Fortissimo

Fortissimo

A Chapter by One Lost Anti-Hero

  My name is Tony and I woke up in my empty room with a headache pounding on me as I tried to get myself to wake up. I am a lazy, unmotivated person who never liked to move at a pace that would force me to go faster or slower. I fell off my bed and landed on top of my brother’s breakfast which consisted of day old pancakes. I lived with my brother who had his own apartment that had one room, a kitchen, and a living room. The room was small enough to fit a bed, computer and futon in the closet because my brother Tommy and I had to share it. Even though the room was made for two people my brother managed to make it seem even smaller than it was already is. His socks were always on the ceiling fan and his shirt was able to stick itself to the roof of the room. I don’t remember how he got it up there or how to get it down, but it was much more work than I wanted. I looked for my alarm clock, which was covered in a gross mossy omelet next to Tommy’s futon. I rubbed the yolk with a napkin to see that it was already eight o’clock.

Are you serious?” I was late for school. Asennica High of Academic Success was a place for children who strive for academic success like it says in the name, but the issue was that it was two miles away and I had to go take the SAT to get my score for college. I had told that idiot that I didn't mind if he stayed up all night, but to wake me up so I could get up early. “Okay not the time to be worried over time just gets your clothes and run.” I ran into my closet to find some clothes to wear, but it was empty and a small note was lying on the shelf.

Washing all your clothes. P.S I told you that I would do it. Take that. ”

Great he remembers to do it on the day that he forgets to wake me up.” I ran around the apartment hoping that I would find something to wear. After about three minutes of searching I managed to find an old t-shirt and some jeans that he left on the floor. My god if it wasn't for the fact that I was taking the SAT which I paid for; I would've decided to take the day off. As I slowly put on the disgusting jeans I almost felt like barfing as I zipped up my pants. If I hadn't said it already this was possibly one of the grossest things I've ever done. Somehow it was warm and managed to feel like it was wet even though it was dry, but I digress I must get to that test before eight thirty.

I am going to kill him when I get home.” I ran out of the apartment as fast as I could, but after about a minute I realized that if I went the normal route to the school that my legs would collapse on me before I was even close to the school because I’m not the most athletic person. Luckily there was a forest that if I went straight through it, then I might make it on time to take my exam without being exhausted. I stopped at the forest entrance and pulled out my iPhone to look at a compass app I downloaded. I was fidgeting with my phone sighing because I forgot to charge it when suddenly someone tapped me on my back scaring the daylights out of me. I turned to see a girl wearing a short sleeve sports blouse khaki pants, and hiking boots. She carried a small backpack filled with what I assume was food or makeup and a notepad in her hand. Her dark black hair was somehow glimmering in the sun stood there looking at me like I was in the way. She pulled out a pen and started writing on the notepad. Then she showed me what she wrote.

Sup. Can u plz move out of the way?” Her handwriting was smooth and elegant like the youthful spring of literature that has passed by us, but her slang was very crude. I casually moved out of the way as she strolled past me without a single sound. I don’t know why, but something odd was with this girl; I mean beside the fact that she was heading into the forest alone. I had rarely spoken to anyone besides my brother, but I didn't know how to get to school through the forest without my compass, so I gathered up what little courage I had and asked her.

Do you know where Asennica High is from here?” I asked because most hikers would probably know the general area. The girl stopped to face me and started to write on her pad again. I wonder why she doesn't just say it instead of wasting time writing on the pad. She showed me her writing once again.

Are you perhaps going to that school as well?” Her face seemed curious like a rabbit crawling out of its cave and yet serious like a lawyer. It was hard for me to believe that someone in such ridiculous clothes can possibly going to such a prestigious school, but never the less she was my only hope of getting there.

I need to get there to take an exam so that I can…” She held one hand up telling me to stop talking before signaling me to follow her. I followed behind her carefully because anything or anyone could be in these woods. We walked in silence for about five minutes before I tried to break the awkwardness with small talk. “So are you new to the school?” She shook her head up and down while trying to ignore me. “So what made you want to come here?” She continued to walk and write on her pad.

Geez a school based off academic knowledge; what possible reason is there to come here?” I was a little annoyed by that response since I was trying to start a conversation. Normally a conversation like this would last about a minute or two; however since she had to keep writing to communicate it lasted about five.

You don’t have to be so rude.” What is with this girl? I was just trying to lighten the mood since we were in such a weird place.

And you don’t have to read my notepad, but you did.” This girl was infuriating, but I had to hold it in so she would get me to school. We walked together in silence again for another five minutes as led me through the forest till I was able to see the school on top of a hill. We stopped next to the creek, but suddenly without hesitation she dropped her stuff and leaped across it with ease. The water was shallow, but it was about a three meter jump to make it across and the rocks didn't seem very stable. I stood at the beginning of creek, while she stood on the end as we eyed each other trying to make the other move. She pointed to her notepad, which she left on my side and told me to bring it to her.

I’m not going to jump for your notepad.” She looked disappointed as she pointed to her notepad again signaling me to bring it to her. “If you want your notepad then come over here and get it.” I didn't want to get wet so I tried to find another way to get across because unlike that girl I wasn't going to risk it, so I started to walk around the creek looking for a place to cross without having to waste energy. About thirty seconds later I heard a thud sound coming from where the girl was. “Looks like she made it over, whatever I think I’m close to the school anyway.” I crossed the creek dry, when something gloomy hit me in my consciousness. She didn't jump over the creek again; instead I could hear a splash every couple of seconds. I turned to see the girl holding the notepad in her hands tightly trying not to get it wet as she slowly hopped on one foot over the water. Why was that notepad so important to her? You could probably buy another at the store for like a dollar, so why did she try so hard to not get it wet. I could see the agony and persistence in her eyes as she tried to cross that creek. I pulled out my phone to see that it was already eight twenty-five, then I heard the first bell ring and I thought that probably would make it if I just left her alone. She would probably make it without my help, so I should probably get going.

You know what to do.” My conscious whispered in my ear and my gut began to cringe. I couldn't help but sigh at what I was about to do. It was completely out of character, plus I was about to lose seven hundred dollars that I took so long to earn to train for that stupid test. I walked back to her at the end of the creek and walked into the water. She looked up at me and looked like she was about to pop a gasket. She showed me the notepad once more and in huge bold letters it’s said, “YOU’RE LATE!!!” I chose to ignore the comment and turned away from her inviting her to get on my back.

Get on.” I didn't really care about what she said anymore. I just wanted to get this day over with already so I can go home. I just wanted things to go my way for once and yet I don’t feel any form of regret doing so; which is odd since I made such a big deal about it. She slowly climbed onto my back and I put both of our backpacks around my neck and crossed the stream. The sensation was cool on my back like a jelly pad evening and by the way I wasn't talking about food either. I reached land and began to climb the hill with the girl on my back.

So what’s your name?” She scribbled onto her pad and placed it in my palm.

You’re going to ask now? You tell me yours first then I’ll tell you mine.” As I read and walked I tripped on a stick, but managed to regain my footing. My neck was tightened in grip as that girl was trying to strangling me. I fell to my knees aggravated by that girl and feeling slightly light-headed. I turned to go off on the girl, but she was already shaking with her eyes shut. When she opened her eyes her face lit like a red balloon and she grabbed the pad from my hands. She started writing on it again, but this time I decided to stop her.

You don’t need to write anything. I’m sorry that I almost dropped you and I’m also sorry that I left you back there. My name is Tony Truong, nice to meet you.” I didn't want her to waste any more time writing and I didn't feel like reading to be honest. We walked in silence until we reached the entrance of the school, also when I said ‘we’ I meant me. I stood at the front door looking for my id through my pockets before realizing that I had left it in my wallet; incidentally it was at home. “I left my id at home so use yours to get inside.” I asked. When I asked her she just shook her head refusing to hand it to me. “Would you please give me your id before I drop you.” She pouted at me then reached in her pants and pulled out her id. I looked at it for a second before realizing that her picture was absolutely awful. I couldn't tell if she was smiling or being interrogated by the police. I tried to hide my laughter, but it was too overwhelming.

I told you not to look.” Her face flustered as I continued to laugh while looking at the card, but suddenly she began to tighten her grip around my neck with her right hand and slam that notebook in my face with the left. I managed to scan the id and take her to the nurse before she strangled me to death. I dropped her on the bed and left the nurses office without any regret at laughing at Aerona. I couldn't make out her last name cause of her strangling, but I got my small revenge so that was worth it.

Who needs oxygen anyways?” I thought as I saw my homeroom teacher walk past me. His name was Dr. Freeman and he was sort of a cold teacher. I mean the guy doesn't even allow you to make up any assignments and the few assignments that he gives out people usually got a bad score. It’s not because the students aren’t trying, but his grading regiment is very strict. The students know that he has a famous quote that he likes to throw around when grading his test. “I see that you are lacking motivation again.” He always emphasizes on the again part which made it all the more bitter when you failed.

Tony was it? Why aren’t you at the testing rooms?” His monotone voice and his eyes were looking deep into my brain forcing to tell the truth.

I woke up late so I decided to take a short cut through the forest, but little did I know that a random mute girl named Aerona showed up and led me through it. Then she tripped in the creek making me have to carry her up here; which in turn made me late.” He stared at me for a brief moment before signaling the doorway.

Go home. You know late students aren't allowed in this school and hopefully you learn from this. If you’re tardy one more time you’re going to be suspended for a week, understand?” I was surprised at the how he dealt with me. Normally I would be nagged into doing things that I didn’t want to do, but for someone to be this reasonable was like breathing again.

Yes.” I was escorted out of the building like a prisoner. I didn't know what to do at that point since I was never late before. I stared at the continuously moving clouds taking form in front of me and decided that I was going to take the day off to recharge my batteries; its not like I had a choice anyways. I chose to forget what happened today and go home to play some good old league. It wasn't the greatest plan, but whatever.

Tony!” The nurse yelled. I turned to see that Aerona had her ankle wrapped in bandages and a scowl on her face.

What do you want from me?” I asked the nurse even though I think I knew what she was about to say.

Well you see it is our school policy to not allow children into school if they are late and since the both of you were late; you’re going to have to take her home.”

Yep totally called it.” I thought. I didn't want to yell, but I could feel my brain cells slowly eating away at my conscious. I smiled and agreed to take her home without making a fuss. I decided to not try to be an idiot and act like a courteous gentleman that all women supposedly prefer. “Well shall we get going?” She wrote on her notebook with an annoyed look.

Why are you talking like you’re an idiot? You know what that means right Mr. Idiot?” That was it I was done with her and this day.

What is your problem? I try to act nice to you, I try not to be a bother and yet you keep treating like I’m nothing.” I thought it over for a sec before calming my mind over it. “Go home, play game, sleep.” I repeated in my head and ignored all my hate for her. “Where is your house?” I asked as she climbed on my back again.

I don’t know where it is so take me to your home.” At this point I didn’t even care about getting her home. Once again our walk there was in complete silence that was surprisingly comforting considering the awful day I had. We walked, I mean I walked, for about an hour before I reached my brother’s apartment. I reached into my pocket to get the keys, but surprisingly they were gone. “Oh yeah these are his pants not mine.” I remembered because I was in such a rush this morning that I didn't even get the keys. That meant that the door was probably still open and it was. I dropped the princess on the couch before looking for some food to eat. I was so worried about the test and school that I forgot about my poor stomach. The girl watched like a hawk or an overzealous researcher watching an experiment as I went into the kitchen to see that a note was written by Tommy saying,

  • No food

  • Call pizza place, Money tv

  • Clothes room

  • Brb getting food

  • ~Also invite a cutie~

I went to the phone to try to ignore the scornful eyes of Aerona. Normally I would be happy with eating a pizza with company, but two problems I realized as I called the restaurant: First was that I loved pepperoni pizza with anchovies and pineapple toppings and second was that I realized that the girl was still in the room and my brother could be back at any minute. If a what I assume a mute girl who is drenched in water and in hiking clothes I’m pretty sure he’s going to say something about it. Plus I kind of unintentionally did the last task, but it’s not like I’m saying she’s cute or anything.

Welcome to Gatti’s Pizza place. What would you like today?” I forgot that I was still on the line.

Um, I would like a large pizza.” I nervously mumbled. Aerona shoved the pad in my face making me read what was written on it. “Just Cheese.” in bold letters blinded me as I covered the phone so that person on the line couldn't hear me. I struggled to get away from her pad, but it was hard since I didn't want to hurt her. Aerona eventually was able to knock me onto the ground and turn the phone off. She was lying on top of me pointing to her pad vigorously as I struggled to comprehend what was going on. “Why would you get a say on what toppings we get anyway, you don’t even live here.” I yelled and that made Aerona even angrier. I could see the fury in her eyes ready to smite me from where I was sitting, but nevertheless I stood or rather sat my ground because there was no way in candy land that I was going to let this girl control me. Aerona took a pencil from my desk and started to write something on the pad in a very scary fashion. Her writing style was crude and her scary face was not making the situation any better. I forgot to mention she did all this without even using her legs so it was kind of like being that ring movie or at least at when she was crawling out of the TV.

Cheese or death.” So from the look of things ordering pizza was now a gunned interrogation, lovely. I sat on the floor weighing my options like it was some simulator game.

Order a plain cheese pizza with no toppings or the potential of death.” I thought. I like living, but plain pizza is so disgusting. It was an impossible decision for me, but to be on the safe side I decided to buy a pizza with anchovies, pepperoni and pineapple toppings. “Hi I would like a pepperoni…” Suddenly I felt a large pain arise from my head as I turned to see that she had smacked me with her pad. “With pineapple and…” smacked again this time with her fists and it really hurt this time.

Pineapples and what sir?” Said the employee who obviously couldn't read the situation I looked back at Aerona and realized she had my brother’s bat this time. I swallowed my pride and decided that maybe pizza wasn't worth dying over.

Change the order I would like a plain cheese pizza please.” My soul felt drained as Aerona smiled knowing that I had been defeated.

That would be ten dollars and will be there in fifteen minutes or less. Thank you for choosing Gatti's Pizza.” I hung up the phone feeling abused and also disheartened. I remembered my favorite anime character’s catchphrase and how it would've fit this situation. “This Misfortune!” Without even asking the girl hopped into the shower as I turned on my computer and loaded up my favorite game or at least at the moment. My account LastOrderx was at an okay level. I mean I wasn't so good that it got me to god tier, but it was something I was proud of. As I loaded it up a recent patch with a random eyeball monster guy named Vel'Koz coming into the game I realized something strange. Aerona was a girl. I know what you’re thinking that Aerona has been a girl the entire time, but to be honest I thought girls were supposed to make you feel flustered and burn up your face like the sun on a bad day. However I didn't feel anything like that I felt well relaxed in an annoyed way, comfortable like lying on an itchy bed and as calm as a typhoon. I typed in my password and started a game with some random guy on my friends list.

Mid or support plz” I typed in chat to call what role I wanted, but I got the best role the jungler. I chose the blind monk and readied myself for the upcoming battle. I went to the giant golem and thought about the way I should play this game. I liked to kill the other jungler, but that meant not helping my team as much and I would be yelled at by my mates. I played for about eight minutes and already my team has given up five kills. That meant that we were behind and technically lost the game at this point or at least from my teams point of view. Then I heard Aerona leave the shower wearing a new pair of clothes. It was a light blue blouse and comfortable looking shorts. It gave me a tropical feel as I heard the doorbell ring. I looked at my game and it was ten kills to two with four towers down. I decided to give up and pay for the pizza. I told Aerona not to mess with it, but I could tell that she was already interested. I showed her the basics of what to do then went to pay for the delicious pizza.

Sup.” It was Michael a boy from my class who decided to work at a pizza place for financial reasons. He was one of those guys who seem to be genuinely kind to everyone and never thought a person was evil. His hair was slightly longer than most boys, but somehow you can still tell that he was boy from behind. Maybe it was because he was a sports fiend who basically led the way for our football team. “Ten dollars for the pizza.”

Okay.” I handed him the money and closed the door. I wasn’t that particularly close to him, but I didn't try to avoid him either. To be honest I didn't want him to see me with someone so he could spread false rumors. I put the pizza on the table and tried to get back to my game, but Aerona had already jumped onto the seat and begun to play for me. “Why are you playing for me?” I looked at the score and it was relatively the same. Ten to two, but something was different about the game we had destroyed towers top and bot side meanwhile mid was now winning. Something was off about her when she was playing the game, physically anyway. Her face was calm and collected taking in the game bit by bit and seeing the advantages that could be made. To be honest she was playing a lot better than I ever did, but that didn't make me mad for some reason. It made me interested in this mute girl, but I didn't know much about girls, even though I’m a teenage boy who should be into these things, and Aerona was a fascinating looking person. The game ended at around twenty-four minutes with Aerona being the victor and as soon as she finished the game she went straight for the pizza. She turned around and stared at me looking to get my permission like a lost animal and who was I to reject her. Aerona showed her pad and you wouldn't believe what was written on it.

You and your bro get ¼.” And if you did the math that was one slice each.

I paid for it that means that you get the lesser half.” So I may have been forced to carry her around all day and order a pizza that I didn’t want to eat, but I wasn't about to let her eat all the pizza by herself. I was about to yell, but then a small tap was on hit me on the head.

Don’t be rude.” It was my brother who finally came home from work and he was looking somewhat pleased at our guest. Aerona looked confused, but when my brother pushed me aside to get a better look at her she knew his intentions. My brother was staring at her straight on and Aerona was looking back at him. Her face was flustered and I could see the pad in her hand was beginning to wrinkle up. I had to do something because of my male hero complex, but I didn't know what to do. If I had said that she was my friend his assault wouldn't stop, but if I say she’s much more than I’ll die of embarrassment. She looked at me for a second before my brother grabbed her hand and pulled her away. Her ankle was still hurting and he didn't even notice it. He was trying to get her to follow him and that sent a pulse running through me making me angry for some reason. “She’s not yours right?”

Well we are classmates I guess.” My response was lack luster and didn't stop him in the least.

Then I will just take her then; no hard feelings alright.” He dragged her to the door and was about to leave; when my body moved and grabbed his hand. “What is it? I’m taking this adorable creature on a date so don’t try to stop me.

I-I was lying she is mine so please get your hands off her.” My voice was like an echo getting quieter the more I talked. I was so nervous that I couldn't look him in the eyes, but from the silence I could tell that he didn't believe. I heard him sigh really loud and as soon as he let go of Aerona’s hand she ran behind me like I was some sort of savior. My brother put his arm over my neck and leaned closer to my ear.

You just raised a flag little bro.” He whispered.

Why you!” I wanted to punch him so badly, but he had already run out the door; leaving Aerona and me to collect our thoughts. I had forgotten that my brother had a fiance and that I fell right into his trap again. We stood there in silence unable to look at each other, but after a couple of frightful minutes I decided to try and lighten the mood so I took a deep breath and said.

So that was interesting huh. I mean it’s not strange for a girl like you to be hit on, but for me to say something like that was well…” I couldn’t think of anything to say because my heart was still racing against the speed of sound. My brain was jellified as I tried desperately to think of some comforting to say, but I was at a loss of words. I’m sorry was the only thing I could think of to say. Aerona grabbed and pulled me to her bag. She was looking for something inside if it, but with the way she organized the bag it was going to take a while. I began to space out and I smelled something delicious in the house, but what was it? “Hey Aerona did we ever eat that pizza?” Suddenly she stopped searching and looked at the table. She grabbed her head in shame probably thinking about the pizza that was cooled off by the events earlier. I opened the box and my guess was spot on the pizza was now warm and the cheese wasn't gooey anymore; it was like a layer of cream on the pizza and judging from Aerona’s face she didn't like that type of pizza.

Re-order.” She showed me on her pad. I assumed that she was going to threaten me or something, but she simply smiled and wrote please on her pad. I kind of wanted to refuse, but with a face like that it was kind of hard. I ordered another one hot pizza, using my savings by the way. Another fifteen minutes went by and as I bit into my warm gross pizza I remembered something scary.

Aerona?” She looked at me holding her sixth slice of pizza. “Where do you think you are going to sleep? Don’t you have to go home soon or something? I’m not saying that you can’t stay, but I’m worried with two men around are you going to be okay?” She was puzzled at first, but she started to write on that pad again this time it said.

Where is the other man is it your father?” I was stabbed by those words because what little pride I had was just crushed. To her I wasn't even a threat like a tiny little dust mite flowing through the air. Astounded by her judgment I gave up and sank into my state of depression. It engulfed me ever so slowly making my vision grow dark before disappearing.

Leave me alone.” I heard myself say. It was monotone and detached moving further away as time passed on. I couldn't breathe or move; I just sat there looking at the ground as my surroundings faded away. Suddenly everything was shaking becoming more and more intense. I heard a voice that was barely audible.

Come back please.” I woke up from the darkness and saw Aerona shaking me vigorously. She looked mad but why? It wasn't like me being sick was of any importance to her right? I was some stranger that could be doing bad things to her right now, so why did she care so much? Why was a hopeless idiot like me trying to achieve something?

Ah, sorry I spaced out for a bit sorry. What were we talking about?” I put on my best fake smile and tried to reboot the conversation. It wasn't working; I knew it didn't, but I had to try to reboot that’s all I can do. “So where do you want to…” Aerona was petting my head like a child. It was pleasant for what it was and the feeling impossible for me to explain, but I’ll try. Her hand was emitting some kind of beam that shot itself straight into my chest. The nauseous tornado that was my stomach seemed to calm along with my mind. Neither of us said a word, but I could feel many words being thrown out striking down my uneasiness.

It was around one in the afternoon and I had felt exhausted; well emotional anyways. Aerona wanted to play league some more and I wasn’t going to stop her. Well it was more of me being so relaxed on the couch that I couldn't do anything. To my surprise she had an account of her own; which explains why she was so good, but something was strange about her account. It had zero friends and her ranking was much higher than mines. The couch was small barely able to fit two people sitting on it, but it didn't matter because I was all snuggled up. My eyes grew heavy as time flew by and as my sight began to blur. I began to realize how warm I felt and it was nice, truly nice. I couldn't feel the world anymore as I spaced out and headed toward the dream world.




© 2015 One Lost Anti-Hero


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A intense chapter with a good ending. I like the thoughts/conversations and the sharing of the food. You create good characters and interesting tale. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


One Lost Anti-Hero

8 Years Ago

Yea I always loved eating and making notes in my head so I just try to project them onto my characte.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You did and was a interesting chapter.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on March 15, 2015


Author

One Lost Anti-Hero
One Lost Anti-Hero

TX



About
I'm just a person that can be described in very few words. Shy, simple, and human are just to name a few. I like to put on a mask and use various personalities to try to make things as relaxing If we .. more..

Writing