Beneath winter's fallen skies

Beneath winter's fallen skies

A Poem by Gee
"

Simple words

"
Winter with its fallen skies
and cold, dank, heavy air
makes misery (which loves misery)
a much easier cross to bear,
for the audience at the open grave,
for the faces in the hearse,
for the sombre suited "eloquents"
as they read their sombre verse.
For the diggers, bearers, celebrants,
for the mourners as they cry,
death more apt, more doleful
beneath a winter's fallen sky






















© 2021 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

First off, the title was completely amazing, a perfect title to grab attention. It sounds so full of wonderful wordings and metaphors and the contents inside don’t disappoint! Even for someone who loves gray and white and coldness, the winter can be dark even then. But there’s a sort of light that summer doesn’t have and this poem still captured that. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thank you kindly. It is always good to receive lovely comments more so from our peers :))
I think we should just reverse it....let's be miserable in summer and joyful and smiling through the snow and rawness of winter. I always marvel at how people are so sweet to each other on Christmas Eve....always wishing good holiday and smiling, yet the day after Christmas we would slice each other's throat...or worse just ignore each other. I have always thought we should have 364 Christmas Eves and then just have one day on which we snub our noses at each other.
In William Carlos Williams' poem "The widow's lament in Springtime" the title is so Ironic...as is the sadness of the poem with all of the flowers the widow knows are there, but ignores.
Your poem reminds me somewhat of that poem with shades of Shakespeare's poem "Winter."
j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

I think Christmas is the only time that the folk sleeping rough actually get "seen" by the masses a.. read more
Aw a dreary soulful wintry feel poem bunching funerals and cold weather. Gray winter skies do look gloomy as your awesome muse says. Kudos!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thank you SZK
Strangely I've never been to a funeral in the sunshine. It is usually raining. This sums up what a lot of feel at such events whatever the outside weather. Like the song said,'Always rainiing inside'. Tightly and movingly written.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Apologies for not replying to your comment.
Thank you Ken
Yes, the gray skies and chill of winter lend themselves to darker feelings. You describe people at a funeral....watching the casket fall and listening to the eulogies. All written in such wonderful rhythm and rhyme. Good one, Gee. Lydi*

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thank you Lydia
In my 56 years I have attended about five funerals in that time. All of them with the exception of one was on a day just as you describe in this poem. Only my father's funeral was on a hot bright sunny day. The others were overcast dreary and somber. Despite the dark theme this was written very well, Gee.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

It's so much easier to be sad and down when the weather is not good :)Thanks Carlos.
Hope you.. read more
Some would say you have to have a dull, wet day for a funeral. That adds to the ambience of the mournful occasion. I like my funerals blue sky and sunny. That tells me, they are in a happier place. Nice piece Gee. You know simple does it for me. Why make a poem complicated. Happy Sunday.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Happy Sunday back at you :))
Thanks Christine.
Hope you are all well

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 21, 2021
Last Updated on November 21, 2021
Tags: Death, winter

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Haiku #21 Haiku #21

A Poem by mattavelli