Dickinson, Plath, and a twenty stone monkey

Dickinson, Plath, and a twenty stone monkey

A Poem by Gee
"

You gotta draw the reader in :)

"
Undeterred, bloodied not bowed,(after yet another poem bombed) he girded his loins. No point mithering he thought with pen poised above the blank sheet before him, this time I will be read, and this poem, my 23rd posted in two days, will be the start of my rise, a meteoric rise as predicted in my biog.
His biog read..
" Hi, my name is William Byron Shelley Brillianto.
I am an author, painter, sculptor, poet, producer, choreographer, director.
Welcome to my page. Prepare to be amazed and have your perceptions of all things art and arty changed. I AM THE FUTURE"..(toot, toot, toot, blow my own trumpet)
24 hours later, 3 views, 1 review which read..
" sometimes more is less. Tis the quality not the quantity that the reader seeks.
You would be better to pen 4 lines of substance with emotion than 4 pages of drivel and dross. And the title, this needs to cause a certain amount of intrigue so as to draw the reader in. For example " A Poem" ( your last title)holds little sway, doesn't get the reader to thinking, whereas a title such as " Dickinson, Plath and a twenty stone monkey" will have the discerning poet wondering as to what the hell that could be about.
Finally, can you paint ? "





© 2020 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
More often than not I am drawn in to read a piece( if the author not known to me) by a titles that gets me to wondering.
Get quite a few folk who bemoan the fact they get few or no reviews so they post more and more of the same !

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Lol, I'm glad you approve ma'am. I remember landing here totally unsure of how my simple fayre would be received but was open to all and any help offered and made a point of reading the established " stars" so as to try and improve. This seems to be rare amongst quite a few of the newbies who land here now and seem to think that they are Gods gift and are not shy to tell everyone...how deluded.
Hope you are well and thank you muchly.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I find humbleness to be one of the great virtues that's gone by the wayside at times . . . (((HUGS)).. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.



Reviews

I love you for this. So many times I am already dead-set against a writer, even if I've never read them before & even if their writing is strong, becuz they toot their horn way too loud & even strong writing cannot stand up to that. If a person is "all that" -- then why aren't they rich & famous? In another way, such pie-in-the-sky profile blurbs warn us that this person cannot tolerate one ounce of criticism, thus they will get shallow flowery reviews instead of some meat to sink their writing teeth into. I honestly do not believe that those guilty of the sins you are pointing out will recognize themselves in your message, nor will they understand what you think they should do about it . . . but this is a good laugh for those of us who've spent 3 or 5 or 10 years here, watching how this always goes! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Agghhhhhhhh, I've replied to you as a review...what a knob !!!
Please read if you get chance .. read more
'Prepare to be amazed and have your perceptions of all things art and arty changed. I AM THE FUTURE"..(toot, toot, toot, blow my own trumpet'

As always, more is more in the morning! For once. having read your devious plan, read the reviews and think your method is Brillianto. Such fun.. Suggest fortnightly contests: winner buys the first round of Liquorice All Sorts.

Wishing you and your darlings a weekend of happy togetherness, choice of peace or din, safety and smiles.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you kind lady. Wife and ma in law are up in Scotland visiting relatives til Tuesday so it is j.. read more
A very interesting perspective Gee. No reviews should be all the more reason for not posting the same drivel. Quantity versus quality yes. I love the title! So funny. Really enjoyed this post.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you kindly Rania, hope you are well :)
Rania M

4 Years Ago

As of now, yes. No telling of tomorrow. I hope yous are safe and stocked up Gee. Take care :)
oh Gee, you cunning linguist, the twenty stone monkey of poetry slam, haha, less is more and more is unwanted and defiled, nice one, not sure about the name check, I am perfectly transparent, don't you know

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

As with a few others your writing is umteen levels above mine, and for me to understand would need t.. read more
gram linski

4 Years Ago

keep on rocking in the quarantined world , Reverend,
I've never been good with titles and I'm guilty of more of the same. :D But, someday I'll find the right niche. I like this, there's a ton of truth in it.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

4 Years Ago

I work in construction where down to earth is the norm and big heads, boasters and braggers are give.. read more
Can I apply for your advice on titles, Gee? I’m terrible at choosing them myself, but you’ve just shown a bit of marketing genius with this one.

A good title can certainly pique the curiosity—as yours did. Two lady poets and a monkey sounds like the beginning of a joke. Which it is, but also a clever commentary. So, mission accomplished.

I know the Brillianto type. These are the types I give a wide berth on writing sites. Basking in your own brilliance can only be satisfying for so long, but some who are merely seeking attention fail to see that growth and honesty are more appealing than constant personality bombardment.

This is very cool. Had me laughing. No bad thing.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Nowt more off putting than reading a poets blurb that doesn't nothing but big them up.
Their .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Well....your title sure got this reader's attention, monsieur Gee! I haven't been here long enough to really pass judgement on the way this site works, but I am gradually getting my bearings and understanding what seems to work and what doesn't. The main thing is to create for yourself and hope it resignates with the readers...and the more the better. I am all for quality over quantity myself. I would rather a few poems of quality than 25 of drivel. This is a clever write; witty and gives this newbie a little more insight into the mechanics of this place. Much enjoyed!:))

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Ahhh, mademoiselle, thank you.
Hope all is well in France and you are avoiding the plague :))
Brilliant Gee. If I could afford the court costs of a plagiarism case, i would copy this whole thing and paste it in my about me section.
Points mean prizes in this lark and if people get told often enough that every thought that dribbles through their mind should be posted and masquerade as a poem, then they invariably do... Even if it is their own thoughts telling them to do so.
I've noticed that the trolls and troolfeeders are catching on to this thinking too and acting all offended at themselves in the hope it will drum up a few more views that will validate their own delusions and keep the not so merry go round turning into eternity.



Posted 4 Years Ago


Lorry

4 Years Ago

There is a discussion on five live right now about that, and most of the other teams spokespeople ag.. read more
Gee

4 Years Ago

Lol. Being a wee bit older than you I remember the teams of the late sixties and all teams since.read more
Lorry

4 Years Ago

Days gone bye for good, like the 67 lisbon lions. Won the european cup with their entire squad born .. read more
Less is always more...
but yes, some will just write more and longer pieces to get attention...and titles can trick us.
your title drew me in considering Dickinson and Plath are numbers one and two on my list of favorite poets...and yes, you took this in a different direction....but i enjoyed reading it, and cheered a few times...maybe i will adopt Brillianto and replace Cilberto...
maybe I will attract more attention...but if i extend my resume...Jack of all trades, master of none, might even get more more more....or less less less, who knows.
this is such a smart write.
thanks for this one, Gee...
i am grinning at your creativeness here.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Ahhh, success.A very discerning poet drawn in :))
Thank you Jacob.
I am the original J.. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2020
Last Updated on March 13, 2020
Tags: Poetry, intrigue, .

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Gone now... Gone now...

A Poem by Gee


Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee