-eight- the test

-eight- the test

A Chapter by L.L. Lily

"What do you mean you don't do lipstick?" Exclaimed Silvia, forcibly smearing a chalk of lipstick on Quinn's small chapped lips, with Quinn's squirming and utter refusal, the chalk missed and a dented line of scarlet like a misled sharpie streamed unevenly from her lips to her chin. 

"I don't do lip gloss either." Quinn declared lifting herself up to her feet and dabbing a soiled Kleenex across her chin, the scarlet flaw disappearing. "I always hated cosmetics, I cant stand feeling the sticky stuff on my skin it feels like a sweaty mask." She concluded examining herself on the glossy wardrobe mirror, unlike hers, Silvia's were twice the size and each end were decorated with cute puffy strawberry stickers. 

She twirled once, stopping to look at her back, the white vintage dress, backless revealing too much of her skin. She twirled again this time stopping to face the mirror, waterfalls of pearls hung around the dress and the entirety of its front and collar. Silvia hung large pearled earrings to match her outfit tonight not to mention had forcibly smeared eyeliner on her eyes, the liquid kind which to Quinn's field of vision felt like her eyes were burning, felt like she was going to be blind. To compliment her eyeliner, Silvia had dabbed moonlight-teal mascara on and curled her short eyelashes, and a touch of pale blush on to hide her vampy corpse complexion. 

The final touch was the only thing Quinn was happy about: the pinned up bleached curls of hers with the bouncing strands streaming at both sides of her face. Quinn had to admit, she looked stunning, and the thought of Silvia intentionally doing her makeup to make her a personal punching bag wasn't half bad. She wasn't as glittery spontaneous as she was with her lacy black Lilly's dress but she was presentable. Not too showy and not too disappointing for the reason she had dressed up in the first place: for the guild.

A whistle came from across the room, Dimitri in a casual all black suit propped himself against the wooden doorframe. He looked them up from top to bottom, stopping his graze at the exposed area of Quinn's thighs, the styling of the vintage dressed had a large splice on both ends of its sides. 

Silvia wearing an exhausted expression let out a puff of her breath, setting the steaming hot blow dryer down and now retouching Quinn's bangs. She bit her lip, utterly precise in every detail like an amateur salonist. "There that should do it, Quake."

"Uhm, its actually Quinn." Quinn corrected. 

"Well whatever." Sassed Silvia dismissing the thought with a wave of her hand, and fell on her back in her queen sized divan. Quinn wouldn't even blame her, it took some time and a lot of energy to make a woman this pretty, and man was she a goddess with those god like speed and skills of hers. 

Dimitri strolled across the room, his tall figure towering over Quinn. He rested his hands on her bare shoulder "Don't mind her," he said clicking his tongue teasing her neck with his finger tracing small circles on her shoulder blades flirtatiously, Quinn sucked in her breath, his seductive playboy touch was hitting her limit, but he didn't seem to mind. "she sucked in remembering names."

"Yeah took me long to remember dimwit over there." Bit back Silvia smacking the point of her high heels on the back of his head. 

"Ouch." Beckoned Dimitri rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, "After all we've been through?"

Silvia gave a viscous unconcerned snicker, "It's just a one night stand sweet heart," she cooed her words bitter with her dark eyes and careless expression, "no hard feelings."

The Midnight bells tolled, the same did with explosions of fireworks exploding in the brilliant night sky. All eyes including Quinn's followed out focusing on the colorful skies reflected by the mirrored windows, explosions of grass green, midnight blue, bloody red, sunny yellow, all did let out large illuminated boom to the heavens above and spilling a painting of joy to welcome the year. 

Dimitri patted Quinn's shoulder for the last time as he turned to leave the room, Silvia following after him. "It's time," he said with a ghostly smile, "we'll be waiting downstairs. Good luck."

A light knock came from Silvia's room door soon after, Quinn sat on the revolving high chair of Silvia's wardrobe station, staring at herself one last time before heading down. Lucas strode in, his silver French suit polished to perfection, Quinn watched him the same way he did in her room, his reflection coming closer and stopping behind her. 

"Tonight is the night," he said his face drawing near hers, his words gentle as a whisper pass her ears, his closeness, and breath tickling her insides. He draw back the webby leftovers of her hair, his slim cold fingers sliding and tracing the lines of her neck and collarbone sending pleasing electric waves through her skin and entire body. He drew a golden chain, slightly shorter than her silver necklace, and on the center dangling with glamorous delight winking at her was a priceless diamond encrusted ring, simple yet charming. 

Quinn looked up, her suddenness would have almost made their lips touch, her face inches from his, his graze intensely locked on hers. "This would be my debut present for you." He cooed planting a light kiss on her forehead and walked away so swiftly she barely saw him move, he looked back a passive smile crossing his lips as he held the door in front of him, "Good Luck."

Bright lights spilled over Quinn as the double doors opened making way for her, like the large double doors of a cathedral on her wedding day, opening upon the arrival of the bride-her. Her knees were shaking, her heart beating fast in fear. She felt the gasp and intense graze of the crowd, foreign faces she never seen were all in elegant clothing. She skimmed the crowd for someone, anyone recognizeable but only to be discouraged that she only knew only some if not none of them at all. 

Elliot she spotted was in the corner distanced away from the crowd and like the time she met in him a study he was engaged in a deep scholar like reading of a dusty paperback novel while he tucked an arm tucked under the other. Gaius was huddled together with men quite older and sophisticated than he was chuckling as they exchanged jokes Quinn couldn't hear except the clanking of the wine glass filled to the top with scarlet on their hands. Dimitri and Silvia, she spotted was near the large fountain in the center of the room, scarlet water drizzled like rain as Dimitri held out a cup seeming to catch them, his expression utterly obvious that he was holding back the urge of wanting to swim inside or lean forward and stick his tongue rebelliously just to drink from it. Her graze stopped and rested on Lucas who was by the end of the glass spiral staircase. He wore a dignified smile, boosting her confidence. 

She strode down the steps, slowly but surely, engraved within her thoughts was making sure she had made a good impression, walking the walk and talking the talk. Like a model whose delicate steps sparked lust and admiration from the crowd. She finally stopped beside Lucas, his arm angled acutely, she slid her arm inside, clamping and clinging to him reassuringly. Lucas turned to the crowd, clearing his throat before he spoke. His voice so clear and admirable, fit and captivating as if he was used to such festivities, such speeches in a large crowd. Quinn, as a lawyer felt embarrassed to admit she was scared, in the court when she was still human, she was a tough chick, very well spoken and yet here she was speechless and at lost of words. 

"Honorable Guests, colleagues," began Lucas turning to face each side of the crowd equally, "its been a while since we have all met here in the holy grounds of our beloved manor. I would like to thank all of you for your attendance. Tonight we yet again had stepped into another milestone. A new member of the Garner Clan had been added, here as we stand in front of you today. In commemoration of her debut and the welcoming of a new and prosperous year." He raised his glass, glancing down at Quinn, his Jade-green eyes translucent with the chandelier lights, "cheers."

The crowd did the same, lifting their glasses out with such passion and dedication, and to this Quinn thought was amazing as to how he could manange to gain everyone's outmost respect and attention.

Glasses clanked together, Quinn who was still clamped together with Lucas, raised a glass she received not too long ago from a steward she barely met or even knew existed to live in the manor ans Lucas snakes his hand with hers, both exchanging a share of their glass, "cheers" he said flashing her his shiny sharpened inscisors. "Cheers," she repeated and clanked their glasses together before taking a sip.

A jealous screech came from the joyous crowd. Everyone with utter amusement seemed to have frozen searching the entire ballroom for its origin. Then suddenly all the lights went out, the chandeliers above rumbling. Next thing Quinn knew she was being attacked by something light and strong at the same time. Her vision adjusted, her serpentine silver yellow irises over powered by bloodshot red. 

In her vampy night vision she could see an enraged woman, someone no older than her. Waterfalls of her auburn hair fell from her shoulders snaking around Quinn's face as the woman strangled her, her pale complexion turning ocean blue by the second. Quinn clawed the woman, forcing her vicious grip out of her neck. The woman let out a screech of defying pain, pulling her hands away and licking the streaming blood. Quinn used this opportunity get back at her, turning the tables by restraining her down, this worked for a short period of time but the woman had gained her composure and swung Quinn in midair and slammed against the brick walls, spiderweb like cracks forming behind her. 

Quinn, rage burning her pupils black flung herself at the auburn haired woman, her improved speed and precision paying off by her locking her arms on the woman's neck in a blink of an eye. The auburn haired woman quite taken aback flinched, then let out a screech of annoyance, twisting Quinn's grip and swinging her through the banquet, the stacks of glass shattering and stabbing its point through her skin. 

The woman let out a triumphant giggle, striding across the room to meet Quinn's shattered body, her classy vintage dress torn and stain with blood as well as the waterfalls of beaded pearls scattering around them. The woman let out a "tsk-tsk" sound and stepped on Quinn's defenseless body, her heals like the shards of glasses below her stabbing and igniting the already piercing pain within her. 

She pressed all her weight on its edge, making Quinn wince and cough out blood. "Pity, Pity" said the woman scorching the tip of her heals like one would do when squishing an inferior cockcaroach, "you're nothing." she said haughtily with an obvious exasperated Russian accent. 

Quinn gasped, the heals crushing her un-beating chest and useless wind pipe of lungs, she clenched her teeth and mustered all her energy into gripping the woman's leg, and without further delay, flipped the woman like a weightless rag doll and pinned the woman down, legs clipped between her hips and arm crushing a restraint on her neck. 

Everything seemed to go black in her field of vision, anger and hunger taking over. Quinn's fangs descended, and the thought of crushing the woman's bones to ashes crossed her mind. Or like what common angered drunkards did when furious did punching a whole through her guts or something in that violent field. 

She was near doing so when a hand rested on her bruised shoulder and the lights shot out. "That's enough," said the man in a full ebony black suit, his stern expression scaring the living day lights out of Quinn as she removed her grip from the woman's neck, the woman below her bruised and bloody. Her sea blue gown like hers ruined and stained with her blood. She sat up wiping the blood off her lip as Lucas joined them, aiding Quinn up on her feet. 

"We didn't mean to start a commotion here Lucas," said the man turning to face and bow slightly at Lucas. "I see now why you taken an interest with her." He casted a quick glance at Quinn and rested a displeased glance at the auburn haired woman who was now on her feet. "Tina what have I told you of attacking before the signal?" 

Tina bowed, a blush visibly playing on her pale bloody cheeks. "A vamp who is told before hand is not worthy to pass the test." She snapped, and a pair of bats flew in carrying a long silky black robe. She smirked slightly nodding as she slid into the silky robe, the two bats disappearing as fast as they enter. 

Tina after dusting off her robes and looking less likely to have once been engaged to the earlier fight clasped her hands together, and unlike her previous actions looked more like a person of righteous heritage and beliefs. "Congratulations," she said a mocking grin passing her lips. "You passed." 

Quinn turned to look at Lucas, a dumbfounded expression staining with her badly bruised cheeks. Lucas shook his head dabbing a light pink handkerchief on the scratches near her lips, "it's like an initiation, although I wasn't expecting them to do it to you as well." 

"Oh Lucas," Tina continued shifting her auburn hair from one shoulder to another, "a flirt as always." Tina looked up meeting Quinn's graze, her irises glowing fire orange as they stared into Quinn's receding bloodshot to silver yellow. "If you keep treating your female fledglings like a princess, they'll eventually grow weak and dependent to the core."

"As far as I'm concerned," mocked Lucas regarding the two-heads shorter woman across him, "you weren't good at the job yourself." 

"I'm just saying sweetheart, its not always good to feed a pet as much as they can eat. You'll never know who would bite you back. " Tina said a passive irritable look visibly playing on her face as she spun on her heals, "Come on Charlie, this shindig is about to reach its end." 

Charlie nodded slightly bowing towards Quinn and followed the shorter woman out the large stained glass double doors. They looked like a typical duo you'd find in cartoons, the short hothead brainy cat and the tall tailing loyal dog. Quinn watched them disappear with the stain glass double doors automatically closing behind them and the previous clamor devoured by the continuous partying as if nothing had happened. 

Lucas rested a hand over her shoulder and the roofless top overhead was lit up by continuous fires of sparkling fireworks. "Happy New Year," he said and looked up at the luminous sky above them, "yeah," said Quinn half heartedly, "happy new year."


© 2013 L.L. Lily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on December 18, 2013
Last Updated on December 18, 2013


Author

L.L. Lily
L.L. Lily

About
Everyone has a beautiful life story, you lead it, life writes it to what we call past or history. No matter how small, every little detail counts. My paper, your pen our hands joined as an beautiful i.. more..

Writing
authors note authors note

A Chapter by L.L. Lily


BUlletproof BUlletproof

A Story by L.L. Lily