Chapter Four- What's That?

Chapter Four- What's That?

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

     No Rest For The Wicked
EncoreDeZiza
All Rights Reserved
2013

Chapter Four
What's That


   “Where have you been?”

She stopped in her tracks, grinding her teeth, “Out.”

“Out where?” She could feel it. Just under the skin. Moving. Twisting. It was waking up and it wanted to play.

“Neighbors.” She spat, she needed to get out of here before it was too late. “Doing pull ups on their swing set.” She added at her mother’s judgmental and disbelieving stare.

“Well!” She snapped, “I don’t believe you. I think you just talk a lot of s**t, and under that tiny, tiny jacket is nothing but skin and bones.” Her jaw slammed shut, stopping her screams as it arched it’s scales into her flesh. She heard the faint plop of a single drop of blood as it fell from her back. She didn’t have time to argue, she couldn’t afford it.

“Actually, she did do them. I saw her form the porch.” Erin spoke up, their mother snorted and rolled her eyes but Erin continued, “She works out like eight hours a day and then the next day she comes down and she’s like ‘well, I’m gonna go work out’.”

“I don’t work out for eight hours.” Faerie insisted, her voice coming out soft and gentle, although on the inside she was begging, pleading the beast to wait. Just a few seconds.

Her hands lay in balls in her jacket pockets, she could feel her warm blood dripping from the change. It was winning. And she needed out. Luckily, her mother scoffed and stomped off, Faerie gave her sister a warm smile before heading for the stairs. It took more strength than she thought she had not to run up them. But at this point, any irrational movements would only set it off more. Their small shitz-u followed her up the stairs, panting as it hauled it’s oversized body up all 34 stairs. It ran in between her legs, waiting patiently at the door, it’s tail thumping on the wooden floor boards. She shoved the door open and closed it lightly, avoiding her mother’s outraged rants. She crossed the room, scooping down in front of her clean clothes basket, grabbing a large T and some lose shorts. She set them out along with some fresh underwear and unzipped her jacket. She cringed as her hands came out of the bloodied pockets, covered in hot, sticky substance she’d become all too familiar with. She stepped out of her pants and looked down at her black sports bra. Erin had given it to her, she allowed the ghost of a smile to play at her lips, she loved that kid. Seeing the green scales press against the inside of her flesh, she quickly pulled it off, tossing it onto the bed and stepping back, thanking God that her room was big enough for this. She drew a deep breath, one she knew she wouldn’t be getting another of, and closed her eyes. She gave in to it, knowing how much easier and beneficial that was than making it wait. The damn dragon hated waiting.

            She screamed as the scales ripped through her flesh, shredding it and leaving her carpet soaking in blood. Her eyes snapped open as her spine twisted, breaking and healing as it stretched higher, longer. She gasped for the air her growing lungs couldn’t consume, leaving her with her mouth wide open, an unattractive sucking noise coming from deep in her throat. Wings exploded from her back and she screamed again, her jaw line breaking as it popped and snapped out of and then back into place. More blood dropped to the floor as her skin stretched to it’s max before her second skeleton grew its own flesh, the scales shredding whatever remained. Her shrieks of agony turned into a deep, goose bump-worthy roar that came from somewhere deep within her gut. Air finally filled her lungs, and she fell to the ground with a heavy thud that shook her soaking floor. She closed her eyes, finally at peace. She didn’t need to glance at the mirror; she knew what she looked like. Green scales and golden eyes. Her nails were black as well as her thin, but long, eyelashes. She drew deep, calming breaths as an attempt to calm her racing heart. She didn’t miss the loud, obnoxious footsteps as someone raced up the stairs. She knew how to change back, but it wasn’t something she was willing to do. So she just stayed, hoping and praying that it was just Erin; she was, after all, the only one who ever checked up on her. The only one who cared.

            Contrary to her prayers, her door flung open, smashing the wall and her right hind leg, making her dragon give a softer, but still terrifying growl. Granted, it was better than before, but to her mother, who was standing wide eyed (and had a wet spot in between her legs, which continued to trail on down her leg). It was still inhumane. If she was a human, she’d scream. Run. Cry. Why? It was freaky. Inhumane. It was unnatural. So she did the only thing a spineless, pitiful excuse for a human being could- she picked up a bat from the floor and waved it in Fae’s face. “Get out of my house. NOW!” She roared. “You’re kind aren’t welcome here.” She spat. Fae’s dragon huffed, it’s nostrils flaring, little puffs of black smoke dancing in the air, dissolving as they hit the ceiling.  Now, her mother began to shake, Fae just watched as they got bad enough that she dropped the bat. “A-a-as f-f-far a-as I’m c-con-cerned, you-‘re d-d-dead.” She stuttered, before turning and running down the stairs, screaming, “CALL 911!”

Fae swallowed, her eyes settling on the pile of clothes she’d left out, she reached over and snatched them up before standing. Her head hit the ceiling and her dragon let out another annoyed huff, the puff of smoke vanishing as she smashed through the wall, pumping her stiff wings and taking flight and blending in with the night. She wouldn’t really miss anything there anyways. Well, almost anything…

 

 

 

 

XXX

 

 

 

“Hello,” Fae greeted, looking at the table. It was a table of three. Two woman and one male. A blonde, a red-head, and a burnette (Okay, so she wasn’t burnette, her hair was black), it was a set up for a really bad joke, and for some reason that was funny to Fae today, so whatever. She let herself have it. “And what can I get for you today?” She asked cheerfully. They were all especially attractive, leaving her pretty jealous. The male was pretty hot, you could tell he was fit, but it wasn’t too much and he didn’t flaunt it. He was super open, though, on his either relationship or crush towards the girl with the black hair, who sat across from him, studying the menu intently.

“Hello!” He greeted. The red-head snorted. Fae found herself with a growing curiosity on what color their eyes were. All three of them were wearing tinted sunglasses, effectively concealing any hint whatsoever of what their eyes were. “We’ll take two chocolate malts and two large fries.” He said, plucking the menu from the girl with black hair.

“You want me to eat a large fry?” She challenged, but the grin on his face was unmistakable.

“You’re going to eat it.”

“No,” She refused, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Uh, yes.” He pushed, “Everyone here knows you’re gonna eat mine anyway. Plus I’m paying for them, so you have to eat them. Don’t waste my money.”

“You wasted your money. Not me.” She corrected.

“Ignore them.” The red-head spoke, flashing a tight, fake, smile. “I’ll take the biggest cheese burger you’ve got and a large coke.”

“You got it.” Fae replied, scribbling their orders down and scooping up their menus. “I’ll be right back.”

            Ten minutes later, Fae returned with a circular tray. Her eyes set on the table; she stopped when someone called out to her, “Waitress?” She turned around to see a man in his mid 20’s. He flashed her a smile but she could smell the bourbon from where she stood. She gave a polite one back, “Can I help you, sir?”

“Actually yes,” He said matter-of-factly, a huge smirk plastered on his sauce-stained face. Her dragon began to get agitated, moving just beneath her skin, she could feel her heart racing as her fear spiked. She couldn’t lose it here. She almost had enough money to enroll for school. She’d worked so hard. “What would it take to get you in my bed?” She could feel the pain spreading in her wrists. It wanted out. Her body was consumed with heat as it inwardly roared; she couldn’t conjure up the courage to smile so she just gave him a blank look.

“No.” Was all she managed to say, her heart pounding. She needed to get out of here. She’d earned a lot of tips today… Finish your last table, she told herself turning from the creep, and you can leave. It’s only a half an hour, you’ll make it. She promised, soothing her heartbeat, and conjuring up enough strength to hold back her dragon. She walked towards her last table and flashed a strained smile at the trio.

“Why not?” He called.

She ground her jaw, “Jail bait!” She sang, before focusing on the table again. “Two chocolate malts and large fry,” She tried to say, but it came out snappy and rude as she held back tears. She set the drinks down, and ripped her hand away from the malts Her temperature had spiked with her dragon acting up and the ice cream was too much for her fragile flesh. She didn’t miss the green scales that pierced through the skin on her left wrist. She ground her teeth, “Sorry ‘bout that.” She laughed, but even it came out nervous and shaky, matching her voice to a T. “Um, and here’s-uh- your cheese burger and here’s your coke.” She added, her voice coming out smoother, calmer, but inside her fear peaked. She knew what that meant. It was only getting closer. And it was coming out faster than she thought, and stronger than last time. “Have a fantastic day.” She urged, spinning from the table and practically running behind the desk, “Darla?” She called, “Darla?”

“I’m by the stove, dear!” The manager called.

“I’m taking off!” She yelled, ignoring the stares from co-workers as blood dripped from her wrist. She drew it into her stomach, holding it with her other hand.

“Did you finish your tables?”

“Yes ma’am!”

“See you tomorrow!”

“I’ll be here!” She promised, slipping off her apron and hanging it on the rack, she then smiled to the cashier and nodded to the new guy who was just walking in before darting out the door. STUPID! She yelled as she forced herself to slow down, she walked over to her beat-up dodge and threw herself in, forcing herself to take calming breaths. She started the engine, thankfully, it only took one try. The radio exploded throughout the cab, making her leap in the air before turning it off. Drawing deep breaths, she checked behind her and flipped it in reverse, trying her best to ignore the blood that was spilling onto her legs.

 

            She barely had time to rip the keys from the ignition, before the first scream broke out. She scrambled up the hill to her log cabin and fumbled with the keys, after a few attempts, it clicked and she shoved it open, stumbling in. Her keys hit the floor with a crash, and she kicked the door before ripping off her uniform and chucking it across the room. Her curtains were black and all in place, so she kicked her keys out of the way and made a break for the basement. She kicked it in and half-ran half-fell down the stairs. She shut the sound-proof door and then let it out.

            The first scream was always the weakest. Shocking to plausible neighbors, but weaker than the mid-shift scream. If it wasn’t obvious already, that’s why she moved here. The blood, the screaming, the huge freaking green dragon. Yeah, all reasons to be isolated in the woods. By yourself. Her train of thought was drown out by her pain as her spine snapped and twisted, soaring to new heights, as it popped and healed into place, her jaw snapping, her bones growing, hardening, thickening, shedding her skin. And leaving a pool of blood. She collapsed onto the cement and huffed, watching the black smoke circulate up. The only thing her dragon didn’t like about where she lived is that it wasn’t that big, so she couldn’t fly during the day. She had to wait. And by then, especially if she’d already shifted, she didn’t have the energy. The stronger her dragon got, the stronger she became. However. She was quickly finding that she couldn’t shift twice in one day. The stronger her dragon was, the faster the shift. But it left her limbs sore. The aches weren’t as bad as they once were, but her human took a while to catch up to the strength and healing speed of her dragon. So, her limbs still ached, they were getting better, just.. Slowly.

            She laid there debating whether or not she should shift back. She was never entirely sure which was worse. Shifting dragon or shifting human. They were both extremely painful bone-shattering experiences in which her bones literally broke and then reheal themselves as others were breaking so that they could continue stretching, thickening and molding into an entirely different body. No exaggerations. On the other hand, when she shifted, her skin was ripped from her being, shredded from the inside, and then torn apart, dissolving into pools of her own blood. The shift back however, wasn’t as harsh. The scales retreat, her bones snap, break, and some shatter, she usually lays on her basement floor, making a new pile of blood as she waits for her skin to grow over her exposed insides. On the bright side, skin-growing time was getting faster. She raised her tail just to feel it thud. Man, being a dragon was boring during the day. She sighed, but it came out as a huff. If she cleaned now, she’d have time to fly later. She drew a deep breath before closing her eyes and clamping her jaw closed, with that, she shifted back.

            After all her skin was on, and her organs weren’t exposed, she stood up and walked slowly up the stairs, testing her limbs. Not bad. Barely any pain. She honestly felt nothing. Only when she focused really hard did she find slight aches. She went to the bedroom, opening her closet and digging through her dresser. Finally, she found a pair of old, stained, grey sweat pants and put them on, along with a light-weight, large, white T. She slipped on some socks and made her way into the kitchen where she dropped to her knees in front of the sink and dug through the supplies, grabbing out multiple rags and squirt bottles. She stuck them into her handy little green basket and started with the living room, she dropped the basket in front of the blood spill and moved to find her clothes which were thrown into the washer and her keys, which she put into the dish. With everything in place, she began to scrub, dropping to her knees so she could erase all evidence. Twenty minutes later, she was working on the steps when someone knocked. Her being instantly tensed and she strained her hearing.

            ‘I get the whole no whittnesses thing,’ A woman spoke, ‘But, really? Wouldn’t you want to live close to your friends?’

‘Hey M?’ A man added, ‘Shut up.’ There was laughter, from a female. Whether it was the first female “M” or another one, she didn’t know. Slowly, she stood up, closing the basement door with the basket and everything hidden from sight. She walked through, plugging in the air freshener, and double checking to make sure she got everything. When she was convinced she had, she bounced upstairs, blaring the radio, and ran back down all 3 steps, to the bathroom, retrieving the mop and an empty bucket. She pretended to be mopping the bathroom, but, unfortunately, the knocking continued. Damn.. She stood then, ripping off her blood stained pants and shirt and hid them under the sink before snatching up a spare, she put them on on the way over. Now wearing dark black skinny jeans with holes and paint stains, and a tight grey shirt with the logo for ‘These Guys’ a rock band she’d fallen in love with over the past three years.

            She walked over to the door, placing her left hand firmly on the surface. She breathed slowly, analyzing. There were three body temperatures on the other side. Higher than normal, but still only three. She opened the door, flashing a smile and naturally leaning on the frame. Her smile faded into confusion as she recognized the trio from the diner. “Uh.. Hi?” She greeted, “Can I help you?”

“Howdy!” The guy greeted, flashing another smile. Fae noted that he was, in fact, attached to the black haired girl by the waist. She also noted that they were still in shades, even though it was 7:30 and the sun was setting, leaving them in evening weather, completely inappropriate for sunglasses. The girl, his girl, stepped forward, out of his reach. His disapproval was obvious, written over every feature. “I’m Richelle; most people just call me Moxx. This is my- um.. Ashton. This is Ashton, most people call him Grey. And this is M,”

“Hey guys.” She awkwardly greeted, half-waving. “Moxx, Grey, M, Howdy. I’m Fae.” Then she rolled her eyes jokingly, “Faerie, actually, but never call me that. Fae. I answer to Fae.”

“Well, it is nice to meet you, Fae.” Grey smiled.

“Um, is this about your food? Because I’m not allowed-“

“No, no,” Moxx dismissed. Oh, gross. I think I’ll call her Richelle from now on. Moxx was just… weird. “Um..” She bit her lip, looking to Ashton Grey. “May we come in?” she finally asked.

“Um..” Fae moved from the doorframe, doing a quick run-through of her living room. Clear. “Sure. I was just, um, cleaning. So.. Might be slightly strange.” She admitted.

“Oh, you’re fine.” Richelle assured.

“I can almost guarantee we’ve seen worse.” M said, earning a fierce glare from Richelle and an eye roll from Ashton Grey.

“Oookay?” Fae opened the door, ushering them in. “Is there anything I can get you? Water? Pop? Alcohol- I actually don’t have much alcohol..” She rambled on as they filed in and she closed the door, her heart stopped as she froze, eyes glued to her truck. She hadn’t thought to clean it. The drivers door was wide open, revealing the blood inside as well as her shoes, there was blood smeared all over the door- inside and out. They had to of seen that.

“We’re fine, thank you.” Ashton Grey (That was getting to be a mouth full..) informed. She closed the door, wiping all emotion from her face and plastering on a fake smile. She turned around, as M sat on the shays.

“What kinda pop you got?” She asked, Richelle and Ashton Grey plopped on the couch together, Ashton Grey threw his feet on Richelle’s lap and she glared at him, knocking them down only so he could put them back up. She looked at him and he chuckled. Fae mentally cursed herself. Honestly? She wished she could see their eyes.

“Dr. Pepper and Cherry Pepsi.”

“Gross.” M scoffed. Fae couldn’t help but smile, she was kinda like Erin in some ways. Fae excused herself and grabbed Cherry Pepsi, pouring in some vodka and walked back into the room, she wasn’t sure how much of Erin she could take before breaking down.

            “Where’s your bathroom?” Ashton Grey asked, trying to be polite.

“Down the hall and to the left.” Fae informed, “I was mopping though, so, be careful.” He gave a nod of gratitude before vanishing. The room engulfed in silence and Fae couldn’t help it, she leaned forward and squinted at Richelle. “Why do you were sunglasses everywhere you go?”

A small smirk played with the ends of her lips, “Tell you what, an answer for an answer. What’s up with the scales?” Her breath caught in her throat as her pulse increased.

“I-uh- how did you..?”

“Oh, I’ll tell you. But if you explain what’s up with your truck. Are we playing or not? No bullshit, only honesty.” She pushed, leaning forward to point her shades directly at Fae. It was really intimidating and she couldn’t even see her eyes. Imagine if she could… She tried not to shiver, but failed.

“Fine.” She agreed, “You first. ‘Sup with the shades?” She demanded, sitting back in her chair. She took a swig of her drink, her eyes trained on Richelle.

“Alright,” Richelle agreed, “Fair enough.” She moved her hands up then and removed the shades, Fae found herself starring and occupied herself with the chair she was sitting in. After a while, she turned to see Fae’s long black eyelashes cast downward as she set the shades on the table. “Ready?” She asked. Fae nodded. She turned her head to face Fae, snapping her eyes open and Fae’s heart stopped. The color moved like liquid around in her iris, it was like watching a golden sea. She was sure that if she looked hard enough, she might imagine the black silhouette of a boat. The color was an entirely different level of beauty. They were the color of purified gold. Nothing else. No red, no green, no brown. Strictly gold. Her pupils were so small, Fae didn’t even see them until she focused really hard, using her dragon sight which she knew changed the way her eyes looked. “See kid, we’re like you. Different. Only we have the capability to tell who else is different. And you, my friend, are different. We just don’t know what.” Richelle informed, still leaning forward. “So, tell us, what’s up with your scales?”

“I- um..” She stuttered, Ashton Grey came walking in the room but froze, nearly knocking over a vase that he caught immediately.

“You could cut the awkward in here with a knife.” He exclaimed loudly.

M glared at him, “’Cut the awkward’?” She repeated, raising her eyebrows. But his attention was already divided, his eyes on Richelle’s exposed eyes, “Richelle-“

She held up a hand, silencing him. “You can tell us, Fae. Tell us anything and everything.” She added.

Fae chewed her lip, “It happened when I was thirteen.” She confessed. “Around the time of puberty. I didn’t understand it. I still really don’t. My father was verbally abusive, he’d had a bad day, and he came into my room, deciding to take it out on me. Then all the sudden it’s like someone, something, was defending me. I thought the roar- I thought it came from somewhere else. I was wrong. But I didn’t know that, not till later.” She drew a deep breath, taking another sip. First time talking? Hard. “I killed him you know. He’s dead. My mother, she hated me. I told them that someone broke in. But they said they didn’t understand how that much blood could be shed by bullets and blades. Still, I was all they had. So they went with it.

            “My mother though, after the ‘incident’ she hated my guts. Said I could’ve screamed, I could’ve stepped in front of them. However, when they showed up, I was covered in cuts and bruises, my whole body ached, and the therapists- they all told her that I was only thirteen, that I couldn’t have possibly done much more than what they assumed I’d done. The neighbors heard my screams as my bones broke and they took that to mean my cry for help. That’s how the cops became involved in the first place. It took me two years to discover that physical activity helped me, I was less sore and the beast listened. I was fifteen when I slipped up and screamed as my bones broke, the first time I’d made any loud noise in years, also I hit my head on the ceiling twice and collapsed to the ground, my mother was hosting a dinner party and was royally pissed off. She came running up to scream at me, and saw me. My dragon.

            “She told me I was dead to her, not that I already wasn’t… Anyway, I fled home. That was four years ago. I got this place, got a job, a few, found a place perfect for my… Condition… And settled down. I have friends, I have stability. I’m enrolling in school next fall and I-“ She swallowed, “I’m finally getting there.” She whispered. She didn’t dare look up from her cup; she knew the judgmental looks she was likely to receive.

            “You mentioned blood?” Richelle asked softly. Slowly, she lifted her eyes, scanning the room. Ashton Grey hadn’t moved and neither had M, Richelle, however, was squatting in front of Fae, her golden eyes trained on her. Fae merely nodded.

“Where?”

“You mean aside from my truck?” Fae asked, giving a sharp laugh at her stupidity. Richelle gave an apologetic look. “All over. I’ve been scrubbing for hours.”

“Where’s all over?” Richelle asked, standing, she held out her hand and Fae stood up on her own, brushing past her. She walked over by Ashton and opened the door to the basement, pointing. Not that she needed to. Richelle cringed. “What even happens to you? Like. How do you… You know…?”

She drew a deep breath. “The scales come first, they shred through my skin, that’s how the blood comes out. After that it’s your typical werewolf bone-breaking story, and my scales grow over my skeleton.”

“Oh my God.” Both Richelle and Ashton Grey said at the same time. “I’m so sorry,” Richelle continued. Fae shrugged.

“It’s not like anyone purposely did it, least of all you. So, don’t be hard on yourselves.” Richelle glanced at Ashton Grey and Fae had no doubts Ashton Grey was looking right back. “Are you guys going out?”

“Don’t get me started!” M spoke up, “Good God! They love each other but they could never be together. Now they’re together and they’re both too shy and stupid to ask the other out. So what do they do? They flirt constantly, and put everyone they’re around under serious social suicide.”

Fae chuckled, “Social suicide, eh?” M just nodded, she ripped off her shades, but her eyes were closed so Fae’s prying eyes couldn’t see. “I’m gonna take a nap, is that cool?”

“Mighty fine.” Fae confirmed.

“No,” Richelle scolded, “It’s not, M, we’ve gotta get going and you know it.”

“What?” Fae asked, her heart beat picking up slightly. “You can’t!”

“You’re coming with us,” Ashton Grey snorted, “Duh.”

“Seriously?” Fae asked, looking to Richelle.

“Well it was going to be a surprise, Ashton.” Richelle retorted.

“Am I the only one who thinks that sounds like a kidnapping?” M asked.

“Before we go,” Fae continued, completely ignoring her, “I really do have to clean this up. If I’m not there tomorrow, my boss will come looking for me.”

“Seriously?” M hissed, “How am I the only one? WE travel around the world and we’re gonna take someone with us, but they aren’t supposed to know about it. It’s a kidnapping people!”

 

 

 

 

            “I love you one,”

“Turn it off!” Ashton yelled. Richelle took a moment to crank the volume all the way up.

“A Two,”

“Richelle.” Ashton warned. Fae looked to M, who was sleeping, her legs resting on Ashton’s head rest.

Richelle opened her mouth, singing as loud as she could, “A three shooby doo! I love you four”

Her violent change in the level of noise made M jump up in her seat, it took a while for her to come to, but she didn’t hesitate to join in, “That’s more than I can afford and I can tell someday that I’m gonna say the truth-“ Their voices died as Ashton hit the power button, silencing the music. Richelle turned to him, pouting.

“I said no,” Ashton justified.

“But I love you five,” Richelle pleaded.

“WHATCH THE ROAD!” M roared, her warning drown out as the wheels of the oncoming car screamed in protest, the glass of Richelle’s front window flying into the rest of the car as it was thrown into the air, “UNBUCKLE!” Richelle screamed, and Fae did just that, fumbling with her seat belt as the car tossed and rolled in mid air, finally coming back down with a sickening thud.

            Richelle didn’t waste any time, she kicked open her door and rolled out, cracking her neck, Fae watched as Ashton cursed, climbing over the dented front and exiting through her window, he stumbled after her, and Fae watched M grab a gun from her pants, “Down.” She ordered, and Fae obliged, she shot out the window and bent at an angle, thrusting her leg forward to kick some debris out of the way, she gestured for Fae to go and she did, jumping out and landing soundly on her feet. She lifted her head to see Richelle and a taller man, standing face to face, toe to toe. She ran forward, watching Ashton approach cautiously. “What the hell is wrong with you?!” The man yelled his voice strong, confident; Fae stopped, mid-step. Her eyes peering around Richelle, her heart pounding. Zane. His silver eyes were in perfect cat-slits, his jaw set, his blonde hair even whiter in the sun. A woman came running from no where, Fae didn’t hesitate to identify her as Treya. Her stomach was slightly bigger than usual, indicating she was pregnant with either Abba or Zacc.

“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with me?!” Richelle challenged, taking a step forward, getting right in his face, “I was having such a great day until you ran into me, you incompetent-“

“Richelle.” Fae barked, Ashton turned to look at her like she’d grown a third head.

“Zane!” Treya called, she scanned the group and pulled a blade. Fae didn’t miss the click from M’s gun as she cocked it, she didn’t dare look away from Richelle. She and Zane would tear each other apart.

“They’re part of it.” Fae informed the group, “Don’t.” She hissed as Ashton drew his weapon, aiming at the newest arrival. Abba, who undoubtedly had her weapons out.

“Part of what?” Zane hissed as Richelle took a step back, slowly taking her eyes off Zane and pointing her sunglasses at Fae. Fae only nodded.
”Bleeding Roses. You’re part of Bleeding Roses, the guitarist, yes?”

Zane’s eyes slid into hers and she suppressed a shiver, fighting the blush that kissed her cheeks. She’d spent countless nights dreaming of Zane, of what would happen if he was real. She fantasized of all the ways she could take him from Treya. She cried when Treya became pregnant. She loved Zane, the ultimate fan girl, until Hale came along. Then, with Hale, it was different. She didn’t fantasize about Hale, but occasionally she did dream of him. With Hale, it was like she just craved him. She quit reading the books when the need for him just became too much. She still thought of him, all the time, it was crazy, the way she cared for imaginary people- well, when they were imaginary.. Now.. She just wanted to see Hale. To see if he was real. “What do you want? An autograph?” Treya hissed.
”Oh shut up,” Fae groaned, “The entire fan base was overjoyed when you died.”

“What?” Richelle’s laughter only caused Treya’s blade to be moved to her direction. Ashton casually slipped forward, standing protectively in front of Richelle, who only pulled a gun and side stepped away from him. Zane cocked his head, watching. “Oh, I see. So you two are together, that’s-“

Fae pulled her gun cocking it and aiming for Treya. “Shut up. Seriously! You’re so annoying.”

Hey.” Zane hissed, now standing protectively in front of Treya. He starred Fae down, his eyes flashing silver, but Fae couldn’t help it. She just wanted Treya dead.

“Alright, lover boy, I’ll make you a deal. If you can honestly tell me that you don’t think of Zoe every time Treya kisses you, or every time you look at Abba, then I wont shoot. And if not, move, and we’ll find Zoe.”

“Who’s Zoe?” Treya snapped as Zane’s posture stiffened. In one foul movement, he was holding Fae up by her neck, his eyes full on silver cat slits.

“Who are you” He growled. Fae felt the smirk tug at her lips. She’d dreamed of this moment, yet, it meant nothing. She pulled the trigger. She heard Abba’s shriek and the echo of someone’s gun, probably M’s, before everything went dead silent.

“Put me down,” Fae ordered, her tone unwavering, “Or they’ll just kill you.” His jaw locked, before he dropped her, stepping back. Fae swallowed as she shoved her dragon down. It really, really didn’t like being held like that. She could feel her scales brushing on her skin as it moved around uncomfortably. “You’re part of a story, Zane. You’re a book character. Zoe’s real name is Beth, her pen name is Zi. She’s an author. The author that created you.” He just swallowed, “You’re different though. You actually left your story, to join her in another.”

He cocked his eyebrows. “She re-wrote my whole life because she had a crush on me?”

“Pretty much.”

“Don’t see how you could blame her.” M added.

“I can.” Richelle sung, circling Zane. “You’re an idiot, an a*****e, you’re stubborn, you’re incompetent, the only reason you’re still breathing is because I bet Fae would fight for you, and she’s a fire-breathing dragon, so. She’s allowed to call the shots every once and a while.”

Zane rolled his eyes, before they settled on Fae, his whole being straightening as he became serious, “You said we could find Zoe.”

“We can. She’s alive.”

The way his entire face lit up was inspirational and only confirmed evidence of his undying love. “When?” Fae and Richelle looked at each other, exchanging looks of questioning, Richelle’s eyes snapped to Ashton as they removed their shades, Fae and M looked at each other, M lowering her guns.

“First thing’s first,” Ashton spoke up, “We need a ride.”

“Covered,” Zane announced, beaming.

 

 

 

            “Kayla,” Zoe hissed, “KAYLA!” Kayla jumped from the couch, rubbing her head as she looked over to see she was in a bed. She furrowed her eyebrows, confused. Slowly, she stood, looking over the bed, Hale was laying there half covered with blankets, but undoubtedly naked. Ut-oh.. “This is wrong,” Zoe announced.

Kayla looked over, her confusion only growing, “I would never dream of sex before marriage.. Not even with Sam-“

“No; This. This is all wrong, I didn’t write this..” Zoe murmured.

“What?”

“We’re off script...” Zoe mumbled, pacing across the room. “How does a book get off script?”

“What are you talking about?” Zoe looked up, her blue eyes slowly changing to grey. “Are you feeling okay? You’re eyes-“

“It’s so gross that you had sex with Hale.” Zoe spat. Kayla’s eyes narrowed, she opened her mouth, but was cut off, “I didn’t write about your sex life, I know this for a fact.”

“You know what I think?”

“You don’t know anything about reality; you’re only a book character based off Halia.”

“Zoe!”

“Shut up,” She hissed, turning away and clutching her head, “I’m getting a migraine.”

            “I don’t know what’s wrong with her,” Kayla whispered, “She’s been at it for hours.” Zane’s jaw locked as he walked over, cocking his head to the side and flashing a smile. She didn’t even look up, buried deep in paper work.

“What’s this?” He asked kindly, sliding a stool up to sit next to her.

“Busy.” She mumbled.

“Zoe, look, whatever it is, I can help.”

“No.,” She spat, standing up and pulling at her hair, “You can’t! No one can help me, don’t’ you see that?”

“Zoe,” He pleaded, standing with her, “Talk to me.”

“I-“ She shook her head, locking her jaw, “You all think I’m crazy,”

“No,” He clarified, “Just talk to us,” Someone knocked on the door and Zoe jumped.

“I don’t know what’s going on!” She admitted, slumping onto the couch, “I didn’t know someone would knock on the door, I didn’t know Kayla and Hale had a thing, I didn’t write this!”

“You can’t know everything that’s going to happen-“

“No, I can, I do. I’m in control, I was in control.”

“Zoe.” Zane reasoned, crouching in front of her, “It’s okay to not know”

“NO it’s not! Not when I’m writing the damned script!”

“Zoe.” Kayla barked, “These people are here to-“

“Are you okay?!” She jumped as Zane came running from the entry way, scooping her up into a tight hug. Her whole being stiffened as she looked over his shoulder to Zane. Her head pulsed and she went slack in his arms. She was exhausted.

            Suddenly, she was ripped from Zane’s arms and Zane went flying across the room, Zane standing, his breathing uneven. She groaned, covering her eyes. “What is going on?”

“Excuse me; You’re Ziza Blackburn, right?” She stiffened, raising her arms to look out the corner of her eye, A woman petite woman with black hair stood in front of her, looking down on her with concealed eyes.

“You know you’re inside, right?”

She chuckled, “You’re a writer. And you’ve written yourself into this book, am I correct?” She sat up, intrigued and relieved that someone was finally listening.

“Yes!”

“We need to know where you live.”

“Wait. What?”

“You need to trust us.”

“You know what? Fine.”

“Okay. Now I have another question. Which Zane do you like better? The first one or the one you modified to be in love with you?”

“The one that loves me.” She answered, laying down on the couch.

“Great.” She said, “Ashton?”

“You got it.” Came a male’s reply.

“I’m Richelle.” The woman said. “And we’ve gotta talk. But I can’t talk to you. I need to talk to your source. To the you that doesn’t live in a book.”

“Okay.”

“Cool, so where is she?”

 

            “ZOE!” Zane screamed, pulling at his cage, the bars of steal screaming in protest.

“Fae.” M called. Fae sighed, stepping forward.

“Are you sure you’re willing to do this?” Ashton asked, blocking her path. She forced a smile but nodded. He was obvious that he wasn’t happy but turned as she began to strip, she handed her clothes to Richelle who emerged from the burning house.

Richelle turned, clenching her eyes closed as she heard Fae’s screams. Finally, they stopped and so did Zane’s scrambling. They all three turned to see Fae’s green and black dragon starring at Zane who’d become completely still. “So where we going?” M asked, sashaying to the van.

“Last writing location: Rippey, Iowa. That was over 10 years ago.”

“She always wanted to go to London….” Fae offered.



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
Alright:D Sooooooooooo, Dragons!! I cannot even begin to express my undying love for dragons, but I do love them, so, so much. They become a HUGE, HUGE part in the sequel. SO PAY ATTENTION. Also, I realize I'm not the greatest author in the world, not even close to the top 1000, and the fact that you guys are still reading this, makes me really, really happy. So, thank you. :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on August 6, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: Dragon, pain


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing