on my leg. I tried to ignore the tingling and sparks. I didn’t pull away though.

He pulled up to my house.

“Thanks.”

I got out.

“Hey!” Alex called, “You’re a good person, Ash, I just wish I could return the favor.”

“You already did.”

I walked into my house, and cried. I had no true reason, but I’d been holding it in for too long and I had to let some of it out.



© 2013 Emylia Senna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on March 17, 2013
Last Updated on March 17, 2013
Tags: #Hope #Love


Author

Emylia Senna
Emylia Senna

Broomfield, CO



About
I'm not what people would normally expect :) more..

Writing