Yellow

Yellow

A Chapter by Garrett Leatherman

Yellow is the color of the flame that burns the flesh of my fellow.

Yellow is a fellowly color, a color that feels like a friendly fellow.

Yellow is bright like the sun, the tons of cosmic dust pressed into one,

Pushing against itself for fun until its exhausted its run.

 

Yellow burns like the sun, bellows hot fun at the expense of the other.

Yellow looks like my fellow whose ego is not so mellow, rather it smothers,

Smothers his sense of others such that he burns them like the yellow sun.

Friends are yellow suns: some have fun with you, others while you’re there, stunned.

 

Stunned perhaps by the brightness of the yellow sun of your fellow,

Or stunned by its scorching, evil brilliance that charms with just, “hello!”

Yellow looks fellowly but it’s just a mellow plot that it weaves,

A plot that ties you up until you can’t leave.

 

Yellow is the color of that scorch that torches the heart.

Yellow is the color of the flame that plays games from the start.

Yellow is the flame that burns the flesh of my fellow.

Yellow is the fellow that is me--at last I bellow!



© 2021 Garrett Leatherman


Author's Note

Garrett Leatherman
Please give me an honest critique. Thank you!

I know I use the word "fellow" a lot here. When I sat to write this, the tone most naturally came out as innocent, even child-like at points. Since children don't have an extensive vocabulary they often repeat the same word over and over, hence my abundant use of "fellow" here!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the concept of having chapters that are named after colors. Lots of potential there. I do think it's a bit repetitive-- for example, I see the word fellow at least 8 times. Sometimes repetition works, but in this case it doesn't seem to have a particular purpose besides to rhyme with yellow. You do want to be careful not to force rhymes too much. Rhyming poetry should still have a purpose and a main point behind it, and not just rhyming words for the sake of rhyming. Also, thinking about meter is critical to any kind of rhyming poetry, so make sure you read it back out loud to see if it flows and the rhymes seem to hit on the "beats". Just my suggestions since you wanted some critique. Keep it up!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Garrett Leatherman

3 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your comments!



Reviews

As others have mentioned the word fellow is used to much and it takes away from the poem. I’m also confused what the message of this poem is. However when I read this I can get a sense of your passion and talent and I hope you keep writing because it has a lot of potential.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Garrett Leatherman

3 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time read my poem and give me a review! As I say in the note above:
.. read more
I must say that I get it, but my tongue was twisted a bit awkwardly.
I am no judge and surely no jury and I do believe that everyone has their own
poetic vision, so to speak.

This helped me:

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/7-fundamental-rules-of-poetry/

It wouldn't hurt to check it out. To me, there were just too many 'fellowly fellows'.
I believe that you have vision. Never stop writing.


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Garrett Leatherman

3 Years Ago

Hey there again, Wicahpi. You are the second person to point out the overuse of the word "fellow", a.. read more
Wicahpi

3 Years Ago

I totally understand the 'childlike' reference. With that as your vision for this piece, then maybe .. read more
Garrett Leatherman

3 Years Ago

Thanks for the tip. I'll put that in the description to guide the reader.
I love the concept of having chapters that are named after colors. Lots of potential there. I do think it's a bit repetitive-- for example, I see the word fellow at least 8 times. Sometimes repetition works, but in this case it doesn't seem to have a particular purpose besides to rhyme with yellow. You do want to be careful not to force rhymes too much. Rhyming poetry should still have a purpose and a main point behind it, and not just rhyming words for the sake of rhyming. Also, thinking about meter is critical to any kind of rhyming poetry, so make sure you read it back out loud to see if it flows and the rhymes seem to hit on the "beats". Just my suggestions since you wanted some critique. Keep it up!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Garrett Leatherman

3 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your comments!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2021
Last Updated on January 4, 2021


Author

Garrett Leatherman
Garrett Leatherman

Baltimore, MD



About
Young and aspiring writer, mainly in poetry. I have joined this site to receive honest feedback on my writing, so please please do not be shy in doing so. I would greatly appreciate it! more..

Writing